The eagle hunter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
It was mating season for bald eagles and a nesting pair chose a friends property down the road from where I live to nest. In keeping with my friends wishes only one photographer was allowed access to the property in order to prevent disturbing the mating couple more than traffic and eagle peepers would be doing.

I set up my tripod with my Nikon D3x and a Nikon 200mm f2.0 lens, nicknamed chubby, across the road on another road by town dock #1 where all the boat traffic ties up, day cruisers, fisherman and lobsterman plus a stop or two by the harbor master.

I spent 2 days a couple of times a day hoping to either get a changing of the guard at the nest or something worthy of this incredible bird.

I was finally rewarded on my sixth outing which ended up being the last chance I would be able to go for a few days and luckily I got the shot before they began some heavy burning that caused so much smoke to blow toward the nest the eagles abandoned it and moved further up river to get away from the smoke. I don’t know if they had a successful brooding but they are still around and hunt daily so it won’t be for several more months as spring gets here I may catch a glimpse of an immature eagle with them. Anyway here’s the eagle hunter and the shot of one of the eagles.
banjo

24807181047_f010125e37_z_d.jpg

24807178927_b6906d31a5_z_d.jpg

The shot ended up being chosen by the Flickr staff as one of the best shots in 2017 and entered into a contest, I ended up in the top 10% for the year.

That's a great picture Banjo! Not a bad camera either, and nice glass! I'm a Canon man myself, but I respect that Nikon... :cheers:

Wonderful picture Banjo! I'm always thrilled to see them in the wild like that!