Superbowl food

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Whatcha got in mind for eats?

Jambalaya

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   2      Tablespoons   Olive Oil
   3                    Garlic Cloves
   1      Cup           Onion -- chopped
   1                    Celery Rib -- chopped
   1                    Bell Pepper -- chopped
   1      Cup           White Rice -- uncooked
   2      Cans          Stewed Tomatoes -- large cans
   1      Teaspoon      Tabasco® Sauce
   1      C             Cooked Ham
   1      Lb            Italian Sausage
   1      Tsp           Dried Thyme
                        Salt
                        Freshly Ground Black Pepper
   1      Lb            Shrimp

In large pan heat oil and saute garlic, onion, celery and bell pepper
just until softened.  Add rice, tomatoes, hot sauce, ham, sausage
(crumbled), thyme, salt and black pepper. Bring to boil. Cover. Reduce
heat. Simmer 8 minutes.  Add shrimp. Cover.  Cook until shrimp have
turned pink and rice is tender. Approximately 6-8 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : You can add any kind or combination of seafood, meats or
sausages (smoked) to this recipe. It’s absolutely “goof-proof.”

Boy that looks like a great recipe I'll have to try. Thanks!

Super Bowl Sunday is our "Fried Crap Day". I get chicken wings and just about anything else you can cook in a deep fryer. Pretty much make ourselves sick. It never fails that my husband complains the entire next day about how bad he feels. It's not like I don't put out anything healthy.....there's carrot sticks and celery with the wings :roll:

Carnitas for me.

12-14 pound bone-in pork shoulder. Rub with salt, pepper, olive oil, crushed garlic & dried oregano. Throw a couple bay leaves next to it
Oven at 200
Cook covered from 11pm Saturday night, until 11am-12pm Sunday.
Remove the roast, Separate fat from juices and reduce the juices in a sauce pan.
Shred the meat and place it in a 9x13 roasting pan with the reduced juices and a bit of the fat, low broil until the top crisps-up.

Serve with fresh corn tortillas, plenty of salsa, fresh cilantro, anejo cheese, shredded cabbage, pressure cooked whole purano or pinto beans, and simple Mexican style rice and perhaps some ice-cold Negra Modelo or fresh lime margaritas

mark":q2vypisj said:

Jambalaya

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   2      Tablespoons   Olive Oil
   3                    Garlic Cloves
   1      Cup           Onion -- chopped
   1                    Celery Rib -- chopped
   1                    Bell Pepper -- chopped
   1      Cup           White Rice -- uncooked
   2      Cans          Stewed Tomatoes -- large cans
   1      Teaspoon      Tabasco® Sauce
   1      C             Cooked Ham
   1      Lb            Italian Sausage
   1      Tsp           Dried Thyme
                        Salt
                        Freshly Ground Black Pepper
   1      Lb            Shrimp

NOTES : You can add any kind or combination of seafood, meats or
sausages (smoked) to this recipe. It’s absolutely “goof-proof.”
Thats not jambalaya. using italian sausage instead of andouille, no chicken, and using cooked ham. Oh well. Hope it is good.

tarheel7734":fxtyxwcf said:
mark":fxtyxwcf said:

notes: You can add any kind or combination of seafood, meats or
sausages (smoked) to this recipe
. It’s absolutely “goof-proof.”
Thats not jambalaya. No seafood, using itlian sausage instead of andouille, no chicken, and using cooked ham. Oh well. Hope it is good.

I'll buy you a pound of your favorite tobacco and the pipe of your choice if you find any leftovers. :lol!:

Lol its ok you guys dont know any better. I like to do a piece of blackened catfish and crawfish étouffée over my jambalaya. Its a bit overkill but oh so delicious.

We made the Jambalaya last evening following your recipe Mark and it turned out great! No leftovers to report either. Thanks for a very tasty recipe!

How bout some roast turkey and some flat on the top meatballs?

Help me out... You say 'bring to a boil' but I'm not seeing any liquid in the ingredient list that could boil. Stewed tomatoes? Is that what boiling?

The traditional holidays that my wife enjoys so much are a fading nightmare of shopping, cooking and a an endless sink of dishes, the Super Bowl is my holiday! No Company, No Relatives, No Decorating, No Gifts, No Cooking and No Dishes to wash.
Super Bowl is a take out holiday at our house. This year I'm thinking of dispatching my minions to pickup a Chinese feast with plenty of tasty Pu Pu's all washed down with ice cold beer in a dense fog of smoke. :shock:

puros_bran":2vhinjy3 said:
How bout some roast turkey and some flat on the top meatballs?

Help me out... You say 'bring to a boil' but I'm not seeing any liquid in the ingredient list that could boil.   Stewed tomatoes? Is that what boiling?
I use canned chicken stock. :shock:

It depends on how big and how juicy your cans of stewed tomatos are PB.
If ya don't think the canned tomatos have enough liquid pour in some chicken stock or water.

DrumsAndBeer":ydcy44w4 said:
Carnitas for me.

12-14 pound bone-in pork shoulder. Rub with salt, pepper, olive oil, crushed garlic & dried oregano. Throw a couple bay leaves next to it
Oven at 200
Cook covered from 11pm Saturday night, until 11am-12pm Sunday.
Remove the roast, Separate fat from juices and reduce the juices in a sauce pan.
Shred the meat and place it in a 9x13 roasting pan with the reduced juices and a bit of the fat, low broil until the top crisps-up.

Serve with fresh corn tortillas, plenty of salsa, fresh cilantro, anejo cheese, shredded cabbage, pressure cooked whole purano or pinto beans, and simple Mexican style rice and perhaps some ice-cold Negra Modelo or fresh lime margaritas  
Gonna give this a try tonight. Gonna have some gooood eats for dinner tomorrow night ;)

scotties22":i5fklzgj said:
Gonna give this a try tonight.  Gonna have some gooood eats for dinner tomorrow night ;)
Awesome. I would love to hear your feedback.

Also for a nice added touch, prior to cooking, you can cut about 10 small inch deep incisions into the shoulder with a pairing knife, spacing them evenly apart, and push a garlic clove into each of the incisions (leg-o-lamb style). You'll get a little more depth in flavor doing this, as long as you like garlic that is..

Got to love Jambalaya. This is how we do it here. Crawfish season is just around the corner!

copper10.jpg

charli10.jpg

DrumsAndBeer":ordy8b7n said:
scotties22":ordy8b7n said:
Gonna give this a try tonight.  Gonna have some gooood eats for dinner tomorrow night ;)
Awesome. I would love to hear your feedback.

Also for a nice added touch, prior to cooking, you can cut about 10 small inch deep incisions into the shoulder with a pairing knife, spacing them evenly apart, and push a garlic clove into each of the incisions (leg-o-lamb style). You'll get a little more depth in flavor doing this, as long as you like garlic that is..
OMG......My house smells soooo awesome! I rolled over at about 5 this morning wondering who was up cooking bacon. Took me a few minutes to realize what I was smelling :lol: