Tapered pipe cleaners

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
just curious who uses them? Went to get some pipe cleaners the other day but all they had was tapered so I grabbed a pack. I guess I don't understand the point, the fat end is to big for a majority of my pipes and the small end just seems to small to be effective.

I tend to have both on the go and the tapers seem to fit all my pipes. Thick end goes in first from the stem until it appears in the bowl, then I bend the thin end into a cranking handle and spin away. The thick end then gets used to swab out the bowl.

I tend to have both on the go and the tapers seem to fit all my pipes. Thick end goes in first from the stem until it appears in the bowl, then I bend the thin end into a cranking handle and spin away. The thick end then gets used to swab out the bowl.
That's how I normally do mine but with regular pipe cleaners.

I mainly use the bristled cleaners on the new estate pipes I get on thier initial cleaning. Some stems are so gunked up that a regular fluffy cleaner cannot pass through. A bristle seems maybe more ridgid and inserting the tapered end first helps opening everything up. I cut some slots in a mason jars lid to keep my different cleaners seperated and helps to know when to refill each one.
20201017_092143.jpg