Tampers,cleaners,pouches and other assorted goodies.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
I recently discovered a Chezk tool (yeah I know thats spelled wrong ,but when has that ever stopped me? ) I dont know how I ever lived without one of these.. I used to carry a nail, but I think I actually favor the tool, its added size makes it easier to keep up with. Other than the tool, some cleaners and a bic I dont carry any 'equipment'.

What kinda goodies do you guys use in your pipe rituals?

Seeing how it's winter time, I am in the hamshack. So the usual tamper of choice is my ivory tamper from the Tom Dunn collection. When I get outdoors, I often use a Moretti tamper that came with a forum pipe. And the other side of the house will get the GBD pipe knife tool. Sometimes I use a BobH original Osage Orange tamper I got in a boxpass.

I have others, but those are what I use mostly.

Oh, other items. No real pouches. Occasionally a leather-like rubber liner thing.

Old Boy chrome and a Zippo copper with a pipe insert. I really like Swan matches.

I have a small assortment of homemade tampers I use and I prefer Diamond, strike anywhere matches. For maintenance I use pipe cleaners and a Kleen Reem pipe tool, I have a jar of Paragon wax that I use very sparingly. I do not have anything to take the show on the road as it were, I generally only smoke at home...

I've got a couple of pipe nails and a couple of Czek(I can't spell either) tools but I mostly use an empty 308 cartridge case in the car and a homemade tamper around the house. I do have a pipe travel case that I used to use when I traveled for work. Haven't used it recently.

Hey Bronx, I have seen Shell pipes made by JH Boswell, might be worth looking into, would make a neat set.
He caps the shank with a 10 or 12 gauge shell..Might be worth seeing if he would make a match to your 'tamper'.

I have a little wooden stand that I keep my tampers in as well as a bamboo chopstick case that I use to hold my pipe cleaners. Picked them up a Daiso (a Japanese dollar store). That sits on my side table with a double beanbag type pipe holder. For tampers I have a couple of nails and a couple custom tampers from Mike Brissett. I have a Lotus pipe lighter but mostly I use cheapo strike anywhere matches.

Ever since showme posted that picture of the match box case though I've been thinking I need to get something like that. Probably more of a pain then it's worth but it's just one of those things. :lol:

Typically I use the Czech tool, a pipe sock, and a celtic cross zippo (still without an insert, I really need to get one). The zippo is chrome with a black cross.

I carry my pipe, an elcheapo lighter with a fold-out tamper (tamper head folds too; fold it vertical for scraping), and a couple of pipe cleaners.

If I'm at home I'll use the zippo and a handy tamper. (I'm real fond of the one Ol' Dawg sent me.)

Jason, I still haven't gone to the attic to put back those lights and take a picture of my matchbox holder. That little thing is making me consider a switch to matches. I think it would make carrying a box of matches easier (I have a tendency to squish things for some reason). The one I have is thinner than the one posted; now I'll just have to track down one that isn't Christmas themed.

As far as carrying tobacco, I've gotten real lazy of late and just grab the whole tin of whatever I'm smoking. The laziness means I also leave tins everywhere, too. In the curio cabinet, on the cabinet, in the garage, in the car. (This doubles as my aging technique. I tend to find a tin of tobacco some months later and it is always better, no?)

showme

My Czech tool is actually Polish,go figure.....I have a Savinelli fold up leather tobacco pouch that I used one time,found out I really need to put my blends in plastic to survive the saddlebag ride.Pipe du jour gets wrapped in a bandana.Zippo.
Smoking at home is out of a dimestore tote,pipe nail and kitchen matches.
Some day,I want to make myself one of those cool looking pipe bags smokingpipes.com used to sell;might find the time next fall.Four pipes,two tins,tamper and cleaners in a zipup-how convenient is that?!?
Stay dry,fellows
Tony

I carry a bag with a bunch of crap in it to work every day, sits beside my mixer-truck seat next to the Plano lunch pail and inside that bag resides a 2 pipe pouch with Zippo pipe lighter, cleaners and an aluminum nail. I use a couple of those round screw on lidded tobacco tins (like a patriot flake tin) to carry a couple of days worth of tobaccos in so I always have a couple of choices. Once in the truck at work I put the zippo in the cup holder (which wouldn't get you out of the parking lot without the cup spilling, but a zippo will stay there all day), the nail in the ashtray and the pipe of choice sits on a folded bar towel that rests on the dash where the pipe is cradled in protection and easy to grab or put down. A large box of kitchen matches resides in the overhead bin for charring lights.

At home I sit at a desk with a bunch of cubby's and drawers (a secretary desk with fold down desk top) and my tampers, lighters and cleaners, hell just about everything, is right at my reach. Jars of tobacco sit in the drawers. The computer also sits on this desk and my pipes reside in a rack mounted on the wall directly above the desk. My cellar is divided into two giant tupperware bins, one with mason jars one with tins. I have 2 zippos, a couple of nice silver tampers, one brass tamper a friend at the pipe club made and the very cool Brissett tamper that Huggie gave me.

For club meetings and road trips I have a leather Jobey 7 pipe carrying bag.

I use a brown leather fanny pack to carry all of my mobile stuff that holds a combo pouch in which I store Walnut in the tobacco compartment and pipe cleaners in the pipe compartment. The fanny pack has 4 storage compartments. One holds my combo pouch, one holds an extra roll up pouch that lately I have been keeping Rum and Maple in. The third compartment is large enough for 2 pipes that I carry daily and the fourth holds a spare box of Swan matches, a Morretti tamper, an extra pipe bit or two and a fold up magnifying glass for examining estate pipes if I run across them. I always carry a Czech tool and Imco pipe lighter in my right front pants pocket. I have a shoe organizer hanging in my tobacco cellar that I keep all of my other misc. stuff in.

Don't leave home without the fanny pack!

Great thread PB!

By the way, I purchased a Zippo pipe lighter this past week but I don't care much for it. If anybody needs one let me know. It is a black matt finish with a white pipe emblem on it. I will stick with my Imco.

I do most of my smoking at home. But, when I travel and want to take my pipe stuff with me I usually carry it all in an old hair clippers case sans the clippers. I can usually fit 6 to 7 50g tins, three to four pipes, and all the extras in it.

Now you did it PDiddy.

My on the road smoking quarters.
Mind you this is accumulated stuff I don't 'carry' with me.

Forward Right:In the ashtray cradled buy pennies you will find between 1-4 pipe nails, an eyeglass screw driver and a mini bic. The SD is very good for gently scraping the mortise and tightnin loose eyeglass screws. .

Ahead Above: aka Sunvisor. 8-10 ballpoints,roller balls,Fountain pens and mechanical pencils and sometimes (when I haven't lost the others) 2 bics and a pipenail,plus my cigar cutter.

Left Down: aka Doorpouch. Several bags of pipe cleaners and probably several bics and pipe nails. They always seem to end up there after I have smoked outside the truck.

Right Down Back Floorboard: A USPS priority box (think this incarnation has Carlos's addy on it) duct taped at the top for added strength. This holds several truck pipes and a few blends full time. It also has random lighters,matches, nails, pipe socks, and a diet Coke bottle ( I don't know why its there but I'm sure I put it in there for a reason) it serves double duty by holding my 18.3 oz coffee cup (which fits perfectly in the cupholder, probably equates out to something metric) when I forget to take it in for a refill and end up buying a 'cup' of coffee.

Right Down Forward Floorboard: a JR cigar plastic bag full of assorted blends and pipes,lighters,cleaners and such that I've yet to tranfer to 'normal' places. I carry this back and forth to the house. This is also where my 'humidor' resides. Its a Padron serie 1926 35 box with a drymistat, held closed by its latch and some ducttape (to funny,cigar snobs would DIE )

Passenger Seat Proper: Cellphones,Blackberrys,PSP, etc. Plus a few bags of pipe cleaners.

Passenger Seat Back: I have one of those seat organizer deals. I use the various pockets to store among other things the 'good' pipes I'm using for the week, in their socks. Tins and mason jars of baccy, a toothbrush that I've 'prison shanked' the handle of, about half my pipes are platue top, this is a real good cleaning tool for them. Several dozen working and non working lighters,I really need to clean this up. Several boxs of matches. A small vile of unlabeled umm errr Non commercial Pipecleaner (we got fuzz on the board, :) )

I also keep my Czech (I think that's right) tool and a lighter under my right leg while driving for easy access.

After actually listing this I've realized I really need to do something with all these lighters. Hell I might just break down and buy a pipe zippo.

Puros,
I actually have one of those Boswell's Shell pipes. He uses old 12 GA low brass shells to make them. I believe he is a big trap and skeet shooter.
Bill

I've taken to carrying one of those Czech tools right on my key chain! It never gets lost and it's always there when you need it!

Best,
Dock
:pipe: