The future of pipe smoking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
We started something this year that I have to share here. It may well become a regular part of our holiday tradition. My smarter half and I hosted a holiday dinner for our kids - 18 and 21 - and a few of their friends the other night. My son and at least one of the other guys had been asking questions about my pipes and tobacco. I went out to a local B&M that afternoon and got a handful of cobs and passed them out to the guys as we had coffee and desert. I had been gifted a tin of Sutliff Barbados Plantation by a nephew and opened it and passed it around. It is not a smoke I would choose as a regular but it is mild with an at least pleasant room note. All smoked their bowls down to ash and made sure they took their new Missouri Meerschaums home with them. No complaints from the ladies and all seemed to enjoy.

Happy New Year to all!

Very cool, such a generous gesture, can't help thinking a handful of basket pipes might have made a more lasting impression to the lads, nothing wrong with cob's of course, still very kind of you. :heart:

Opinion : a first-time out cob would likely smoke & taste better than a modern basket pipe, & be way cheaper to boot. They can follow up if they like -- on their dime (shilling ? Do they still have those ?)

:face:

Nice tradition and a great idea!
Would that make you a "Pusher" (Steppenwolf playing in the background).

Yeah, that sounds like a really nice tradition clueless, well thought of by your other half and well executed by you :)

This coming saturday I am hosting pipe night 2 other guys I know and my youngest son (22) are going to smoke and play guitar and sip some burbon, I have a couple friends non-smokers who are coming and I was going to pick up a few cobs if some one wanted to try their 1st pipe, but my B&M was wiped out of cobs from Christmas!

Pipe smoking has gone viral.

Fact.

Makes it tough for guys new to it.

Too many dollars chasing too few estates worth chasing.

...on the other hand, if newbies picking up a pipe on a whim quit just as quickly, better chances of something popping up at the junk stores...(I only hope)...

8)

Not in my world. :lol: I can't afford eBay any more. I can still roll oldschool, though.

8)

Sounds like a great night. Unfortunately, having been the one to move away, I spend the holidays visiting friends and relatives so there isn't much smoking time for me. I was able to sneak outside for a Christmas Eve smoke when I was at my MIL's house is suburban NYC, but with 3.5' of snow in Syracuse there was no smoking over the New Years Eve weekend. And god forbid I attempt to recruit anyone to smoke with me...I would be stoned.

Yak":62yng6h2 said:
Pipe smoking has gone viral.
Fact.
Makes it tough for guys new to it.
Too many dollars chasing too few estates worth chasing.

True, but the "new guys" tend to come from one of the few population groups left with a modicum of disposable income. Many (most?) are college students, or recent grads with moderately well paying jobs, no kids, no mortgage, etc yet. Most can afford the $50-75 and wouldn't really be interested in a "used" pipe.

I give thanks to my nonexistent children every time I can afford something, that's for sure. :lol:

8)

Yep. Young, single guys, and halfway well-off older/retired guys (kids gone) can afford stuff that the monkeys in the middle can't.

Seems like it's always been that way, only more so today. (The US standard of living in my lifetime has taken a royal sht).

Guys on the sly are certainly not in that roll call. Most of them have the worst cases of my-life-owns-me-I-don't-own-my-life on the face of the planet. However, done reasonably between sensible parties, it can be quite a decent financial advantage...obviously not an option for all, but as for working with what one has...

...trying to find that workaround/hedge on the lifestyle sh*t-taking has been tough, but I see a few avenues of possibility--it just wouldn't suit most folks, and that's part of the joy. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

8)