table saw accident

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chksbak

Reaction score
so about 4 weeks ago i had a table saw accident, i cut the thumb on my left hand almost off, it was hanging on by some skin and a little meat, i started therapy today. i still got the thumb and i can bend it a little now, i guess after a lot of therapy it should be almost like new, it sure has been a tough 4 weeks wearing this brace like cast to stop any part of the thumb from being moved and hurting the tendons, i did run the table saw again this week for the first time since the accident, it was a little scary lol. here are some pictures but they are gross looking so do not look if you don't want to, they are graphic

https://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll252/chksbak/thumb/

You got feeling in it?

I cut my index finger off between the 2 and 3 joint.... Recovered full movement but I have never been able to feel anything out near the tip..... It has benifits, I really don't need a tamper :)

Chuck, prayers and thots for a quick recovery.

My greatest fear... tools... and my lack of experience. But you are seasoned... it can happen to the experienced as well.

Blessings, Paul

Chuck, I'm just glad to hear you kept your thumb. Good luck with the recovery. Keep us posted. Damn son!

Ya gotta get some of those kevlar gloves for when you're using the bandsaw chuck. I used to use them in the restaurant business. An employer made us wear them and I hated it until it saved a finger from a meat slicer - would have lost some of the finger for sure. Never complained about wearing it again after that......

Chuck, you need one of those new fan dangled table saws that immediately stop when it touches flesh. Darnedest thing I've ever seen. Good luck with the recovery and rehab. You will be in our prayers.

Sorry to hear of your accident but glad you got to keep your thumb. A friend of mine had a table saw accident during the summer and lost his middle finger and most of his ring finger. Among other things, he said it hindered his driving in Atlanta. Anyway, a thumbs up to you!

Jim

Chuck, that is terrible but it looks like you are making a good recovery! I pray that your thumb heals up proper with full use.

Hey don't be so humble next time! Let us know what's going on! At least your back in the saddle again!

It sure doen't look like its comfortable..... I hope you have a complete and quick recovery, I'll sure be thinking and praying for you about this and all the other things!!

Chuck,
Good luck and have a speedy recovery!
That has always been a great fear of mine as I do alot of carpentry work. I've seen too many guys with missing fingers & cuts, but they can do wonders nowadays in the reattachment area.
:pipe:

Pdiiddy... I think I'd rather have chain mail :)

Mikem.... Have you ever tested to see if those thing really work?

Chuck.. (I can only deal with crazy stuff like that with humor or silence..your getting the humor part) on the bright side you are now qualified to teach shop down at the high school!

p_b, my lady supervises a college woodshop (lots of inexperienced fingers around power tools), and she can attest that those automatic cutout sensors really do work. Unfortunately, they're "one-and-done" mechanisms--you trip it, and you'll need the safety system reinstalled.

Chuck, glad you're on the mend.

puros_bran":58ik9xol said:

Not me! Seen the movie, will take their word for it. Plus I'm too much of a coward :shock: . Same thing with those tile saws. Watched a guy during a demonstration put his fingers on the blade while cutting tile to prove it wouldn't cut you. I still won't try it. My luck mine would have a defective blade and take your finger off at the wrist :scratch: . I want to know how much they paid the guy who first tried the darned out :lol!: .

Mikem":3eziitc6 said:
puros_bran":3eziitc6 said:

Not me! Seen the movie, will take their word for it. Plus I'm too much of a coward :shock: . Same thing with those tile saws. Watched a guy during a demonstration put his fingers on the blade while cutting tile to prove it wouldn't cut you. I still won't try it. My luck mine would have a defective blade and take your finger off at the wrist :scratch: . I want to know how much they paid the guy who first tried the darned out :lol!: .
I saw a demonstration for one with a hot dog. It did take a little nick off the surface of the dog before the saw locked up. Looked like between your jerking away and the brake stopping the saw all you would need is a band aid instead of surgery. I think The Journal of Light Construction had an article about them a couple of years ago and at the time someone was trying to make these guards required by law, I'm not sure where it's gone since then.
I wouldnt volunteer to test it. But maybe if you paid me enough????

egads, man! That looks brutal!!

Glad to have you back, and wishes/prayers for a strong and full recovery are going your way.

-Andrew