The All-Star Team

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This won't work for butterflies. But for settled obsessive-compulsives, it can.

Four main tobaccos : FVF, Embarcadero, Key Largo and English (currently, Blackpoint).

Three pipes each dedicated to E, KL and BP -- love affair pipe-weed combinations.

Six pipes dedicated to FVF. Same story.

Fills up one carosel and one rack, leaving none loose for the kitten to play with. (Pipe cleaners remain fair game).

Reason : Dedication because they just get better and better this way. Hidden advantage : because any good tobacco tastes different in different pipes. Italian pipes are especially interesting. Experience here (and the experiences of those with more acute perceptions) has been that a given tobacco is lighter and clearer tasting in an Italian pipe made of Italian briar. So there are currently one each for FVF and E, two for BP, and a roster slot open for one that likes KL.

Similarly, IMHO, old Irish (standard shapes) pipes have an uncanny affinity for Virginia flakes, bringing out the fuller, darker, deeper aspects of them. So these are distributed accordingly.

Old English pipes (the remainder) have their affinities as well. They're individualists.

As a result, Not only is there a dedicated pipe ready for any given tobac, but one that will (or at least can) bring out this or that aspect of its character.

There are worse situations to end up in, and it focuses the acquisitive impulse (when that rears its head) nicely -- narrowing the range of potential choices down to finding the right pipe for the right job.

:face:

psh, you have more favorite blends than I do pipes! lol I'm hoping for a bulldog or poker for Christmas. :D :D Right now I have one pipe for aromatics, one for english, and one for Virginias

I haven't tried KL, but I would agree that pipe dedication is worth the effort.

I have Peterson's dedicated to PS blends... Luxury Twist, Birdseye, and Luxury Navy Flake

BP and FVF are on my selective list. My Brighams are for English and do well there. The FVF is impressing me more (perhaps aging) and pipe dedication is Dunhill.

I have a Savinelli that works well with Anni Kake.

So I guess it's almost an All-Star team... I choose tobacco first and then pipe and most often it is dedicated or fairly close.

Bracken Flake/Stonehaven/Night Train/Old Joe Krantz have their pipes.

Funny... I never thought about it before... but I choose the tobacco first, then the pipe comes easily to match it.

Free Bird":yzwdp1hu said:
you have more favorite blends than I do pipes!
First pipe in 1963. First better-than-drugstore pipe in 1973. They accumulate as you go along :D Exercise some discrimination from a long-term perspective, and you'll be in good shape in a few years' time.

Onward and Upward :cheers:

:face: