Tasty Aromatics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<a href='/u819' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: MisterE'>@MisterE</a>":y32akeqf said:
Would you consider the GH Louisiana flake an aromatic? I do catch just a hint of the famous "essence" upon lighting, but it's gone as soon as the bowl gets going.
Personally, I consider GH LA Flake to be an aromatic. It is definitely topped with something because I smoked a sample I bought in 4 different pipes, all of which exclusively have been dedicated to Va/Per blends. I wouldn't say that it ghosted the pipes horribly, but it is definitely taking a lot of effort and a lot of smokes to get the ghost out of those pipes. Bear in mind, the Va/Per blends that I smoke out of these pipes include Hal o the Wynd, Sherlock Holmes VR Blend, and Solani 633. These are all potent Va/Per blends and I wouldn't classify LA Flake as a "robust" smoke, so this leads me to believe that LA Flake is topped, which is what caused the ghosting, therefore IMO it is technically an aro!

-Scott

<a href='/u1364' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Blackhorse'>@Blackhorse</a>":87o3mure said:
Scott - you might try mixing it with 5-Brothers too. Just for "fun".
More like "just to see the room spin and pass out" :lol:

Boswell Tobaccos and Pipeworks and Wilke. In the Bosworth, I can especially recommend PA Dutch Treat, No Bite, Delite, Raspberry Cream, Piper's Pleasure, and Chocolate Cream. You can find out more at boswellpipes.com. You do have to call in your orders to the Boswell's but can get as small as one oz. quantities.

In Pipeworks and Wilke you won't find a better aromatic than Vermont Maple Cavendish. Their #191 is a very good vanilla aromatic, too. Carol has lots more but I haven't smoked them. You can go to her website at vtpipes.com and give her a call and she can guide you to what might be best for you. She has a minimum order of 8 oz. but you can mix and match 4 blends to make it.

Smokey

Am I really still such a newb that I can enjoy the tinned "cased" ARO's that seem to draw some dislike from experienced B-O-L's?? Of the 3-4 bowls I smoke a day, at least 2 would be blends with Latakia. There is almost always a straight VA or VaPer in there and the 4th is switched between some blend I made for the fill or a nice american ARO. What do I mean?? Peterson Connoisseur Choice, MacBaren Black Ambrosia, Stanwell Melange(a real fave), Milonga, Blue Note, SG Fire Dance Flake, Sunset Breeze........The list just goes on. I noticed not many of these "gooey" tinned treasures even mentioned. It seems you guys consider sweet or flavored VA's more of an ARO. Something along the lines of McC Deep Hollow.

Are they that bad? Am I missing something? I treat myself to these once a day. I have a couple of pipes just for the strong ARO's and I dry the baccy in mason jars for weeks before I put them into rotation.

Feel free to hit me up for a sample of some of the ones ready for the pit ash and feel free to steer me towards some new ones you think I need to smoke.

Thanks

Joe

<a href='/u1364' rel='nofollow' title='Viewing profile: Blackhorse'>@Blackhorse</a>":fwoq6zox said:
Joe - while there's always the chance one is missing something you're certainly not doing anything wrong. It's all about what you like, not what others like.
I agree with Blackhorse.You can listen to recommendations but every smoker has a different taste range.Pipeman1947 :pirate: :pirate:

I would suggest you give "Bear Blend" from Boswells a try. Its more of a cross over blend but has a good room note and Latikia in it.

Petersons Sunset Breeze is something you might want to try...nice flavor and a great room note.