Taming C&D Burley Flake #1

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Just finished my second bowl of C&D's Burley Flake #1 and wondering what to do with it.

On its own I find it overly sour tasting and a bit on the harsh side. Tin notes of earthy, dried mushroom, a hint of cocoa powder and a sourness like raw walnut shells - very different from other Burleys I've tried. Flavour for me is similar to tin note, though the sourness fades as I work through the bowl. There is Perique in the blend, which adds a fair peppery note to the sour. I must admit I'm having a hard time appreciating this baccy at the moment.

I'm wondering if I could blend it with another tobacco to tame the shrew a bit? I've got some Stuliff ERR Match blend on hand that I find a bit on the boring side. That would certainly keep it in the Burley family..... Or perhaps play with adding VA to sweeten things up a bit?

Suggestions welcome. At Canadian pricing, I can't afford to throw away a tin if I can salvage it.

Brewdude":6djs3f6g said:
Charles, I'd be inclined to mix in some codger burley like Carter Hall. That should smooth it out a bit I would think.

Cheers,

RR
Thanks Rande. I've got some CH on hand as it happens. Looks like I'll have to do some testing.

The things I do for Science! ?

I agree with Rande, if you have some Carter Hall aged over a year it will make your smoking experience/pleasure better with Burley Flake #1. I've smoked CH for over forty years and the trick with this old codger tobacco is to mix it well, especially if you notice the CH clumped up a bit.  The bourbon needs a good mixing. I recently opened a Mason jar of 10.5 year old CH, what a difference. Mainly because I mixed CH well before storing in the jar. It's a superb smoke with some age, my favorite OTC blend.
Let us know how it works for you, good luck.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

You could always throw some Cavendish at it. Smooth those rough edges a tad...

Some McClelland's 5100 or 2000 mixed with it would be very nice. :)

AJ

Two other great ways to tame it down above me^^^^

Plus a good black cavendish will tame most any blend down. AJ's idea of 5100 will add a much better taste while making it a much better smoke.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!