The best pipe you own

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
The best pipe you own:
Is it one that forces you to be a better smoker, or,
one that lets you get away with being a sloppy smoker?
Just wondering.

It's the one that is just magic with a particular tobacco. One of my GBD New Era billiards smokes FVF superbly. It may be my best pipe.

An Armellini Fatte A Mano. We've destroyed a lot of tobacco together and somehow despite all the other pipes I have, some of a better lineage, this blasted bent beast is the one. Out of curiosity, how many of you have that one particular pipe that you gravitate to and why? I knew when I picked this pipe up, I had to have it. It was more than PAD, perhaps a sick lust; particularly when you consider the name of the pipe. What makes this my best pipe? To me the aesthetics are spot on and its smoking characteristics are exemplary. I feed it Lat blends and it is happy.

My Ashton Rhodesian ('98). When I bought it, I feared it was too small as to that point I've only smoked larger, American style pipes. Turns out, it is the perfect size and gave me an appreciation for a pocket-type pipe. Smokes like a dream, hangs just right. It's sturdy enough to carry in my pocket pouch without fear. I have a Dunhill that I suppose is a "better" pipe", but this one is my best smoker so far and the one I enjoy the most.

It´s funny, price doesn't seem to have much bearing on the pipes that really deliver for me. My "inner circle" changes over time but there are a few that stay in the fold consistently.

One that I've had forever is an old Savinelli Oscar Canadian that just works. I know that whatever I smoke in it I'm going to enjoy.

Honorable mention would go to one of my Petersons 264s and a Sasieni 4 Dot (not Four Dot) billiard. Neither are very expensive but I love 'em!

I have a few dedicated pipes that work great too, but that´s a focus group so they don't see as much action unless I´m smoking those specific blends.

I was curious, because I recently obtained a cheap transition period Sasieni bulldog that absolutely allows me to be a terrible smoker with impunity. I can puff as hard and as fast as I want, and it won't get hot, or gurgle! I haven't even let it rest before loading it up again, still warm from the previous smoke, with the same results. Bowls smoke down in no time as the capacity is pretty limited, but this pipe is always ready for another. I'm stunned, and pleased.
I shall call it "Wonder Pipe", the idiot proof smoking device.

Unfair question...it's like asking which of your kids/aunts/uncles/grandparents is your favorite or the best one. Each one has their individual characteristics that make them special. I do have about 10 pipes that have earned their own nickname because of their really unique qualities. For example I have a Rocheleau straight volcano that's been smoked well over 300 times and has never needed reaming nor an alcohol stem cleaning. Only one cleaner is needed after a smoke and it comes out almost clean. It's nickname is "Merlin" for these almost magical qualities.

Jim..with apologies to my other nicknamed pipes for not listing them :lol:

From the pipes I've purchased and been given as gifts my W.O. Larsen billiard has to be my number one favorite.. a Dunhill second is one of my second favorites..no pun intended....

and several I've made myself that would qualify as JSEC seconds or some that sat on my website too long.. it doesn't hurt so much when they get banged up while travelling as I can just make another one..

I can never replace the thought gone into pipes bought for me from my family.

James

Toss up.
My GBD prehistoric with Triple Play or my MM bent Patriot with Squadron Leader. Great combos.

Harlock999":cmmhm819 said:
The best pipe you own:
Is it one that forces you to be a better smoker, or,
one that lets you get away with being a sloppy smoker?
Just wondering.
Neither. It's aesthetics, coupled with functionality.

A few years ago, out of the blue, an old tobacconist boss of mine sent me two cripples: a Caminetto 192 Business and a Dunhill Shell group 3 billiard. Both have cracked shanks. The Dunhill has a deep, great blast, and it had been smoked hard. The Dunhill is an English tobacco maestro. I can't get a bad smoke out of it, and while I like slightly larger pipes, it always seems to be the perfect size when it is the chosen one. It was the first pipe I thought of as I was reading GL Pease's piece on the elusive perfect smoke (anyone have a title and link on that?). The Caminetto is my best all-around smoker. No matter what I put in it, it delivers on flavor, coolness, and all the other factors you hope out of a pipe. Neither crack has greatened over the years, but the caution I feel is necessary is sometimes a big drawback. I avoid stress at all cost, so the fact that these both bring that bit of tension can bother me at times. I like to take care of my stuff, so it isn't that I want to beat on these pipes. Now that they surprisingly anchor my rotation, I don't want to have to deal with repairing them.

I don't know if both these pipes were owned by the same person or what tobaccos were smoked out of them before they came into my possession. I know nothing of their history or travels. I only know, maybe by pure blissful coincidence, that they came to me at the same time and have both proven to be top shelf smokers. The only cripples I own, too.

Well I have 2, Irish twins if you will. When I smoke these pipes I deliberately take my time and that makes me a better pipe smoker. Mr. Howell I eternally tip my hat to you for carving this wonderful pair...

DSCN3323.jpg

Midnight Blues":ybdq5oad said:
Well I have 2, Irish twins if you will. When I smoke these pipes I deliberately take my time and that makes me a better pipe smoker. Mr. Howell I eternally tip my hat to you for carving this wonderful pair...

DSCN3323.jpg
I have never seen anything quite like those. Stunning.

KW, thanks for the kind words. This pair was carved by Jack Howell in 2008, Jack is a US pipe carver that I consider
among the best of the best. You can find his website here: Jack Howell Pipes

The two eskimos/volkimos are sweet! I really like seeing your pics, MB.

Midnight, those Howells rock! The volcano shape has always been hit or miss IMO, either clunky and uncomfortable or elegant and whimsical, and those two are exactly what a good volcano should look like. I especially like the one on the right

Right now my Thomas James billiard. But it changes, that's the fun of it, but he's a great undervalued carver (but not for long, I'd wager).

Midnight Blues":gildfc6s said:
KW, thanks for the kind words. This pair was carved by Jack Howell in 2008, Jack is a US pipe carver that I consider
among the best of the best. You can find his website here:
I'm sure he should have pursued a career for fine automobile styling in addition to his work...his results are brilliant!!! Apparently he doesn't have problems selling them. He only has one pipe for sale currently, and if that price is indicative of his work in general, it's a bargain!

Now I just want a nice roadster convertible with the same curves to drive while smoking one of them. :)