Talked to a guy in the Ukraine…

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I never cease to be stunned and amazed at what the internet has done to/for our world. Case in point: I needed a new/different sheath for a brand new blade because the factory sheath allowed the knife to just fall out when inverted. 🙄. I looked via Google and I looked over on ETSY. I found JUST what I was looking for via ETSY, a craftsman in the Ukraine with a documented history of satisfied customers. So off we go! I typed in a question I had…got a response in 10 minutes. Thereafter a back and forth dialog took place…I needed details…he needed specific measurements…colors…shipping…etc. Payment was made via PayPal…funds converted via some kind of international banking rigamarole. And the deal was done. I’ll see my new sheath in a few weeks.

During this whole thing I’m having thoughts of spice merchants droving camel caravans across the deserts of the world androm clipper ships sailing around the horn of Africa…and here I am typing an order from a guy half way around the world on an iPad…and the item will jet its way here over a few days.

The new sheath…$30

FD44FC81-54E6-4481-B26E-364C9E273143.png

The knife…a Benchmade 200 Pukko / 3.75” blade of CPM S3 steel. Rockwell of 60 - 62.

846314ED-B3BD-487B-A575-3E44EB623777.jpeg

I'm not so sophisticated. I have a both sides razor sharp cheese knife in my car, like this one, but I have black electrician's tape around the handle.
520_2048x2048.jpg

RSteve, I thought about one of these. It's a 6" blade. Ontario Knife Company 7155TC 6" Sticker
1644234396221.png

I'm in no hurry though. Never bring a knife to a ...

Last edited:
Those soft steel Old Hickory knives are good cutters. I’ve had one in my kitchen (7” Carver) for years. Just a few passes on my steel and its edge is dressed pretty much like new.

I do love that pig sticker. Always have a place for a dagger design.

This is one of my favorites…a 6” Hunter with a decent sheath.

89480699-AC0F-446E-AF3B-987F244E293C.jpegA

Okay, gotta chime in here. Have a lot of knives but this is one of my favs. A 30s vintage hunting knife acquired at a gun show in Cottowood. Dealer had it marked for $25. I was in my Ranger uniform as we had just come from a car show in Clarkdale. He said, since your a Ranger and you protect us you can have it for 10 bucks. Great deal. I carry it on my gunbelt with my Uberti copy of the 1876 Colt peacemaker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220207-105317_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20220207-105317_Photo Editor.jpg
    994.3 KB · Views: 32
My riding pardner just bought a Benchmade auto OTF knife. Nice knife and works slick one handed. Don't remember the exact name but it was over $300. I would love to have one but $300 for a knife just isn't in my ballpark. Lol.

Yeah, autos are fun. But I actually prefer a flipper. I think most of those are liner lock designs which I like. And a nice ball bearing flipper is sweetly smooth and slickly satisfying.

AND…really nice old Bowie there.

30s vintage hunting knife
Nice looking nice, appears to be well made.

Benchmade auto OTF knife
I used to have a cutlery shop and found Benchmade to be a good brand but over priced. I have an Italian Stiletto knock-off that's well made, it's the switchblade style that the old movies used! I carry a Spyderco Jess Horn false double edge easy open.

Benchmade is likely overpriced due to the warranty and what they pay their staff here in Oregon City. Things are expensive here. My daughter has a studio apartment in a nice part of Portland…in the hills next to OHSU. Her monthly lease is a shade under a grand.