The Dark Side!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall the day when I had the "Boy, don't smoke that, you'll go blind" coversation like it was yesterday. Actually, it was not that many years ago. I also recall when I was a boy the aros my dad & Co. used to smoke, and when I catch a whiff it takes me back...waaaaay back to the summers in the back yard that PD mentions. The urge usually comes on when I smell one of my dad's pipes, which, no matter how many times I have had them refurbished, you can't scrub the aro aroma and taste from them, they have a certain comforting sweetness to them.

I have found that PW&W aros are like what I recall, and they are also not offensive to the pipe, though I only smoke them in my dad's old pipes. Grammercy Park, 191 and Rumcake are satisfying when the dark side calls, and are a sure crowd pleaser, something that can be smoked in mixed company and doesn't scare off the womenfolk; or that lets me go into the house to refill my drink without getting chased out. Most my males friends are cigar smokers and give me a sideways glance when I fire up an aro, but I explain that it is not like smoking a flavored stogie, which I would not do unless I had no other choice.

I may have to give Troutstream a try.

Another great post from PuffDaddy!

I like aromatics. I prefer VA and VAPERS and VAorientals and English/Balkan blends. But they have their place in my pipe smoking repertoire. I smoke aromatics around my wife and others who are non-smokers, usually with very favorable comments.

I've not really blended aros with other baccy's, but I will be soon.

I'm not a big fan of burley tobacco, generally speaking. The aros I enjoy most are: G&H's Rum Flake, Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew & Blue Note, and the offerings from Pipeworks and Wilke: 191, Vermont Maple, Rumcake for the holidays,& to a lesser extent - Mettowee & Gotham Court. I also enjoy Autumn Evening, usually in the Fall. Trout Stream is also enjoyed, just after those mentioned.

Less cased tobaccos (light aros?) that are certainly amended that I enjoy are PS's Luxury Twist Flake, especially with 2 or more years of age and Conniston Cut Plug.

Cheers,

TC

I love Trout Stream and PW&W #191. I tried a sampler from Carole of the Vermont Maple and it was terrific. I'm getting a pound with my next order of #191. I am also going to try a number of the others suggested on this thread.

I am mainly a Va. and Lakeland Flake smoker,but I have glass jars of the following
blends available when I want a sweet taste;Dan/CAO Blue Note,Sweet Vanilla
Honeydew,Milonga,Devil's Holiday.Iwan Ries 3 Star Blue.Solani Sweet Mystery,
G&H Sweet Black Cherry,Rum Flake.
It's quality leaf that counts and quality casing without preservatives.I agree that
these tobaccos are medium strength at best and could use a vitamin N boost that
wouldn't comprimise the flavor.
If you want to be noticed at a function, nothing except marijuana will draw more attention to
you than the aroma of 3 Star Blue.And you might get some action from the women
present since the room note makes them want to have your babies. :shock:

Winslow :sunny:

In my defective mind, I have always thought
of aromatics in the same vein as flavored cigars.
I haven't tried any aros and am unlikely to.
(unless you count University Flake - is it, or isn't it?)

A number of good PW&W suggestions, but no one mentioned Royal Guard (I think that's the name?). As I recall they use some portion of it in some of their other blends (again, the memory fails me). Straight it's a bit too sweet and "aromatic" for me, but it's one of my favorite mix with 1792 or VFV aromatics for when I'm in public.

Natch

Here's a selfish plug on my part but I just created a new blend with C&D called Gentleman Callers- It's a burley Virginia blend that uses Deertongue to address the issue of a nice smelling full bodied smoke. It seems to have been well recieved- Though it is a very different sort of Aromatic....But my wife likes it, and she doesn't like ANYTHING......

Natch":8gc8en37 said:
A number of good PW&W suggestions, but no one mentioned Royal Guard (I think that's the name?). As I recall they use some portion of it in some of their other blends (again, the memory fails me). Straight it's a bit too sweet and "aromatic" for me, but it's one of my favorite mix with 1792 or VFV aromatics for when I'm in public.

Natch
Royal Scot is it's official name .............. a rose by any other name ......... :cheers: