The chair (very long story) ***PICS ADDED***

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No, not the electric chair..........

The story-

So, back in the mid 60's when I was learning to play the guitar my Pap took me to a furniture store to get a decent chair for me to sit on since the one I had been using was somewhat worn out. This was kind of a big deal since at that time Pap and me weren't exactly seeing eye to eye, as I was a rebellious contrarian (as early teens are sometimes wont to be)

So at the store Pap says to the salesman "he plays the guitar" (pointing to me, and strumming the air) and tells him I need a good chair in which to practice. So we go off and I sit in a few chairs and finally decide on a nice and comfortable one without arms. Don't remember what it cost but this store was kind of upscale and I remember being impressed that Pap would go there, as he was always very frugal.

So that chair and I bonded from that point. It saw me through my development starting as a bassist for several years, through learning 6-string and developing into a budding lead guitarist.

After I left the nest I took that chair with me, from my first marriage through divorce and moving again and again. Always took refuge in the fact that Pap got it for me even when I wasn't certain that he liked me, or me him. Yet he supported my musical side, even though I knew full well he wanted me to follow in his footsteps as an all around athlete.

That chair became my companion through the years. It started to become frayed around the edges, and the fabric started to split exposing the stuffing. There also were several large stains on the seat which to this day I have no memory of. And it remained my favourite chair to sit and play guitar.

When I relocated to the Pac NW during a career move in the early 90's it accompanied me. By now it was so ugly that my second (now ex) wife made a cover for it, which disguised the abuse it had taken over the years. It was still comfortable and like an old friend, but by now some of the padding was starting to bulge out on the seat. And still I refused to give it up.

And it came to pass that about a year ago the seat padding was starting to get uncomfortable. I hasten to add that I used this chair literally daily for guitar playing. It was a connection to Pap, you see. What to do, what to do....

So I started to look around at upholstery places. Of course they all wanted me to bring in the chair for an estimate. After I described the chair to them they called it a "slipper chair" (I had no idea what kind it was). Several estimates over the phone came it at a low of $450 to a high of $600!!!  :shock:

Frankly I cant believe this chair cost more than $100 back in the day, in fact it very probably was more like half that. But that was like 1965 or so. So what do I know....

In any case I observed that the wooden frame was very solid with no compromise to the components. And the springs were also in great shape. So it had the potential to be re-upholstered. If......I could find someone to do this at a price point I could afford.

Yes, I did price out brand new slipper chairs (or accent chairs as some describe them). Target and Fred Meyer had them at around the $200 mark. I even went down to Target to check one of them out, and while they were OK I didn't know how the construction/integrity would compare to my 51 year old chair. Know what I'm saying?

I'm very pleased to say that I found a local upholstery guy to do this for $300. It was a bit of a negotiation but he did a great job. He had a fabric remnant that had a South Western theme (kind of like a mosaic with plenty of reds/beige/grey/blue. And he did a fantastic job of matching the pattern from the back to the seat and sides.

In addition, he replaced the seat padding which is now back to what I remember it being originally! Plus all the beading (not sure if this is the right term) around the sides and back. The fabric is kind of "nubby" as I call it as opposed to being too smooth. Just like Goldilocks porridge it's just right. This guy really put in the time!

Call me crazy for paying that much when I could have gone to the local second hand store and gotten a padded folding chair for like $5. And I don't piss money if you're wondering!

Equally, the chair my late Pap got for me back when we weren't necessarily getting along has great sentimental value to me. Including and especially all the development I had coming up as well as the songs I've written on it. How can one put a price on that?!

Folks, I surely wish I could post a pic here of "the chair". It's fine in all regards, and should serve me well for the next 51 years. Hope I live that long. I think Pap would approve.

Thanks for making it to the end of this story..........

:cat:

Cheers,

RR

It's an heirloom and something you love. I think it was well worth the cost. Things like that are our connections with the past. Of it self it's just a chair, but that's not really the point is it? it's the memories it invokes. Great story. Well done Rande! :)

Great story, Rande. Makes me wish I got my hand-me-down Lazy-E boy recliner that my mother gave me fixed.

Anyway, I almost feel compelled to drive up to your place and take a picture of it for you, so we can see it. :p

I am sure the stains on the original fabric had something to do with your name, (some kind of dark beer, maybe).

Thank you for sharing this great tale. Rande, I can just imagine the memories that chair holds!

Sounds like a great historical piece. The way I understand it, value is in the eye of the beholder, and so that chair must be invaluable to you. Good to hear it's in better sorts and ready to serve you yet again!

Very cool story Rande, thanks for sharing it with us! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'm proud of you. I screwed up years ago as I got my grandfathers prized Pipe smoking/solitaire chair. You just melted into it. Kept it for 20 years and in the move from Ohio to NC I got rid of it. I consider it one of my greatest regrets in this life.

Great story! The best items are the ones that contain memories.

Awesome story! In today's world, too many people tend to throw stuff away instead of fixing it.

One more thing - pics or it didn't happen!! :cheers:

Seriously - I for one would like to see it.

A most enjoyable read Rande.

It's wonderful that you have such a treasured link to your father and have been able to restore it to extend its usable life. So many others would have simply discarded it. Speaks volumes that does Sir.

Here's to the next 51 years...

Thanks for the kind words all. I'm loving the chair and it's as comfortable as a pair of old slippers. The upholstery guy really did a bang up job.

Tell ya what, I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera and take some pics. Posting them here is another matter though. No experience with that, and being as I'm tech challenged it might not pan out. But I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers,

RR

It's sad to say that life just doesn't give you that many objects that become an accompaniment to your life. You were fortunate to save and renew yours. If you can figure how to to get a picture of it, (or you playing guitar on it!) that would be great.

riff raff":otodcxx4 said:
It's sad to say that life just doesn't give you that many objects that become an accompaniment to your life.  You were fortunate to save and renew yours. If you can figure how to to get a picture of it, (or you playing guitar on it!) that would be great.
I'll be working on it Al!

:D

Cheers,

RR

OK, so I borrowed a digital camera and took some pics of the chair. They were then e-mailed to me but as I understand it, I can't post them directly to this site.

Photobucket has been mentioned as one way to do this, but seem to remember someone saying there were recent issues with that site. So what site should I use first?

Cheers,

RR

Photobucket has always worked great for me, I have tons of pics there.

Brewdude":iss26f7y said:
I'm very pleased to say that I found a local upholstery guy to do this for $300.
We just enjoyed a similar situation and are thrilled with the results! Ours is a 26 year old couch that was made from a natural hide with all the scars and wrinkles. Unfortunately time and heavy use over the years some of the wrinkles on the seating surface had torn and we got tired of fixing them but we couldn't find a upholsterer who wanted to deal with sewing the leather, they all wanted to just make new cushions. We found a gal who was eager to do what we wanted all along replace the leather tops with a high quality long wearing tapestry fabric. She even was able to harvest enough leather to replace the worn out seam roll. It cost me the price of a lower price sofa but she saved our family heirloom. :shock:

daveinlax":v5w3glxd said:
Brewdude":v5w3glxd said:
I'm very pleased to say that I found a local upholstery guy to do this for $300.
We just enjoyed a similar situation and are thrilled with the results! Ours is a 26 year old couch that was made from a natural hide with all the scars and wrinkles. Unfortunately time and heavy use over the years some of the wrinkles on the seating surface had torn and we got tired of fixing them but we couldn't find a upholsterer who wanted to deal with sewing the leather, they all wanted to just make new cushions. We found a gal who was eager to do what we wanted all along replace the leather tops with a high quality long wearing tapestry fabric. She even was able to harvest enough leather to replace the worn out seam roll. It cost me the price of a lower price sofa but she saved our family heirloom. :shock:
Ya, sometimes the intrinsic value is worth more than the dollar amount. Good that you preserved a piece of your history.

hobie1dog":v5w3glxd said:
Photobucket has always worked great for me, I have tons of pics there.
Well I'll go there and see if I can figure it out. Don't hold your breath......

Cheers,

RR

OK, so I got the chair pics up on Photobucket. But now I can't seem to get them posted here. I've followed what I think are the right procedures and after pasting in the url I go to preview the post, but all that shows is the url address and not the pic.

1. Had the pic up on photobucket
2. Right click and copy the link location
3. Open the image icon on the reply screen
4. Paste in the link
5. Go to preview and no cigar

No idea what to do now!

:x

No Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":1vdycsmr said:
OK, so I borrowed a digital camera and took some pics of the chair. They were then e-mailed to me but as I understand it, I can't post them directly to this site.

Photobucket has been mentioned as one way to do this, but seem to remember someone saying there were recent issues with that site. So what site should I use first?

Cheers,

RR
OK, got it. In the upper left corner of the image there's a dialogue box. Go to share, click the direct link, then paste it into the image URL. See if that works.