The Gilded Age (TV)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Being a big fan of nearly everything Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey, Gosford Park), I was excited to try this one out. I don't have HBO, but it is a free week. So, just one episode in, my impressions shouldn't be taken with too much consideration. They mimicked the fast energy of the Downton Abbey pilot. I'm not crazy about the casting. Christine Baranski still sounds just like her character on The Good Wife, and I'm not much of a fan of her voice. Carrie Coon's voice isn't much better. A lot of recognizable faces, which I think is a mistake. I'm still jazzed to watch more, but feels more like the pop version of Downton Abbey than something as authentic and detailed as I'd hoped.

While I enjoy the show, I agree with you concerning Christine Baranski! I never watched "The Good Wife," however every time she speaks all I hear is her character on "Big Bang Theory!!" While I do recognize a few of the characters (the two sisters, plus Jean Tripplehorn and Kelly O'Hara, the Russell son [from Poldark] and, of course...Nathan Lane as a Southerner in Old New York), the others I either don't recognize or only seen them briefly in other shows. FWIW...FTRPLT

Three episodes in, and I like it. I don't love it, but I like it. I would half-assedly recommend it. At the same time, I feel like an idiot.