Telemarketer shut down

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it, especially when they have the nerve to call your CELL PHONE! God in heaven that pisses me off :lol:

Apparently the guy getting called is a professional comedian, who lies in wait for stuff like this. Pre-connected tape recorder, etc.

Yeah, the war that's a-brewing over releasing cell numbers to telemarketers is gonna be a nasty one.

LL":8bsty1kr said:
Apparently the guy getting called is a professional comedian, who lies in wait for stuff like this. Pre-connected tape recorder, etc.

Yeah, the war that's a-brewing over releasing cell numbers to telemarketers is gonna be a nasty one.
I hope WE the cell phone owner win (though I'm doubtful) Its like paying to sit down and listen to a sales pitch. I generally get very nasty, very fast with them and shut them down. I go to night school, so I frequently get calls in class, very annoying.

Now back to your post, it reminds me of the "jerky boys' some years ago, their stuff was pretty insane and funny.

It is my understanding that the issue over marketeers having access to your cell phone number was settled some time ago. Educate me here if this is not correct.

No one is supposed to have access to your cell # unless you gave it to them. That's why I am extremely careful about who I order from over the phone. 99.9% of my buys are on-line and I have a separate email addy for that stuff. :suspect: FTRPLT

ftrplt":kzcigq5u said:
It is my understanding that the issue over marketeers having access to your cell phone number was settled some time ago. Educate me here if this is not correct.
I was speaking of the Big Picture. Land lines are drying up and blowing away at an astounding rate, with something like half the adults under 30 not having (or wanting) one. As that demographic ages (and with successive generations being increasingly cell oriented), landline-only telemarketing will no longer be viable. Meaning the telemarketing industry can see what's coming, and will not go down without a fight. The battle will be like the anti-smoking, anti-abortion, and anti-gun ones, with the issue NEVER being settled, and endless wrangling on both sides.

The telemarketing companies' main weapon is their tight relationship with the telecoms themselves. The telecoms wield enormous influence in Washington, and will always use their power to defend their product's usage as a categorical thing. The vast majority of cell owners not wanting unsolicited advertising/sales calls will mean little in the end, I'm afraid.

I have been getting more and more telemarketer type phone calls in the last several months. I wonder if you can register your cell phone number on the National "Do Not Call" list?

...right.

Though humorous, this approach to telemarketers doesn't represent the proper way to deal with them (and neither does hanging up)...

Stop them.
Tell them to take you off of their list. (it's my understanding that they are legally bound to do so)

or...just don't answer the phone if you don't recognize the number, that's what I do...a friend will leave a message or find another way to get me.

the bastards send texts too. I had to get a text plan because a 5 dollar a month plan is cheaper then individual unwanted texts.

I have a pay as you go tracfone that I use just for emergencies, mainly if my land line gets severed by the road grader, I have a quick way of calling up AT&T to put in a repair call.

I don't have voice mail set up on my phone, as I don't want to pay for automated messages. Good thing too, for in the past 4 or 5 months I've been receiving calls (thanks to the cell phone I can see what numbers have called me) from numbers I don't recognize. One day I decided to answer one of them and it was an automated message that said, "this is your second warning that your auto warranty is about to expire". My husband has received the same message. Very annoying as it is false advertising and you pay for it if you answer it or have voice mail set up.

I fiilled out an online complaint form with the FCC, giving them all of the phone numbers that had called me. Since then, I haven't received any. Maybe they put me on a do not call list. Curious. Or maybe lawsuits have them on the run.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/verizon-wins-in-lawsuit-against-auto-warranty-telemarketers-20090429/

I have T-Mobile - I MAY get one text every couple months. I never answer the phone unless I recognize the number, or unless I'm expecting a service call...I wonder how it is that Verizon is a magnet for scum like this whereas the other carriers not so much...??