Tamping Large Bowl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog Bruce

Reaction score
I loaded an estate pipe I picked up a few weeks ago for first time. It has a 'Large' bowl for my limited experience. 1" inside at rim, almost 2" deep. Only packed it about 3/4 full, due to latness in the evening, and having no idea how long a bowl this size lasts. Had to put it down about half way through to tend to stock.(two dogs). When I got back to it, had to stir ash, shook, and prepared to litely re-tamp. I realized my little pipe tool tamper was kind of a pain in this largish bowl, but had a .50 caliber empty Ma Deuce brass sitting on a shelf. It fit perfectly, is made of brass, doesn't cost 25 - 45 $, and I already had it on hand. I would strongly suggest anyone else who decides to use the fifty make _damn sure_!!! it has been discharged prior to use. Any and all disclaimers, so forth and so on

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget

Thanks Carlos. Was hoping some of the replies would suggest other calibers, the fifty is waaay long. I have friends who load both those, although I don't own either. Of course, I don't own a Ma Deuce either :( , much to my dismay.

B.D.

Never Forget!

I use an 8mm mauser or 30-30 casing sometimes, my friend gave me a 300 weatherby magnum casing, pretty darn big...though not 50cal big heh

45/70 casings work real well for bowls that are 3/4" in diameter or larger, and a good old standard 30/30 casing works well with smaller bowls!

Thanx J.O. and J.F. The >3o->30 I got. The 45-70 I can git. That 50 slides rite in this part. bowl to the bottom. Have no idea what Dunhill size grade it is, other than "BIG'

Bulldog

Never Forget!

Bulldog Bruce":vbizjglm said:
Thanx J.O. and J.F. The >3o->30 I got. The 45-70 I can git. That 50 slides rite in this part. bowl to the bottom. Have no idea what Dunhill size grade it is, other than "BIG'

Bulldog

Never Forget!
Probably a Group 6, I think that's the largest!

I have used .38/.357 brass many a time with a cob in the car. Otherwise 30-30, 8mm, 06, 300sav, .410 shotshell or whatever else happens to be lying around.

Hey Oddball, you guys still shoot out of the rig a lot down there in CO so's ya have a wide selection of empty brass, or just crack one off ta fit the pipe in your other hand like we do here in ID :silent: :silent:

Bruce

Boy I tell ya, round here we call it mobile blind huntin, if ya cant get um with a gun ya always got a tire er four. ;) Seriously though, I used to do a lot of shooting when I was at school and I try to keep all my brass. That being said, it often gets left to roll around in the call so I usually just grab what’s handy(usualy .38/.357). I never seem to have a tamper er a nail when I need one but there is almost always brass around. I have used live rounds in a pinch, though I don’t suggest this.

Thanx Oddball a couple of guys are sending me some, Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat: :pipe:

A few years ago, Johnny Flake sent me one of the neatest tampers I've seen. He had taken a spent .223 shell and inverted a wooden golf tee in the throat of the brass. You can use the tee to tamp or pull it out to remove any residual stuff in the bottom of the pipe after a smoke.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":pxp6vs8g said:
A few years ago, Johnny Flake sent me one of the neatest tampers I've seen. He had taken a spent .223 shell and inverted a wooden golf tee in the throat of the brass. You can use the tee to tamp or pull it out to remove any residual stuff in the bottom of the pipe after a smoke.

Jim

Thanks for the kind words Jim! That set up really works very well and it's super cheap to make. Unfortunately, I have run out of .223 casings, however, I have a shit load of golf tees! LOL!

Johnny

JohnnyFlake":fkvrthlk said:
Ol'Dawg":fkvrthlk said:

Jim

Thanks for the kind words Jim! That set up really works very well and it's super cheap to make. Unfortunately, I have run out of .223 casings, however, I have a shit load of golf tees! LOL!

Johnny
Were you the one selling similar ones on ebay not too long ago?

~Johnny O....maybe I could be Johnny Plug...or Johnny Course Cut... :p

JohnnyO":q6n6pm00 said:
JohnnyFlake":q6n6pm00 said:
Ol'Dawg":q6n6pm00 said:

Jim

Johnny
Were you the one selling similar ones on ebay not too long ago?

No, that was not me! I have never sold any tampers on eBay.

Johnny

ah, the guy wanted like $5 or so for a shell with a sharpened piece of wood stuck in it...now that I think about it, it might have been a 7.62x39 shell but whatevs...your idea sounds better :)