Sutliff 515 RC-1

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
This stuff is a real banger! That Virgina tang is in full force here and puffed slowly remains throughout. As the bowl went on and if I pushed it I got some deeper, earthy bready notes but always a backdrop to that classic Virginia zing! Only one bowl in but I’m very impressed with Sutliff 515 RC-1, and for a bulk, really couldn’t ask for more here! Produces a good amount of smoke and stayed consistent, mostly on the high note side of things and picked up some sweetness toward the latter half of the bowl. I would say a little lighter than Red Cake, and a little different but in a very good way!

These are the blends of which i think I get the most enjoyment. It’s simple, flavorful, comes at a very nice moisture content and doesn’t knock me on my butt! One of the best Sutliff blends I’ve had to date!

Second Opinion:

Sutliff - Matured Red VA...

The fairly tangy, earthy, woody, ripe dark fruity red Virginia also sports a very light tart sour note with a bare hint of the floral and bread. The strength is a step past the center of mild to medium, while the taste is close to medium. The nic-hit is tad less potent than the strength level. Won’t bite or get harsh. It may need a very light dry time. Burns cool and clean at a slightly slow pace if the tobacco is moist. Has a very consistent sweet flavor with a touch of savoriness from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. An all day smoke that also makes a excellent mixer. It’s not quite McClelland 5100 - much less vinegar, and it's tangier, but just a little less sweeter - but it is the closest you will get to it. Should age well, though it’s ready to go as it is.

-JimInks

Yup, it's pretty nice! Give it a few months in a jar and the zinginess tones down. Glad you're liking it!

Enjoyed my first bowl of this blend last night! Is it McC's 5100? Can't say, never tried 5100! I will say this is one fine Ginnyweed in and of itself!! FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

I pressed this for 14 days and it gets real dark. Like French Pastry with dark fruit. Takes about 2 hours to smoke a bowl. Nice sweetness!