The best Sherlock Holmes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winslow":x3ewb5c8 said:
Trappist Monasteries allow no talking,surely your not thinking of........... :shock:

Winslow :sunny:
Alas Winslow they also do not allow another activity of which I am quite fond. Not quite ready to give that up! :twisted:

I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan of the books and some of the on screen adaptions. In my opinion Jeremy Bret by far played the best Holmes. He managed to portray Holmes arrogance, energy and frustration immaculately, as well as his cold charecter and the brotherly love he had for Watson.

On TV/movies, Jeremy Brett is my far my favorite. On the radio, it is a toss up between Basil Rathbone and Clive Merrison. While Rathbone was great in the old movies during the 40's, I enjoy listening to his radio dramatizations far more. Some of the scripts for the Rathbone/Bruce radio series were actually more clever in my opinion than many of the scripts from the movies they starred in! On the other hand, Clive Merrison was brilliant as Holmes in the British radio series that was broadcast in the late 80's/early 90's. Merrison really captured the manic side of Holmes and in some ways, I think his portrayal was better than Brett's, although it is probably unfair to compare a TV actor with a radio actor! I highly recommend seeking out the Merrison series though! It was the first radio series to record the entire Canon (all 60 stories!), not to mention they wound up doing about a dozen originals due to popular demand after the Canon was completed.

-Scott

Watched Basil Rathbone before I read any of the stories, so I am biased. He will always be the benchmark.

However, that version with Nigel Bruce has colored my view of Watson. Just starting to get over his Watson-as-a-buffoon. No way Holmes would tolerate an goof.

well, they were all great. jeremy, basil, whoever
david burke was my favorite watson... anyone know why he was replaced by hardwicke?
old-time radio fans can hear a holmes series sponsored by clipper-craft men's clothiers on-line at chml a.m. 900, a canadian radio station.
from 10 p.m.-2 a.m (except when they're broadcasting maple leaf hockey or tigercats football, when the broadcasts start an hour or so later) chml broadcasts other old time radio shows like the green hornet, hopalong cassidy, the shadow, johnny dollar, the lone ranger, and a bunch of others.
for someone who grew up listening to radio (too poor to own a t.v. til the mid 50's),
the nostalgia is overpowering!! great fun!
jrtaster/john

Jeremy Brett was by far the best Holmes. Granted I did watch the Granada Serise first and this has colored my opinion, but when I read the books I too alsways think of Brett. Also I think he bears a striking resemblance to the illustrations by Sidney Paget from the Strand. When I watched some of the Rathbone-Bruce episodes the characters seem fake and over played, as many have mentioned Watson is played as a buffoon. Though I suppose Rathbone is okay Brett is by far a better played Holmes.

While Basil Rathbone was, admittedly, a better actor, Jeremy Brett was the the best Holmes.

Sadly Rathbone was not merely hamstrung, but essentially hobbled by both Nigel Bruce's buffoonish take on Watson and the updated scripts of "Sherlock vs. the Axis". Even watching these as a child I was slack-jawed with disbelief. Brett, on the other hand, found his role of a lifetime in playing Holmes.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":pgpzjp6h said:
I'm a decided Jeremy Brett guy! He brought a certain charm to Holmes that few others were able to deliver.
agreed!! Brett in my mind captured Holmes like no other

abbacab":x5dqsi9t said:
While Basil Rathbone was, admittedly, a better actor, Jeremy Brett was the the best Holmes.

Sadly Rathbone was not merely hamstrung, but essentially hobbled by both Nigel Bruce's buffoonish take on Watson and the updated scripts of "Sherlock vs. the Axis". Even watching these as a child I was slack-jawed with disbelief. Brett, on the other hand, found his role of a lifetime in playing Holmes.
I have always been troubled by film makers who portrayed Watson as a buffoon. It takes him completely out of character as he was presented in the stories. After all the man was an M.D. Where do they come up with that idea?

I agree wholeheartedly about J. Brett.

yes the one on PBS now is good, been watching. Though I have not seen any pipe smoking...... Not PC in England now I would guess. :evil:

I like all of them being a Sherlockian.
Peter Cushing played an admirable Holmes.
Thought I wouldn't like the new PBS Holmes
because of the nicotene patches, but I enjoy
it emensely. I love the new version with Downey
and am looking foward to the new one coming
out next year.

Funn

I prefer the Basil Rathbone version of Holmes. My mom made me watch them with her a ton as a kid, so I might be disowned if I said otherwise. However, she hated Nigel Bruce's portrayal of Watson. Jeremy Brett ruined himself for me when he was in My Fair Lady, he was kind of wimpy! I really liked Jude Law as Watson, I think it was his best role.

Christopher Plummer (with James Mason as dr. W.) in "Murder by Decree" (1979) was my favourite.
Somehow I imagined Holmes to look like that after reading the books. Of course, many were very good in that role, but Plummer kind of looked like a 'classic' Sherlock to me.

plummer_2101991i.jpg

Aye!! Jeremy Brett, for sure.

It is NOT often my wife and I are in staunch agreement over a certian subject.....Jeremey Brett as Holmes!!

pipeclubsi":lx1chxfu said:
Christopher Plummer (with James Mason as dr. W.) in "Murder by Decree" (1979) was my favourite.
Somehow I imagined Holmes to look like that after reading the books. Of course, many were very good in that role, but Plummer kind of looked like a 'classic' Sherlock to me.
For those Netflix enthusiasts interested, I believe "Murder By Decree" is available for Instant Watch right now. I haven't seen it yet myself, but may have to put it on while I am enjoying a day off from work today!

-Scott

Absolutely no question-JEREMY BRETT!!!!! I had read every story, case, yadda, yadda, etc. over the years and, to me, he presented the perfect image of how I always imagined Sherlock to be. The world lost a unique and profound individual when he passed. Oddly, I found the guy who portrayed Watson in that series to be quite mediocre, compared to other portrayals Ive seen. He seemed completely out of place, next to the likes of Brett. To those who havent yet seen it, the new Sherlock series on BBC's Masterpiece is absolutely fantastic, probably the best show Ive seen in years. Not suprising, coming from BBC and PBS.

sorry but i think the new pbs series is OFF THE WALL. scandal in belgravia??? with holmes in some muslim country saving irene adler (cast as a dominitrix--sp?) from being beheaded, c'mon!!!

if the homes vs the axis series was debasing the sherlockian concept, the new pbs series trumps them in spades.

so i cannot nominate benedict cumberbatch as the "best" sherlock.....weirdest maybe!!