The Amphora Apple Project

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Man

Reaction score
A short time back I picked up an Amphora apple at an antique store for $8. I’ve been looking for a cheap pipe to attempt a restore on and this fit the bill.

The pipe wasn’t in too bad of shape to start with with mild oxidation on the stem, scratches around the bowl, a little faded stain, and some buildup on the rim. Reaming to wood, a deep cleaning, and alcohol/cotton ball treatment came first. I used Walker Briarworks stem restore product to remove the oxidation from the stem. Since I wanted some experience with staining I removed the original stain with a soak in isopropyl alcohol (which also doubled to remove the tar buildup on the rim). Scratches were taken care of with micro mesh pads. The bowl was then stained and buffed.

It’s not perfect but for a first attempt I’m pretty satisfied with it. I certainly learned a few things, which was the primary goal. The next step is to give it a test smoke and see how it goes, but even it doesn’t smoke worth a damn it was a cheap learning experience!

I think you did a great job on the pipe and I have been toying with the same idea.

Thanks guy! Peanubutter I’d definitely go for it if I were you, just jumping right in (with a little research of course) wasn’t as intimidating as I thought it may be, and it’s fun and rewarding.

Looks good! For $8 and a little elbow grease you got a great deal. I’ve been wanting to do the same but I’m lazy and have other projects to complete first, maybe for next winter.

I’d be interested in pics/stories/tips of any others you do in the future.

Hey, great job Rail Man! That cleaned up really well. Classic shape too!

Thanks everyone! I hope to do another someday in the future and I will post the results here.

There's nothing quite as nice as rescuing an old war horse from oblivion. Great job on the restore and what a lovely shape. Hope it smokes as good as it looks.

Jim