The Curse of the Annabel Lee :::: October Bombing Run

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelot55

Reaction score
...And neither the angels in heaven above,

Nor the demons down under the sea,

Can ever dissever my soul from the soul

Of the beautiful Annabel Lee...

:::ATTENTION ALL PILOTS:::

As you know, October is a little different from other months for this squadron. As usual a normal mission run will occur this month but it will run concurrently with a special event that is becoming a nice tradition around here. I've got lot's of fun planned for us, but first things first, here is how this will proceed:

If you’d like in on the normal run this month follow procedure and respond in this thread.

This month's theme will be Halloween. Feel free to include a menagerie of spooktacular treats for our unsuspecting victim.  :twisted:

If you’d like to participate in the special October event also indicate that in your reply. Do not assume an “I’m in” on the run implies you’re in on both.

Please pm me with any questions.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What follows is an invitation to a most fascinating adventure. Penned in the steady hand of Commander Ocelot on thin vellum, and sealed with the official insignia of the squadron, the document reads thusly:

To my most faithful compatriot of the Brothers of Briar Bombing Squadron Unit One,

It is with great anticipation that I write to you, on this, the Tuesday of October sixth, in the year of our Lord twenty-fifteen. A most curious event befell me last week as I was in my chambers, of which I knew I must inform you immediately as it is a matter of the utmost excitement and opportunity. As I sat enjoying the last pipe full of the day there came a knock on the door. Not often do I entertain guests late in the evening, so I knew the occasion for the visit must be of some importance. The gentleman at the door was an acquaintance of mine, a one Captain Robert Cartwright, a ship-man of some renown on the east coast.

Despite his somewhat disheveled appearance, he was in good spirits, and wished to relay some information to me, information that, I trust, you will find of interest as well. You see sometime ago the vessel the Annabel Lee was sunk somewhere off  the east coast, presumably north of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Shipwrecks alone are not particularly worthy of more than half a line in the week's newspaper, but this was somewhat of a different case. You see, the Annabel Lee was rumored to be carrying, deep in its hold, treasures unlike any fellow pipe man has beheld before: tamps of gold and silver, pipes of such age and antiquity fit only for the most noble of tobacco blends, and other such sundries. It was also rumored that one of these pipes held a powerful curse. Of course such superstitions are of little importance in these days of great discovery and science, but they do provide for an entertaining distraction and even more potential for a salvage mission. How ironic that the vessel that ferried the supposed accursed object met with such an ill fate.

As the case may be, Captain Cartwright told me that on a recent voyage he thought he espied the wreck of an unknown vessel, and took note of the coordinates. Knowing my fancy for adventure he thought it made good sense to inform me as soon as possible before other salvagers, mongrels, or other such swarthy characters discovered it as well.

And now to the purpose of this letter. I would like to extend an invitation to you, my friend, to accompany me and the other squadron members who elect to travel with me, on what is sure to be quite an adventure. In the best case, we shall find the Annabel Lee and lay claim to her cargo. In the worst, I shall inconvenience you for only a few weeks, and shall provide you with good company and even better spirits. I assure you that, should we find the Annabel Lee's treasure, all loot shall be equitably split. I look forward to your reply, but please to not dally. With each passing moment the likelihood that others may lay claim to our stake increases.

Most Sincerely,

Commander Ocelot

P.S. I do not put much stock in superstitions, but I am a cautious man. I would recommend you bring along a pistol for your personal protection, although I fear we have to worry more about pirates than some silly curse.    

Ladies and Gentlemen the 3rd Annual BOB Bombers Murder Mystery is about to begin!!!!

Wheeeeeeee!

Er, I'm in.

For both the mission and the voyage of discovery.

---------------------------------

Mission Blessing and Homily

And Saints Ocelot and War-somebody raised the Holy hand grenades up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless these thy hand grenades, that with them thou mayst blow thine selected targets to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

"And the Lord did grin. And the Squadron did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large chu..."

Brother Blackhorse: "Skip a bit, Brothers..."

Ocelot and War-whomever: "And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenades of BoB towards thy target, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

And the Squadron, in their obedient wisdom, did so.

Thus endeth the Blessing of the October Halloween Bombing Mission post.

Amen.

October is the month that celebrates my birth, consider me in for both, and I will head to my secret lair that holds my arsenal and create a bomb of epic proportions.

What the hey, count me in for both unless my telescope won't stretch the distance for a long distance treasure hunt.

And the Fokker will be wheeled onto the runway again soon. Any sniggering from you lot will result with the Fokker taking a break this run and my long range trebuchet making an appearance. You don't want to know how many elephants are required for the counterweight. :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :)

Cheers all

Tim

I'm in on the regular run, but I'm admittedly befuddled about whatever the heck else is going on :scratch: Someone enlighten me.

Puff Daddy":0wbbn8xg said:
I'm in on the regular run, but I'm admittedly befuddled about whatever the heck else is going on :scratch:  Someone enlighten me.
Maybe the first part of the mystery is figuring out what's going on? (if so, I've also pretty much fallen at the starting gate)

DrT999":0jan758l said:
Puff Daddy":0jan758l said:
I'm in on the regular run, but I'm admittedly befuddled about whatever the heck else is going on :scratch:  Someone enlighten me.
Maybe the first part of the mystery is figuring out what's going on? (if so, I've also pretty much fallen at the starting gate)

There was a bit of confusion at the beginning last year. We started working on the mystery before it started. It will unfold with further clues and information from the command and make much sense in that timeline I believe.

I'm going to sidestep the special mission this year however. I had a cigar event just a little while ago. I have a pipe event tomorrow and with Elodie's first Halloween and the regular mission being the big Halloween bombing I don't want to get too mentally distracted this month. Me and wife and baby are needing more outings and play as Elodie is devolpoing into an active baby. Good luck to all the Brothers on this.

Count me in on the standard mission.

Count me in f

Annabel Lee, what memories that brings back.  ;)  
That's an old poem I'm surprised you knew Jesse.

In for both the bombing run and the adventure of course! Who doesn't like a good adventure!?

Ah, so.......

The game is afoot, eh, Watson?

"With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial."
Marcus Antonius

The ground shakes, drums... drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow lurks in the dark. We can not get out... they are coming. A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Count me in on both.......

Blackhorse":ce8blwmt said:
Whoa!  Doyle plus Shakespeare's Lord of the Rings!  Heavy!

So...does Gandalf do Julius Caesar, or what?

indeed...........