The first bowl of royal yacht.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggman

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I received a tin of royal yacht last January in the bombing run. Then I picked up another tin in December. I've heard for years it was a love it or hate it blend. A dead mouse in a can is how a friend here described it to me. So I was hesitant ever to get any. 

I popped open a tin a little bit ago. The aroma coming from the can was excellent, where the hell was the dead mouse! I can tell you it wasn't in mine. I loaded up an older comoys straight billard and away I went. 

It's a very nice Virginia tobacco. Didn't burn hot with no tongue bite. It also left a great taste in the mouth even 30 minutes later. It had a decent nic hit but not overpowering. The flavors for me were the same from beginning to the bottom of the bowl. 

I will definitely be smoking more of this blend. I'm not sure if its an all-day smoke, but time will tell.

Pretty sure that the “dead mouse” thing actually refers to a Sam Gawith blend...Grousemoor.  Certainly one of the more pungent descriptives applied to any Lakeland product.

I’ve always found Royal Yacht to be a very agreeable blend.  I once used it to determine how many average bowls there were in a standard tin...came up with 18 bowls.  This was then applied to a cost analysis (if a tin cost $10 then it was about $ 0.55 per bowl).  Then this figure was help up against other forms of smoking...like cigars...to show how downright cheap even the finest pipe tobacco was.  Well, whatever.

Anyway, pretty sure it’s Grousemoor.  But it’s so negatively descriptive that a pipe guy might apply it to any blend to smear its otherwise upstanding reputation.  :x

Older 1792 Flake was the dreaded "Dead Mouse in a Tin." I love that stuff. Think, 1950's style fridge with that pan of lukewarm water baking in the heat from the compressor. And a mouse that died laying half in the water. And y'all been gone for about three days. You open the door to the kitchen..........it slaps ya' like a shovel. It's so pungent.....you can taste it in the air. :D

To the matter at hand. Royal Yacht. I really got into that stuff for a time. Stout shag-cut blend. Flavored like it has had champagne poured on it. Or maybe that's what I had read about it. It is oddly flavored. Not something a newer smoker likes usually.

Carlos":rsj9mhws said:
Older 1792 Flake was the dreaded "Dead Mouse in a Tin."  I love that stuff.  Think, 1950's style fridge with that pan of lukewarm water baking in the heat from the compressor.  And a mouse that died laying half in the water.  And y'all been gone for about three days.  You open the door to the kitchen..........it slaps ya' like a shovel.  It's so pungent.....you can taste it in the air.  :D
Now that is description! I can actually almost smell it just reading it lol.

I have yet to try Royal Yacht, might stop by the tobacco shop (if the Corona hasn't closed it yet) and see if they have any.

Some call it "Royal Yuck" but I find it very nice. Smoked through several tins initially and then burned out on it. Time to open a fresh one.

Cheers,

RR

I think RY has one of the biggest nicotine wallops out there. It is definitely not a blend to start out with. :drunken:

I think Carlos is right about Dead-Mouse-in-a-Tin being SG 1792. That stuff simply reeks. Tastes great though.

You only know the state of the mouse once the tin is opened, though. If it is alive you havent aged it enough. If it is dead you're in business. Schrodinger's Mouse would be a better way to describe it.