Tapered bore pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Ok. So i lit up my Brebbia ectura. conical shaped, 3/4" ID by about 2" deep. I tossed in some Odyssey gifted to me from James adn for the life of me I could not keep the pipe lit or dry.

It got me wondering: Is there a different way to pack conical bore chambers? I do not seem to have this problem anymore with my Savinelli 624 or my Pete 80s or other straight chambers...?

Anyone, kind sirs?

Davey,
You may need to pack a little looser at the bottom than you usually do. Tobacco tends to expand when smoked; that along with the conical bowl may be the problem.. I do have some pipes with conical bowls that I tend to pack more gently. Just my guess

Dave,

I agree with Bill. Just as confirmation to what he said you may need to pack a little looser especially the bottom third of the bowl. I always think of 1/3s concerning pipe bowls and especially when packing them. Sort of like building a fire. I use the gravity method almost always when packing a bowl. I let the tobacco loosley fill the bowl by gravity and them pack the first filling very lightly. Then I fill it again and pack a little firmer and again with a little more firmness until the bowl is at the desired level. Somtimes the firmness has to be adjusted for different tobaccos and their moisture content and the different pipes, depending on the shape of the bowl.

I'll try it on my next bowl with my Brebbia, thanks guys!

I have been having a love affair with cone shaped bowls lately. The added oomph in the last 1/3 to 1/4 is just awesome.

I pack em by gravity filling to the rim, tamping that down to about the 2/3 point, refill and act like your on stage three of a three stage pack.

An overpacked cone will burn hotter and wetter than an overpacked cylinder.