The best Sherlock Holmes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeremy Brett gets my vote. No one else comes close IMHO. Edward Hardwicke makes the best Watson. I think that combination is perfect. To me they match the original stories perfectly. I have the entire Granada Television series on DVD and watch them repeatedly.

Robert Downey Jr......Har,Har! How are they going to do the cocaine scenes?
Hope that doesn't start him off on another binge or that movie will never get
finished. :twisted:

Winslow :sunny:

Jeremy Brett by far...he was born to play Sherlock...too bad he passed away before they could finish all the short stories as they had plans to do...still they did finish 41 out of 56 iirc...

Neuromancer, that truly was a sad day. It's my favorite set of DVD's. I have a book containing all the original stories with illustrations as they appeared in the Strand Magazine. This was my favorite book as a child (probably another reason I'm a pipe smoker) When I saw the Granada series I just flipped. They really brought the series to life. Even the dialog is very close to the original and actually verbatim in some spots. The pipe smoking ain't bad either. I think Brett being a pipe smoker helped. I believe it was he that suggested lighting his pipe with a fireplace ember as Holmes often did. He probably drew the line at saving and smoking his dottles. :affraid:

Winslow, I think you're right about Downey. Will Ferrel :?: :affraid: After Brett I just can't accept anyone else as Holmes.

Jeremy Brett.

So many favorite writings to choose from...I'd have to say that although typical as it ,may be "Hound of teh baskerville" is on top three.

Davey

I think "Silver Blaze" was one of the cleverest. I showed Holmes techniques very well. The Hound is also one of my favorite stories.

Gotta agree with the Jeremy Brett group. When I saw his portrayel of Holmes I could no longer enjoy my tapes of Basil Rathbone. And of course Nigel Bruce was quite entertaining but nothing like the Watson portrayed in Doyle's stories.

What's amazing (and depressing) about the Brett/Granada episodes is they were done on a shoestring. The BBC is notoriously tight-fisted, and compromises had to be made at every turn.

Imagine what we'd have on DVD today if those players and writers hadn't been so constrained by time and money.

I just got that first volume of the B&N set of complete works. I had never sat down and read any Sherlock Holmes. I am riveted. I love reading Doyle's stuff. I wish I had more time to read, but I am trying to plug through it when I get a chance.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":q0fn9rnl said:
I'm a decided Jeremy Brett guy! He brought a certain charm to Holmes that few others were able to deliver.
Jeremy Brit was hands down the best in my book. Not just because of the Holmes character, But they gave Watson back his intelligence through David Burke.
Early on, Rathbone and Bruce were my favs....But it reading the books, Watson wasn't a bumbling foil.....He was an intelligent battlefield surgeon....Poor Bruces rendition (I'm sure a tool by the producers, not the actors choice ) would never have survived india.......

Just my .02

I have to agree with the Jeremy Brett crowd here. He injects a definite manic energy to the role that really fits with how I imagined it when I read the books and stories. As for Watson, I like David Burke, with Hardwicke a close second. Also I really liked that they included the drug use in the Granada episodes. Not that I am a proponent of drug use but to see a quick glance of the syringe and see the malaise that Holmes was in really was an important part of the Holmes character.

Being old, and just having watched (again, after many years) some of the now restored and remastered installments of the Rathbone-Bruce series I must aver that for me it was Basil Rathbone, although his pairing with Bruce's caricaturesque take on Watson was a bit of a flaw, I believe. It allowed Rathbone, however, to appear at all times superior and masterly, which is what he did best. Also, with the possible exception of The Scarlet Claw (1944), the direction, writing and production values of these B-film series left something to be desired. I enjoyed the care taken by Greanada TV to produce the Jeremy Brett episodes, but I don't like his characterization of Holmes, as I find his ambiguous and neurotic Sherlock irritating and overacted.

m2j3t6":4mrj7y0h said:
I have a book containing all the original stories with illustrations as they appeared in the Strand Magazine. This was my favorite book as a child (probably another reason I'm a pipe smoker) When I saw the Granada series I just flipped. They really brought the series to life. Even the dialog is very close to the original and actually verbatim in some spots. :affraid:
The Granada Brett series has become my hands down favorite. Growing up I used to watch the Rathbone films every Saturday afternoon on TV and enjoyed them immensely. Today they seem to pale compared to the authenticity of the Jeremy Brett series. Yes, too bad they never got a chance to finish them, same for the Granada Hercule Poirot series which is another fave.

A bit of trivia is that supposedly one scene in each of the Brett series actually matches an illustration from the original stories. I have spotted a few of them but have not sat down to watch all the shows with the intention of finding the matching scenes.

Politics, religion, art - all of these things leave much open to debate.

The best Sherlock on the other hand is a simple fact, as sure as gravity pulls us all to earth.

My apologies to the flood of Brett fans, but Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce are without question the best Sherlock and Watson by far - a bit dated perhaps, but for me it helps to capture the feeling of days gone by better than the Brett versions more elaborate effort.

Of course I am another who grew up watching Basil and Nigel - they are family to me :)

the macdonald":6qh27ikz said:
Jeremy Brett! There is no other Sherlock. He brought a turbulent arrogance to the role that was perfect. His Sherlock was a genius and he knew it, but there was always tension underlying his accurate solutions. It seemed like he was struggling with his savage self underneath the civilized Englishman. I can’t read any of the stories without seeing Jeremy Brett.
+1

:cheers:

Endless treasonous blaspheme :)

Are there no other Rathbone/Bruce fans about?

gandalfpc":prs0oxsz said:
Endless treasonous blaspheme :)

Are there no other Rathbone/Bruce fans about?
Gad zooks man! There were plenty of Rathbone fans until Jeremy Brett perfected Sherlockian performances for all times.

..And yes I changed my avatar because of this discussion, although I’m probably a 34 year old version of Mycroft, without the indispensable intellect, but I’m adverse to physical activity and would love a club where the one rule in no talking, but I admire Sherlock's energy, especially as played by Mr Brett.

"I’m adverse to physical activity and would love a club where the one rule in no talking,"

Here here. May I join if you find such a club? :study:

Trappist Monasteries allow no talking,surely your not thinking of........... :shock:

Winslow :sunny: