Super Value Black Cavendish

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Just posted the following review on TR. Reproduced here for your edification:

Dream Castle Tobacco Company - Super Value Black Cavendish

Sometimes I think that Altadis blends are distributed solely through sample packs, because it is nearly impossible to imagine anyone in their right mind willfully choosing to purchase concoctions with names such as ‘Super Value Black Cavendish’ with the expectation such a pouch would contain the makings of a pleasurable experience. Furthermore, the very fact that the blend proclaims itself to be comprised of ‘All Natural Tobacco’ (is there such a thing as ‘artificial’ tobacco and if so from what is it made?) and that it is, and I quote, "cool smoking, even burning without the bite!" (yes, an exclamation point is actually used on the label) should furnish sufficient warning to steer clear.

Therefore, when a 1.5 oz. pouch of the stuff showed up (uninvited, mind you) in a recent order from an otherwise quite reputable online tobacconist, I was faced with something of a dilemma. Giving the unopened pouch an initial sniff, I quickly determined that I had four options in front of me. First, I could simply toss it is the trash and move on to sampling the new tin of GLP Westminster which was in the box, or that inviting tin of the recently released McClelland-Gage retrofit Three Oaks Original, or that dashing tin of 2009 Christmas Cheer, or even chose to dip into that four ounce bag of a rather scrumptious looking VaPer flake which had come along for the ride. Nope, I’ll get to those later – first I have to deal with this conundrum. Second, I could put the pouch in a drawer and pass it along later to some poor unfortunate soul with an empty pipe and a big grin, but after a moment realized that if the law of karma does indeed exist then I might be in for some trouble down the line. I decided not to chance it. Third, I could simply go out front and dump the contents into the flower bed, but then how would I explain to my wife that I may well have been the one responsible for killing those lovely petunias? I thought it best not to risk it. Fourth, I could open up the pouch and give it a whirl. What is the worst that could happen? After all, it is ‘All Natural Tobacco’ distributed by an outfit calling themselves Dream Castle. I mean, come on, natural tobacco, castles, and dreams – what’s not to like?

So, my mind was made up. I was going to smoke it.

For what I assumed would be a Dante-like descent into a pit of ever more horrific sights, sounds, and smells a suitable pipe was chosen: an old Yello-Bole Brylon (yes, ‘Brylon’, it is a manufactured composite of nylon and briar dust) whose bright yellow chamber coating had all but flaked off save near the heel and a bit into the shank. For after all, you did not think I would take a Radice from the rack for sampling this blend, did you? No, just as one is advised to, say, use a flute for champagne and a snifter for brandy, Brylon and Super Value Black Cavendish seemed a good pair – the vessel should complement its contents, shouldn’t it? It was either that or go up the street to the cigarette shop and grab a small Chinese made cob for a buck-fifty, because I did not want to risk fouling those nice Missouri Meerschaums which I enjoy so much. Since no one would ever take the Yello-Bole off my hands, and because I cannot justify throwing away a perfectly good pipe (even one composed of Brylon), this is where it landed.

While the heady aroma of the blend is quite noticeable at arm’s length, opening the pouch and giving it a good, long whiff was quite the experience. The pouch note was strong and assertive, reminding of ‘Swiffer Wet’ cleaning pads, raisins, Murphy’s Oil Soap, and that one kind-of-blue-but-not-really syrup they have at IHOP (you know, the one that you think is plain maple because its 3:30 a.m. and you are all blurry eyed but real hungry but then you accidently put it on your pancakes and say, “Oh man, what the hell is that”!). In terms of appearance, the blend comes as a thick, deep black mixed ribbon cut with just a smattering of dark brown ribbons (apparently those which escaped the steam topping treatment) here and there. Under good light, the ribbons appear quite shiny and glitter a bit when looked at just right. Weird.

This stuff is moist, very, very moist and man is it ever sticky! Sticky like the hands, face, arms, hair, and feet of a fussy toddler who has been nursing an ice bar for a good half-hour or so. A warm washcloth just isn’t going to do it, and even handling the ribbons for a brief time means a trip to the sink. Try it – just play around with the mix for a bit, and then stick your fingers together – feels just like working with craft paste.

Way too wet to pack straight out of the pouch, I duly apportioned a bowl’s worth and laid it out to dry. A hour passed, no change. Three hours, no noticeable difference, must be all that propylene glycol or whatever cocktail of humectants the good folks at Dream Castle Tobacco Company doused the ribbons in before loading them into my sample pouch. Perhaps tomorrow morning – I mostly like my tobaccos on the crispy side anyway, and assume given the heavy sauce applied to this particular offering that it is going to be a rather wet smoke no matter what. Off to bed.

Morning. My God, it is still wet! Really wet. How is that possible? Is it the case that all those other smoking tobaccos, my beloved GLPs and McClellands, are actually – gasp – ‘Artificial Tobaccos’! Is this what ‘All Natural Tobacco’ really is? In all my life, I swear I have never seen a pipe tobacco stay so moist for so long. Into the microwave you go! Fifteen seconds – steam! Oh crap, my wife is going to smell this and start in again about, “yew, that stinks...”, “take it outside...”, “your pipes don’t belong in the kitchen... “, and so forth and so on, and so forth and so on. Damn you Altadis and your cursed ‘All Natural Tobaccos’, and especially your cool smoking Black Cavendish. Fifteen more seconds – this really does stink, actually, and boy if it isn’t piping hot.

Dry now, and noticeably lighter in color to boot, said Black Cavendish finally seems ready for the old Yello-Bole. So, Brylon in hand and grabbing a can of warm generic, ‘Best Value’, cola from the garage steps and a book of paper matches, the stage was set.

First light, second light, third light, fourth light. This is actually not dry at all, but rather seems to have somehow re-moistened itself between the trip from the microwave, to the Brylon, and on into the smoking den (aka, the garage). Let it rest a bit. Go inside, get the laptop. A fifth match and a bit of tamping on what remains a spongy mass finally produces an ember. Puff, puff. Hey, this is kind of smooth. Mild flavor, a bit of candy corn, a bit of maple, a little sweetness. More candy corn, but a little hotter now. Starting to bite a bit. Slow down, think about its characteristics. Have some cola. Back on track now. The flavor and mouthfeel are quite similar to the fruity shisha favored in most every hookah bar nowadays, no familiar tobacco notes to be had. Is there molasses here? Take it on its own terms. O.K. More candy corn, bubble gum or pink cotton candy, thin in body, wet – the Brylon begins to gurgle. Could be the pipe, could be the Cavendish. Could it be both? Half way there, starting to feel just a little queasy. Could be the warm cola, could be the Cavendish. Could it be both? A noticeable dose of vitamin N, yes this was indeed a Burley at one time. Possibly some Maryland in there as well, but just a guess as the casings / toppings are all that can really be discerned. Why does this not taste like tobacco?

Head swims a bit. I am not a lightweight. Get up, walk around, then back to the Yello-Bole and the laptop. More puffing, this stuff burns well. I am surprised. The Brylon is getting really hot – have to hold it by the shank. Tamp, tamp – a big puff. Whoops, starting to cough. Head still spinning. The flavor does not change, but does begin to fade noticeably following the half way point. A little tongue bite, but no big deal, I’ve experienced much worse. More cola, more puffing. A lot of smoke. This tastes like Cpt. Black, I think, but it has been a while. End of the bowl, the flavor is long gone, the body is thin and the finish vapid, a bit wet, leaving behind a curious metallic-like aftertaste. Could be the pipe or the cola perhaps? Or the Cavendish? Who cares, for all three are really quite awful in their own little ways.

So I am left thinking whether or not decision number four was the right one. Perhaps, in that it makes me think seriously about how I might feel if Super Value Black Cavendish were the only tobacco available to me, if a Brylon pipe with a flakey yellow bowl coating were the only pipe to be had, and if warm generic cola was the only beverage option. As such, I consider myself fortunate to have both the means and the wherewithal to not need to be put into a position to have to chose among such options, and thus have come to appreciate – more so then before – the blessings, while modest, of having the choices that I have. Now, on to those new McClellands!

Sounds like it should be renamed to:

I CAN'T BELIEVE ITS NOT TOBACCO!

Great review, my sides are STILL sore from laughing dammit :lol!:

mark":9slo697x said:
Tobacco snob.... :p
If only it were tobacco (I am still not sure), perhaps it is better called a 'tobacco product' (i.e., like Velveeta, a 'cheese product', but not actually cheese?).

Hoot mon, indeed what a hoot! LOL

Truly enjoyed your review and will mark this down as one to "be sure not to fail to miss this one". I don't know who smokes these concoctions, no one I know...and admits it, but there must be a market, for there seems to be more candied tobacco out there than others. Maybe not in the tobacconists, but if you count all the packaged OTC brands found in all the outlets, "Aros rule!".

And i have found several of the plain English" blends from altadis smokable, not faves, but certainly acceptable in a pinch, but you look at their entire list of blends and the "candy" flavours rule the listing, which probably means they rule the sales. And with a name like "Super Value Black Cavendish" I assume it is designed to sell in Walmart or Meijers in those "pillow" size packages.

Thank you for taking one for the team! :cheers:

Al (in canada)
Solani White 7 Black (763) in a Comoy Wembley

Al in Canada":7wamgcuh said:
And i have found several of the plain English" blends from altadis smokable, not faves, but certainly acceptable in a pinch, but you look at their entire list of blends and the "candy" flavours rule the listing, which probably means they rule the sales. And with a name like "Super Value Black Cavendish" I assume it is designed to sell in Walmart or Meijers in those "pillow" size packages.

Thank you for taking one for the team! :cheers:

Al (in canada)
Solani White 7 Black (763) in a Comoy Wembley
Thanks, I really appreciate it and glad I could entertain over what is (for us here south of the border at least) a long weekend.

You know, Altadis bugs me a lot. Every year they send all kinds of horrible free samples to our local pipe club and a giant box of pouches to the local show every year for distribution (via our local B&M). What they do not realize is that most of the guys (and gals) who belong to pipe clubs and go to pipe shows in the first place are really not all too likely to want to indulge in Goopy #2, Cherry Surprise, Viking Delight or whatever. It is a bad marketing decision on their part - or at least that is how I see it based on the folks I know. I realize that there is a market for these PG soaked concoctions, but that ain't it!

Imagine, scoring a great new Tinsky at the show and then picking up a few free pouches of Super Value Buttered Rum on your way out the door for which to break it in (last year, at the show, there was a whole bunch of these pouches left at the end of the day - no one would even take them)! There is a whole class of high quality aros. - made by C&D, various European manufacturers, etc. - which are worth smoking, but not the Altadis stuff to be sure.

So, when the online retailer (which is home to a great blender whose name begins with R.) sent me a pouch of the Super Value Black Cav. along with my GLPs, McClellands, etc., I knew I had to do something with it.

Glad you enjoyed it and I do pray that you do not find yourself in a similar situation anytime soon - life is just too short!

Cheers!

Yippie!! :bounce:
I too, was lucky enough to receive a sample
of Super Value Black Cavendish.
It is jet black and rather foul smelling.
I haven't opened it. After rereading the review,
I don't feel up to it.

Deep and well earned kudos for having the intestinal fortitude to smoke a bowl of that crapola.

As a sidenote:
I have a friend who gets samples from Altadis every once in a while. He offered a few of them to a homeless pipesmoker he knows. That man now no longer speaks to my friend and crosses the side walk when he sees him coming.

I was talking to a student today--he's just finished his active duty hitch in the Navy, and he's transitioning from cigs to a pipe. I asked him what kind of tobacco he's tried.
"I have this big bag of Black Cavendish."
"Not 'Super Value' Black Cavendish?"
"Yeah, that's the stuff."

So, now I have a mission: to spare one of America's returning heroes from the horrors of Super Value.

(I think some Navy Flake might be apropos!)

Kap,
I'm unsure of what to do...

We need to either give you a BoB Purple Heart and Silver Star, V for valor...

Or smack ya upside da head for hurting a poor defensless pipe...You better hope PETP (People for the Ethical Treatment of Pipes) doesn't hear about this.

Doc Manhattan":48ll5cay said:
I was talking to a student today--he's just finished his active duty hitch in the Navy, and he's transitioning from cigs to a pipe. I asked him what kind of tobacco he's tried.
"I have this big bag of Black Cavendish."
"Not 'Super Value' Black Cavendish?"
"Yeah, that's the stuff."

So, now I have a mission: to spare one of America's returning heroes from the horrors of Super Value.

(I think some Navy Flake might be apropos!)
That is the most disturbing story I have heard in quite some time.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":u0gqqixu said:
As a sidenote:
I have a friend who gets samples from Altadis every once in a while. He offered a few of them to a homeless pipesmoker he knows. That man now no longer speaks to my friend and crosses the side walk when he sees him coming.
That is the second most disturbing story I have heard in quite some time.

puros_bran":ciuo8l93 said:
Kap,
I'm unsure of what to do...

We need to either give you a BoB Purple Heart and Silver Star, V for valor...

Or smack ya upside da head for hurting a poor defensless pipe...You better hope PETP (People for the Ethical Treatment of Pipes) doesn't hear about this.
Well, I guess I now know what not to include in the box pass next year - or, perhaps, what to include if someone gets me in trouble with PETP!

(PETP, hilarious, absolutely hilarious).

I like cheap tobaccos on occasion. Not quite sure why. I just do. Oftentimes it's for old times sake as drug store and B&M aromatics were all I smoked and knew of when I was young.

Never tried it but at $1.00 an OZ, Super Value is probably liked by the novice smoker who can't or won't justify the cost of better quality tobacco (and pipes). I would just toss it otherwise. It's just leaves and chemicals.

Kapnismologist":91xjl4yn said:
Apparently the folks on tobacco reviews did not like my review of 'Super Value Black Cavendish' all very much. 2 readers voted it down as 'unhelpful', so it now appears as the last review in the list!
Philistines! (Or Altadis executives.)

Keep on writing reviews, Kap--the wise will take heed, and the rest can enjoy their Super Value.

"I could... pass it along later to some poor unfortunate soul with an empty pipe and a big grin". That was my favorite line in this story :p

Altadis also distributes Tobacco Galleria's Midnight Smoke. Comes in one of those 1.5 oz fold over pouches as well. Is this one to avoid as well?

PipeCulture":zxdn0er1 said:
"I could... pass it along later to some poor unfortunate soul with an empty pipe and a big grin". That was my favorite line in this story :p

Altadis also distributes Tobacco Galleria's Midnight Smoke. Comes in one of those 1.5 oz fold over pouches as well. Is this one to avoid as well?
Tossing in my two cents, I wish I could say, "Avoid all Altadis blends," but I can't. Even though it isn't exactly high falootin' tobaccy like I usually like, I'll occasionally take a pipe full of 1Q or RQ4 and actually enjoy it. Just have to be in the right mood.

That being said, you can probably avoid every other Altadis blend. ;)