Tebow Round #4

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslots

Reaction score
Do you think he makes the Eagles team?

If nothing else he's got a passion for the game that many seem to lack. (Some only want glory and/or a big paycheck.)
Perhaps Kelly can be more creative in using his talents.

No. They need a 4th QB on the roster to fill a practice squad position. Don't doubt the guys heart or desire, but he's an option QB who was groomed to a system and you can't make a pig fly. To be a succesful NFL QB you have to be able to read a shifting defense in the blink of an eye, react just as quickly, anticipate both the defenses movement and your receivers exact route after the snap of the ball, and be able to step up into a small shifting pocket and throw, placing the ball in a very small spot when your receiver isn't there yet. That ain't Tebow.

I have a couple of friends who are Eagles fans, they are all pulling their hair out.
4 QB's.....Chip Kelly is nuts.
Unless on Play one, he puts all four on the field and pulls out a trick play.
Two QB's have been done a lot (the Ravens' tried it unsuccessfully with Flacco & Tyrod Taylor), but never four, to my knowledge.

It's training camp, all teams will have 3 or 4 QB's on the roster. They'll have multiple practice squads going at once, will need multiple QB's to run those squads. Now, come final cut day to the 53 man roster and they still have 4 QB's? :scratch:

Personally I think Chip Kelly realized that neither Foles or Sanchez was going to cut it as the starter in his system (although this is puzzling as Foles was outstanding before he got hurt) and that Sanchez was the better choice for a backup (price being a factor). Everyone knows he wants Marcus Mariota, so is this whole Bradford trade/Tebow distraction just a smokescreen to a plan to move up somehow to the #2 draft spot? I hope so. I'd like to see Chip get what he wants and see how it works out. I'm not a fan of any one team so much as I am a fan of good, entertaining NFL football, so I'd be glad to see the Eagles get what they want and do well with the Chip Kelly thing. It'll make for fun football to watch.

The one thing that sticks in my mind though. If Kelly ends up with Bradford starting and Sanchez as backup, he has a lot less than he had last year (not to mention the other roster losses they just suffered). Bradford is older, not mobile, never was a runner, strictly a pocket passer. If he doesn't fit in with the system or takes another hit and goes down again they're probably looking at an 8-8 record, or worse.

I think he can make the team. Possibly as the third string QB and an option back. At QB, all he has to do is beat out GJ Kinne and Matt Barkley. Compared to those two, Tebow is twice the athlete.

I was sorry to see Foles go. No one benefitted from the lack of skill the Eagles had on the O-Line last year. Evan Mathis, Todd Herremans and Jason Kelce were all injured and in the games that Foles played, the O-line was really beat up. Sanchez did an admirable job filling in considering but still sufferred from some serious bone-headed mistakes. Bradford's decent, a little more mobile that Foles but his history of serious injuries is quite extensive and is a serious cause for concern.

I am interested to see what Kelly has planned for the draft. Safety, WR and a strong pass rusher are all needed. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they traded down rather than up and stocked up on some value picks..