"Sunshine Protection Act"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrT999

Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
According to an AP story in my newsfeed, the Senate passed a bill which would make Daylight Saving Time permanent when it comes in next year. My first thought was along the lines of: these folks are mostly my age or older, and should remember when this was tried during the oil embargo of 1973-74. People complained v loudly about their kids having to walk to school in the dark, since in many places dawn was after 8:00 am during the winter (or later in mid-December-early January in more northern areas). Memory problems? Or don't kids have to walk to school much any more? Guess we'll see what happens if it passes into law....

Senate approves bill to make daylight saving time permanent

While most kids seem to be taking a bus to school, but they still have to walk to their bus stop and stand outside in the dark during daylight savings.

How is it going to help the economy or save energy? There's 24 hours in a day. So you get up an hour earlier, which in winter would still be dark and you go to bed an hour earlier. So you have the lights on an hour earlier in the am and turn them off an hour earlier at night. I think there are more pressing issues they should be worrying about.

Why not just get rid if it altogether? In AZ we don't do DST and I don't find it a problem at all.
Because further north, folks don't like the idea of the latest summer sunset before 8:00 pm? (summer solstice sunrise at 4:00 doesn't seem bother people so much anymore but early sunset in the summer?).

Because further north, folks don't like the idea of the latest summer sunset before 8:00 pm? (summer solstice sunrise at 4:00 doesn't seem bother people so much anymore but early sunset in the summer?).
So they don't like it getting dark at 8 pm but they are okay sending the kids out to catch the schoolbus in the dark? Still doesn't make sense to me.

My daughter's kids this summer will be ages, 7, 6, and 3. Getting them to bed at night with DST is difficult when the sun is still shining.

How is it going to help the economy or save energy? There's 24 hours in a day. So you get up an hour earlier, which in winter would still be dark and you go to bed an hour earlier. So you have the lights on an hour earlier in the am and turn them off an hour earlier at night. I think there are more pressing issues they should be worrying about.
It isn't. It hasn't been about energy or the economy for decades and decades. I read a book about it several years ago. DST still exists because it has some major industries lobbying for it: outdoor sports (esp. golf), outdoor living (think patio furniture and bbq grills), etc. There was another big one unrelated to those that I can't remember right now, and I can't find the book. I think it may have been in a group I donated to the library to clear shelf space.

Most retailers favor DST because many people don't like leaving a store with packages when it's dark outside.

I live 6/6 in SoAz and WI. We keep our bedroom cool and blacked out so as not to loose sleep we when the sun rises at 5:00 am.

It's too bad they aren't willing to put their names on things that matter more than this. I'm good with this happening, but geez. If this is all you can be bi-partisan about, you're a screw.

They just need to pick one and stick with it. When the sun is directly overhead it should be noon according to the clock. I know things shift during the seasons but pick whichever keeps noon on the clock closest to when the sun is straight up in the sky.

I slept until 8:00 this morning, not my usual 7:00 CST.