Tabacco Transporting...Idea's on Storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperorsh

Reaction score
Evening BoB's,

Here's the scenario, I am looking at traveling as a technician for a company that is going to have me on the go for at least ten months out of the year.

I want to carry some tobacco with me, but, a few tins will be with me in the carry on bag. I'd like to put some in the luggage and not have to worry about the tin getting bent and opened.

Has anyone seen or have idea's on a container of some type? Something that will protect my enjoyment of fine tobacco on the down time I will have at night.
:?:

Maybe a length of PVC pipe? It's cheap and cylindrical and can be cut to whatever length. On the other hand, a length of PVC pipe stuffed with metal tins might look kind of suspicious at an airline security X-ray.

Doc Manhattan":xm0f67pe said:
On the other hand, a length of PVC pipe stuffed with metal tins might look kind of suspicious at an airline security X-ray.
Doc,

I had that thought also, Bet I would get someone's attention on the baggage xray! :lol!:

What I'd be more concerned about would be the tin seals failing from being in an un-pressurized baggage compartment @ 30,000 feet. And if they wanted to be knuckleheads about lighters . . . and glass containers . . . not to mention that pipe tools are weapons . . .

Doesn't sound too promising.

Actually, it sounds like you'd be periodically putting yourself at the mercy of retarded monkeys with an inimical agenda.

:face:

I fly close to 100 times per year, and I regularly throw a standard ball jar into my carry-on. Once in awhile (but not often) they give my jar a little extra screening, but it doesn't bother me. I'd rather face extra scrutiny than do without.

Thanks for the link Pleckzepiper. You have used these tins, do you remember if they have a seal on them?

i know a guy that uses Glad Twist & Lock containers when he travels. they seal well 7 you don't have to worry about denting. a piece of dowel rod works for a tamper, or you can try a Czech tool on your keyring. either matches or using a lighter case takes care of the fire.

Piperorsh":x3d9gpuj said:
Thanks for the link Pleckzepiper. You have used these tins, do you remember if they have a seal on them?
There is no material like a silicon or rubber gasket, but they close tightly. They keep tea and spices fresh as well as powders. When I first started using them to take supplies to work, I used the heat shrink bands to really seal them. Found that I was going through them fast enough not to need that.

When new the seal is so good that there is that "woosh" when opening and another when pushing the lid on. With the screw lids they seal tight enough that the tin can be submerged and no water gets in; at least at kitchen sink depth. (I did a test after my first post and wanted to add that).

I've about 6 dozen of various sizes to cover all forms of tobacco. The rectangular are better for flakes. They are all washable and I find I get about a year and a half of heavy use out of them. Nice thing about that supplier, is they have no minimum and will sell you just one if you want.

http://tightvac.com/

I have stored different rare tobacco in these containers for over a year. These keep the tobacco in perfect condition....maintaining aroma and flavor. Nothing else works as well as these containers IMHO.

Those look like the ticket pleckzepiper, thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna get me some for packin in my saddlebags, which are sittin in my garage along with the bikes, 25 F and 25 knot wind. :cry: Nice scoot Jeff. :D

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget!