The best year of Christmas Cheer?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
Soliciting opinions here. What year is the best for McClellands Christmas Cheer, and why? I think for me the 99 was the best. I like orange-red virginia's and this year had a sweetness and aftertaste that reminded me of apples. I haven't had the younger years, yet! what does the Brotherhood think?

Although I've got sealed tins from '98 through '08, I've only ever smoked 94, 00, 04, and 05, (I hate to open those cute little aging tins, even though for some years I've got a half dozen or more!). The '94 was several years ago and to be honest, I don't recall to much about the smoke, but the sugar crystals that formed on them were immense. Of the three remaining I've tried (and had them all open at once so I could smoke them side by side), I thought the '05 was the best. Most reviews I've read didn't rate '05 that high, but it had a citrus-like sharpness to it I really liked.

Natch

As this is my first Christmas, I'm on my first tin.
I picked up four tins of '03 from McCrainies.
I'm lovin' it, but I have nothing to compare it to.
I got three tins of '08 that will wait til I smoke the '03.
My plan is to buy three or four each year and
smoke one each Christmas.

True fans, of which I may be only slightly, considered the '92 version to be the standard by which to judge other years. I only have a '97 unopened left from the '90s. I thought that the '04 and '05 were flavorful if unexceptional smokes, but light years better than most other VAs. I may not be the best judge since VAs are not my strength.

i have a tin of 1998 which i moved to a mason Jar and 10 years later it is still the worst of the lot. Extremely hot and almost metalic in flavor.... i have a tin opened from 2004 on and i cant tell the difference between them. All are good and benefit from some drying before smoking. Considering i have seen tins in various places of this tobacco from as late as 2005 going for 50 bucks a tin Im supplementing my life insurance policy in the event of my death my wife should be able to do quite well with the supply i have.

'01 was the best for me, one of the best VAs I've smoked. Don't ask me to tell you how it tasted as it's been too long.