The Benefits of a Local B & M

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT/VSG

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I stopped by my favorite local B & M this afternoon, Smokers' Haven, to see what was new in stock and, as I walk in the door, there's Michael Parks, my favorite pipemaker, hanging out with Premal Chheda! Michael, in addition to being an outstanding pipe maker, is a completely charming and pleasant guy. So I spent some time just shooting the breeze with him, discussing what he's been making and what's going on in the pipe world. What a pleasant Saturday afternoon! Just one of the many benefits of a local B & M.

Time now to fire up a Parks Dublin that I bought from him at the Columbus show last summer.

That sounds like a great Saturday afternoon to me too! Unfortunately, the nearest B&M is 60 miles away, in a town of around 16,000. And it's a SMALL shop, but friendly and cool. Sometime in the coming months I am going to be in Denver, and I plan on visiting a shop there called "Edwards." I've heard that it's a great pipe/tobacco joint -- anyone here familiar with it?

Trout Bum":5zslmiai said:
Sometime in the coming months I am going to be in Denver, and I plan on visiting a shop there called "Edwards." I've heard that it's a great pipe/tobacco joint -- anyone here familiar with it?
Edwards are franchise shops that originated in FL, I believe. I have visited the ones in Tampa and Lakeland, FL. Both very nice shops. The one in Englewood, CO is probably very similar. They have some good house blends as well as a large selection of pipes, at least the ones in FL do. Definitely worth visiting.

Edwards, in Englewood (a suburb of Denver), is a great shop. Covered wall to wall with pipes, tobacco, and other related supplements. It’s not very large, but it has two walk-in humidors, one for cigars and the other for the bulk pipe tobacco. They sell several brands of bulk, the Edwards line being their largest, which they prepare from base components right there in the store. The selection of tinned tobacco is fantastic and one of the best that I’ve ever seen, including the online shops. Their prices are very good, certainly the best in the Denver area. They also have a very decent selection of pipes, including Dunhills, Castellos, and other good brands. But they also carry the Edwards pipes, of course, and other more affordable lines.

Brian is the owner, a relatively young guy that takes his business very seriously. I like very much to talk to him and try to go there as often as I can (which isn’t very often these days). They have a nice smoking lounge in the back with a big screen TV. Smoking is allowed. You can easily spend a few hours there. Tom and Dave are also very nice easy going guys. Bring a pipe and they’ll supply you with plenty of samples to try, bulk and tinned.

Try to go there when they have an event. RD Field goes there regularly, at least once a year.

P.S.- Their cigar selection is also excellent, if that’s what you fancy. During the cigar boom in the 90’s, they were the only ones in the Denver area able to ensure a constant supply of the hot brands.

Okay, now I just want to fire up the truck, climb over the divide, and head straight to Edwards! I have heard that the Englwood shop has a lot of character, and that it is quite to visit. I will report my findings!