• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Brothers of Briar and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

TAD Exchange

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
I did a search on BoB of "Favorite Blends" and the last time a thread came up was Dec. 2017 - Jan. 2018. As far as I can tell about 60% of those that responded are no longer active. But rather than just update the list of favorites, I thought about all the open tobaccos that I have that didn't really hit the spot, and then looked at my want list and wondered if some kind of exchange between members would accomplish two goals: scratch the itch of curiosity and find good homes for unwanted baccies.

Maybe somebody could start a new thread on favorites (currently available, from the cellar, by type, etc.) but what I propose here is a two-tier list of Wants and Don't Wants. Wants are items you'd like to try but have been reluctant to commit to a purchase, Don't Wants are items that you could live without. List 3 or 10, or whatever you have patience for.

Not counting my own blends, I have 354 different commercial blends in mason jars, some of which I have very little time or interest in revisiting (don't get me started on the popular YouTube codger who says you never really know a blend until you've smoked it in the same pipe 50 times - sometimes like mustard on chocolate cake, you know right away if you don't like something!). Many of these are in need of a happy new home for somebody that might like them. And yet, for all that I've tried, there are still huge holes in my knowledge. Although I've got Boswell and Peretti covered, there are many smaller producers that I see talked about that I've never tried: Benningtons, Country Squire, Kramer's, McCranie's, Milan, Sterling, Uhle, Watch City, Wilke, and I've only made a dent in C&D's huge portfolio.

I'm not talking about exchanging tins from the cellar (anything I have in unopened tins I want to keep). I'm talking about small portions in a baggie of about a half ounce (~15 grams for those with weight scales) just enough to try a few bowls. I'm assuming this is all legal via PM since there would be no exchange of money (?). I'll go first:

WANTS:
  • C&D Pegasus
    Druquir Blairgowrie
    Samuel Gawith Commonwealth
    Sillem's Commodore Flake
    Solani 660 Silver Flake

DON'T WANTS:

• C&D Billy Budd
    Esoterica Tilbury
    GH Ennerdale
    GH Rum Flake
    GH Scotch Mixture

Yeah, it sounds legal, etc. If guys contact each other via PM then it’s all undercover anyway.

I understand guys listing wants. It’s obvious.

And listing don’t wants...so guys don’t offer you those in trade?

It seems to me that listing 1. what you want and then listing 2. items you have that potential traders could pick from for trades...would also work. Then you wouldn’t have to go back and forth twenty times til you arrived at a deal.

Whatever...it’s your thread. But I pretty much guarantee that the more structured you try to make it, the more likely it is that guys will take your structure left and right of center. You’ll see what I mean...the best laid plans...etc. But it still could work.

Anyway, good luck. So long as your offers back and forth are via PM you’re OK.

Some good ideas, BH. Since I'm relatively new and others have more experience with the forum I'm open to guidance and changing the format.

Perhaps KISS should be the rule here: Just a list of items you're willing to trade. If somebody sees an item they want they PM you and you can see from their list if they have anything you are interested in.

Might work, but might not. My problem is that I'd have to seriously prioritize both my wants and don't wants because the five I listed are just the tip of a very big iceberg! I mean, I probably have a hundred wants, and a hundred I'm willing to let go, so that's a Helluva list!

Yeah. KISS and start slowly. And don’t forget, it might be harder than usual for some to get to the post office and they might shy away before making contact. Think about starting a general interest list - a trading club? If it doesn’t fly now try again in September, etc.

Blackhorse":g8n2u40d said:
Yeah.  KISS and start slowly.  And don’t forget, it might be harder than usual for some to get to the post office and they might shy away before making contact.  Think about starting a general interest list - a trading club?  If it doesn’t fly now try again in September, etc.
Right-O. I hadn't thought about any of the logistics right now. I know if I received some baggies in the mail I'd probably want to sterilize them first. My wife is in a high risk category, so can't be too careful.

Maybe best to wait and see if the situation improves.

Do some research to find out how long the virus lasts on plastic bags. Given other similar data I’d be surprised if it lasted longer than a week...likely less. Then check cardboard, for the mailing box or envelope, etc. I think you’d be OK. Have an open top cardboard box by your front door. Just set what you get in there for a week. And after you pick it up from wherever to put it in there...wash up.