The Expanse. Is it the best?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Long a fan of author James S.A. Corey’s 4 book series “The Expanse” (note link below) as a true modern classic...I recently stumbled on the series. The first two seasons were produced by the SciFi channel. It was then dropped but picked up by Amazon Prime for two more seasons...the forth season should be available mid 2019.

The series is an adaption, based on the books. It is absolutely the best SciFi Space Ooera that I’ve ever seen, anywhere. Better than Star Wars? Yes! Better than Star Trak? Yes! Great deep and immersive story (thanks to Corey), great adaption, plus casting and acting are uniformly excellent. But for me the real stand out is the production...the special effects (a big part of the story) and better than Serenity, better than Star Trek, better than Star Wars (IMHO).

Here’s a link to three of the books. There is a fourth.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Expanse-Collection-Books-1-3/dp/B014KWUBXE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537453320&sr=8-3&keywords=james+sa+corey

If you have Amazon Prime then you likely also have the Prime Video thing that goes with it.  Look for the first two seasons (the ones done by SciFi Channel) there...for free. The third season is there also...for $2.99 per episode.

I cannot express how excellent this series is. Spectacular. Amazing. Yadda yadda yadda.

I bailed on SF as a teenager, to such an extent that I, seriously, have never seen Stars Wars, for example. Too much fantasy, a genre I'm also not interested in. I do have a warm spot in my memory of long ago for the likes of Robert Heinlein, or Fredric Brown, but that's about it. Do these tales have reality as a reference point, or are they "out there," as far as things like physics and a recognizable world go? Nothing wrong with being "out there," of course--it's just that I don't belong there. Yes, I'm an unimaginative prick.

Pretty much to see if you or anyone defends the series on the grounds suggested by my mention of Heinlein or Brown and the rest of what I said. I have been reading the Amazon reviews, and they often cite a reasonable world as a setting, even for someone of my stripe. This could be interesting. But never mind; I either will or will not read them. Doesn't matter. I've always been curious about people's enthusiasms, especially when they differ from my own--and especially in literature. Or art in general. It's kind of a "what the hell?" thing?

I've watched as much of the tv adaptation as has been released on Netflix so far. IIRC it seems like the second (and third?) season takes a radical departure from the first season. Almost like separate stories. The main characters are almost completely different at this point. Just an observation .

MisterE":ux59ezsd said:
I've watched as much of the tv adaptation as has been released on Netflix so far. IIRC it seems like the second (and third?) season takes a radical departure from the first season. Almost like separate stories. The main characters are almost completely different at this point. Just an observation .

You should go through the James S.A. Corey books. They are SO much deeper than the TV episodes.

PS: Season 1 & 2 are SciFi Network productions...Season 3 and the upcoming Season 4 (due in March 2019) are done by Amazon Prime. The first two seasons are free with Amazon Prime membership. Season 3 costs $3 each or $30 for the entire 13 episodes.

I passed on Season 3 so far. Plenty of free stuff out there. Currently watching a Russian (I think);production with English subtitles called “Detective Anna”. A very enjoyable series taking place circa 1880 in which a girl with the psychic ability to see ghosts helps the local police solve crimes. It is charming...beautifully produced...very, very well acted.

Then there’s “Shetland”. The British police procedural that takes place on the island of Shetland... stories and acting are good but the real stars here are the cinematography and musical score. If one appreciates such things this should not be missed.

Then there’s “Hinterland” which is the same sort of thing as above...police homicide detective way out in the middle of nowhere. This time Wales. One really amusing thing is when the cute girl assistant detective does lines that literally cannot be understood...the accent is that strong...and they do English subtitles. Classic.

Thank goodness for my iPad.

I'm a huge fan of the show, but have never read the books!

It's actually three seasons on the SyFy, well, that's how I watched them to this point. I didn't know it has been cancelled. I have a 7.1 surround system but rarely turn it on (mostly lazy). But with that show, I always use the audio receiver, in HD and good sound, it is terrific visually and in audio effects.

The storyline and characters really grabbed me. I thought all three seasons fit well together.

To this point, by my experience, the new Battlestar Galactica was the gold standard for Sci-Fi, but The Expanse is it's equal, at least through three seasons.

I am going to expand on this later because right no I may on a micro iPad. My fingers don’t work too well on it.

But the underlining premise is: SPACE SUCKS, don’t do it!

Season 4 is supposed to be out on Amazon by the end of 2019. Hopefully in the Fall, I have no time for tv in the summer (well, F1)

Better than Star Trek you say? Hmm well now I'm intrigued. I think I've watched the first episode but ended up switching to something else, will have to give it another shot

The Expanse is better than THIS Trek. But definitely not ALL Trek.

Star Trek is the closest I come to organized religion. And the flag of the United Federation of Planets is the only flag that has ever flown over my home.

I'm still rooting for the stars of the Solar Federation.

220px-Rush_2112.jpg

Valdus":t9l2vio8 said:
The Expanse is better than THIS Trek. But definitely not ALL Trek.

Star Trek is the closest I come to organized religion. And the flag of the United Federation of Planets is the only flag that has ever flown over my home.
Which one is THIS Star Trek?

Going to try and download The Expanse tonight if I can get my VPN working, apparently Amazon doesn't want anyone outside of the developed world watching their shows

The ST ON CBS All Access, which I consider a douchy move. Streams freely around the world on Netflix but not in North America.

Good thing I watch it on the high seas!