sweet tasting english blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster

Reaction score
I've just tried penzance and pembroke (margate with cognac)
they have great aromas, but I find the taste to be a little empty. Almost flavorless.

Can anyone recommend english blends that have a sweet taste on the toungue - similar to frogmorton, or maltese falcon?
I've heard odyssey is a contender. How about pirate kake?
I don't mind a strong tobacco, either..

give frog morton across the pond a try if you like frog morton, it's sweeter, better all around IMO.. others to try that are sweet, spilman mixture, smokers haven 25th anniversary blend, count puluski (sp?

i'm not really a latakia fan so i'm sure someone will give you better advice.

I agree with frankluke Frog accross the pond would be a great start. I love the blend myself.

Thanks, I have some and love it. My favorite of the series is actually 'on the bayou'.
How about other blends?

hmm I dunno if I consider the Falcon sweet, but I guess better than others...

The only sweet english blends that come to mind are Balkan Sasaini and maybe McClellend Yenidje Highlander

Kind of depends on your definition of sweet. But I would try GL Peace Piccadilly, Caravan, Samarra, & Kensington.

For C&D, try Yale Mixture. You can get that pressed also. Changes the character I understand. Snug Harbor, which has a touch of flavor added to help the sweetness. Morley's Best, Home From the Hill's, Plantation Evening, & Cordial. There are others, but I may find sweetness where others cannot. I find sweetness in all their Balkan variations.

If you want something out of the mainstream, look at one of the large well known pipe shops for house blends. Jon's Pipe Shop in Champaign/Urbana IL would be one. Try Garvey's Balkan or Smoking Mixture. Be warned that Smoking Mixture is at least 50% latakia. You don't notice that at first. The more of it you smoke the more you notice it. Garvey's Balkan uses an unsweetened burley in it. It will be very familiar.

Carlos, Those blends you recomended sounds like I need to try them especialy the 50% lat blend.

Give Mac Barens HH Vintage Syrian a look-see. Its Vas are definitely "Danish" with that sugar sweet taste (in moderation) in the background. I do not care for aromatics or other Danish blends; but i do like this one!!! 40-45% Latweed!!! :pipe: FTRPLT

ftrplt I have tried it and it is a great smoke. Thanks for reminding me that is one I need to put on my next order.

I would suggest C&D Start of the East (especially the new tins, dated 2008) which would seem to fit the bill.

For a sweet tasting english try McClelland's Cyprian blend. It's an all dayer.

Funn

Margate is essentially the same recipe as Smokers' Haven's Best Blend (and Pembroke is the same as their Cognac) as Germain owns the recipes for SH's blends. But, Germain doesn't make anything similar to SH's Exotique under their own label. Exotique is richer than Best Blend/Margate and has Cyprian Latakia instead of Syrian. Since you like Margate and Pembroke, you might try a related recipe--Exotique.

I second the recommendation on Westminster. You might also try Squadron Leader. It's fast becoming one of my favorites.

Mike

A third vote for Westminster. I'd also recommend Odyssey if you're looking for a full, rich nicotene bomb. They're both excellent and I reach for each, depending on my mood.

both are on order for me, along with 1oz samplers of most of the other suggestions from this thread. I'll post a pic of it all when it gets here

After drying my penzance out a bit, and not using those paper filters, its just getting better and better. What wonderful, complex, flavor. :gatewheel:

Buster":kpklx2dv said:
both are on order for me, along with 1oz samplers of most of the other suggestions from this thread. I'll post a pic of it all when it gets here

After drying my penzance out a bit, and not using those paper filters, its just getting better and better. What wonderful, complex, flavor. :gatewheel:
Took me a bit to get the "deal" with Penzance, too. After reading all the reviews and hearing people slobbering all over how good it was, I think I was expecting waaaay too much when I first got my hands on it. After I let it be for a while, then came back to it it was along the lines of "EUREKA!"....and I went into a pipe trance and smoked till I dribbled out the corner of my mouth a little bit. :drool:

It's been a long day, and I read this thread as "sweet tasting english blondes". Some great tobaccos being discussed, but kind of a letdown compared to what I expected. :drunken:

+1 for Westminster and Odyssey!!!!!

Along the same lines are Butera's Latakia no. 1 and Bailey's Balkan Blend (sp?). Penzance and Krumble Kake are good, too. There are more, but my brain left on vacation and I'm left to fend for myself.

I don't agree with the previous C&D recommendations: they are good Latakia blends but with very little or no sweetness. But that may just be me and my palate being difficult. The same with Squadron Leader, don't find it sweet at all.