Thank You Ol'Dawg!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
I would just like to thank Ol'Dawg for being gracious enough to make a tobacco dream come true for me.

Ever since Mike Smith (Alfredo Buscatti) was very generous in giving me 2 ozs. of aged Cumberland to try I have been jonesing some more of this aged leaf. Honestly in my pipe smoking experience I don't think I have ever desired a tobacco so much. (WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?!!!) I had never smoked anything as exquisite. I didn't think that I would have the patience myself to age any for three years.

Well, Ol'Dawg (Jim) who said that Cumberland no longer agreed with him (?) offered to sell me two 8 oz. tins of aged Cumberland, the least of which is 3 years old, for what he had invested in them. One of them which is 5 years old is actually in the old style vacuum packed foil bag. I just had to open the 5 year old bag, and man! I cannot describe the aroma that waffed from that bag. Unbelievable!!! And even more unbelievable was the flavor that it produced when I fired it up. Oh my goodness!!! I guess it is true when they say that a VA is not really fully matured until it reaches 5 years of age. I am not even going to describe this smoking experience until I have smoked at least a few more bowls of this 5 year old leaf.

I am going to savor this 8 ozs. of the 5 year old Cumberland in hopes that it will allow me a good jump on letting the 3 year old tin age 2 more years before I open it. And in the meantime I will defintiely be purchasing a few more tins of Cumberland to put back for safe keeping!

THANK YOU OL'DAWG!!!!!!!!!

Justpipes,

You're quite welcome! I would have never thought I would get emotionally attached to some tobacco, but I did with this. Though it was a painful loss not being able to smoke it, I'm happy that someone got it that will enjoy it as much as I would have.

Jim

JP: Cumberland and Robusto, for my tastes, are the epitome of what the old blends should be like updated for contemporary smokers. I've written before that these two, w/ Aleister and Winter's Tale, are the absolute best that GLP has ever done. Glad that you found such a deal, especially 5 YO.

Morleysson,

I have smoked GLP blends in the past and liked them. The only other one that I really liked enough to purchase a good amount of is Stradford. I really like that one for some reason. I had tried Cumberland a time or two and didn't think much of it until I more recently tried it with the age on it. WOW! I should have paid closer attention. I have heard the same thing about Haddo's being so much better with significant age. I know that several of Pease's blends appeal to the heavy English smokers but I just don't have much of a taste for them anymore. When I did, I really liked Raven's Wing. I always thought Mephisto was a nice change of pace too.
Cumberland is almost indescribable!