Taking care of bamboo. Is it OK?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tin man

Reaction score
I always have to stop and do a double take when I see a pipe with a bamboo stem. I don't know why, there's just something about it that is very appealing to me. Someday, I would like to add a high grade pipe with a real bamboo stem to my rotation.

However, I wonder if it takes a little extra special care when cleaning it. For instance, can you take it apart as often as you do a normal briar pipe for cleaning? Or is the interface of the bamboo and the mouthpiece not up to the constant dismantling? Also, is it OK to run an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through the bamboo, followed up with a dry one?

Silly questions perhaps, but better safe than sorry before laying down that kind of green. :mrgreen:

Yo Tin Man, I don't treat any of my Bamboo[Wangee], pipes any differently, just use the same care, respect that I do for ANY of my other pipes, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat:

I was always under the impression that the bamboo shanks had a metal tube running thru them for strength, etc?????? Good question Tin Man on the fit of the stem into the bamboo. Delron inserts???

Bamboo doesn't require special care, and contrary to how it may look is quite a strong material (think bamboo fly rod). I haven't done any testing, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a bamboo shank was MUCH stronger than a briar shank.

Some bamboo shanks do have a tube all the way through, but many do not. It is not necessary structurally to have the tube.

Tyler

To clarify, the bamboo shanked pipes that do not have a tube all the way through DO need a tube at the joint between the bamboo and briar shank. This for joint stability and surface area for gluing. Often times too, if the diameter of the bamboo is small, the tenon in the bit is tubing, and inserts into bamboo mortise.