The English Blend With Some Cherry Aromatic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Sunday, October 3, 20121
I decided that this experiment deserves its own thread.

9/26/2021​

After reading about various BoBs choices of cherry aromatics, I thought I might try creating an English blend with a touch of cherry. I'm debating with myself how much nicotiana rustica to add of the 4 oz. I purchased, and whether to add Cuban cigar leaf. I also reduced the percentage of latakia to 35%, but added 5% dark fired Kentucky.​

Cart ItemsItem #In StockPriceQtyTotal

Blending - Perique
3 oz 7.5%
BGO-TB-1000IN STOCK$4.46$13.38

Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia 507-S
5oz 12.5%
AE2-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1
5 oz 12.5%
AE1-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Sutliff Cherry Cavendish
5 oz 12.5%
ABG-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Blending - Latakia
14 oz 35%
BGM-TB-1000IN STOCK$3.52$49.28

Blending - Izmir Ribbon
2 oz 5%
BGK-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.44$4.88

Blending - Turkish Ribbon Cut
2 oz 5%
BG6-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.44$4.88

Blending - Smyrna
2 oz 5%
BGU-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.68$5.36

Blending - Dark Fired Kentucky Burley
2 oz 5%
BGH-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.68$5.36

Tobacco arrived yesterday, some very dry, some extremely wet. I decided not to add any Nicotiana rustica. It's all mixed and packed tightly in one large jar. No question, it does need to marry. The Sutliff cherry cavendish was absolutely drenched in a sticky cherry top dressing. Hopefully, once mixed and rested, that will dissipate. I was curious and filled the bowl of a cob. How much would the cherry influence a blend where in the past I'd used unflavored Green River cavendish. And would I notice the replacement of 2 oz. latakia with 2 oz. Kentucky Dark fired? My only first impression was that the tobacco was far too wet to successfully smoke. I could slightly detect the cherry, but at only 12.5% of the blend, I did not expect it to be anywhere near dominant. Today, I have about an ounce laid out on a cookie sheet to dry. Hopefully, later today it will be dry enough to smoke.

Last edited:
Today, I have about an ounce laid out on a cookie sheet to dry. Hopefully, later today it will be dry enough to smoke.
I did have the opportunity to smoke a couple of bowls and have no real first impression. There are nine components that absolutely need to spend some time together. While the cherry cavendish is only 12.5%, the mouth feel is a bit different than the blend with unflavored cavendish. It may be top dressing. Room note, I can't judge because I smoked outside

After smoking another bowl, I ordered two more ounces of latakia to add. The Kentucky dark fired substitution (2 oz.) doesn't work for me.

I've added the additional 2 oz. of latakia, but stupid ass me didn't calculate the percentages correctly and I should have added 4 oz. to get to about 40% latakia. I've dried about an ounce and smoked it without the additional latakia. I'm going to let the remaining 42 oz. rest for a month before making any judgments. So far, I am not thrilled with the result. The goop atop the Sutliff Cherry Cavendish is a tongue scorcher, even in the limited quantity I used.

I sympathize with your efforts. But why you decided to use the whole cabinet of 42 oz instead of trying small sample batches mystifies me. That’s above and beyond the horrifying prospect of mixing my two most hated tobaccos…Latakia and Cherry Cavendish…it just gives me the willies! Obviously Halloween is close at hand.

😵☠️. 😄

But why you decided to use the whole cabinet of 42 oz instead of trying small sample batches mystifies me.
giphy.gif

Actually, I thought replacing unflavored cavendish with cherry cavendish in the same proportion in a favored blend wouldn't make much difference. It did, to my taste. Now, I have to figure out what to add to make the cherry glop disappear.

Last edited:
....my two most hated tobaccos…Latakia and Cherry Cavendish…it just gives me the willies!
While I do think smoking a pipe tobacco devoid of latakia is akin to going commando in Minnesota in January, I've never been fond of cherry top dressing. The last time I smoked a cherry blend was probably 1965 and Middleton's Cherry Blend which torched my tongue. I was influenced into assembling this blend, by some naughty BoBs.

Blackhorse asked:
"But why you decided to use the whole cabinet of 42 oz instead of trying small sample batches mystifies me."

It kind of mystifies me, as well, but....much of my life mystifies me.

giphy.gif

Actually, I thought replacing unflavored cavendish with cherry cavendish in the same proportion in a favored blend wouldn't make much difference. It did, to my taste. Now, I have to figure out what to add to make the cherry glop disappear.
More latakia??

giphy.gif

More latakia??

Yes, 4 oz.more of Blending Latakia and 5 oz. of Blending Green River Black Cavendish.
In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Last edited:
Okay, so this is the final blend. As I posted above, I added 4 more oz. of Blending Latakia and 5 oz. of Blending Green River Cavendish. I've smoked two bowls and it's what I had hoped it would be when I began the blend. Now, it's been firmly pressed into a single large jar, all 51 oz. It has to marry and rest.

So, the question has answered itself. Yes, I'm pleased that I made this blend in the quantity that I did. I don't know if it would have been possible to determine the ultimate outcome by adding a pinch of this and a thimble of that. I've invested about $135.00 for 51 oz. It comes out to about $2.65 oz.which I think is quite a value for I blend I really enjoy.
giphy.gif

Saturday morning and I just smoked another bowl. I did retain about 1/2 oz. outside of the huge glass jar that I packed the rest. The cherry essence is sufficiently faint that you probably wouldn't know it's there. Room note is strictly that of latakia dominant English blend. The point of the blend was to create a slightly aromatic English blend with a touch of cherry. To that end, this was a failure. The cherry cavendish burned hot and presented an uncomfortable mouth feel. By adding an additional 6 oz. of latakia and 5 oz. of Green River cavendish, the cherry seems to have disappeared and I have a fine English blend.

Last edited:
Excellent…congrats!
Thank you. I really hoped that after the last addition I'd have a palatable blend, but was fully prepared to bag it up and drop it off at a transient tent encampment. This is very similar to the jar I used, available at Walmart for $12.94. The jar I used has a larger opening on top, purchased at Goodwill for $4.00.
ded328eb-68cf-4b7c-a0f5-67c3d6a00c9a_1.cedb909bc6e217c53fe744fc8f018285.jpeg

Last edited:
I've now smoked several bowls and we're coming on a month since first assembly. With the Sutliff Cherry Cavendish reduced to about 10% of the blend, to my taste, it's pretty much disappeared. I basically have replicated a blend I'd previously assembled sans cherry. I would guess that by New Year's, when I tap the glass jar where it's been pressed, I'll know whether there's any remaining cherry essence. I'd like a hint, but no more than that.