The Glenlivet Enigma @ 96 Proof

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
My favorite liquor store, butchershop, and Italian grocery Morelli's Market has quite the special today, for its Monday Madness promotion, The Glenlivet Enigma.

I searched for it at several local locations and the price far exceeds $109.99 at the few locals that carry it. On line the lowest price I found was $93.99 plus shipping. The reviews vary from very affirmative to meh. It's a one day sale, so I didn't want any regrets and ordered two bottles.
I'm really surprised. The sale runs Monday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. Usually by 9:00 am, great values like this are long gone. As I'm writing it's 4:00 pm and there's still 107 of 180 bottles available. My guess is that Morelli's customers are at their lake cabins and the announcement that Morelli's would be closed today indicated to many folks that there would be no Monday Madness special. All the surplus inventory of these specials usually goes on a closeout rack at the store for a slightly higher price than the Monday special.

Last edited:
Oh jeez! For a half second when I first noticed this I thought it read “enema” instead of “enigma”. Ouch.
Instead of having it "neat" you'd have it Fleet. Enema vs. Enigma, maybe that's why sales are slow. No one wants to admit being full of ****.
1622495510073.jpeg

giphy.gif

Tuesday, 4:00 pm. Apparently, the folks at Morelli's figured out that customers thought because of the holiday, there wouldn't be a Monday Madness, so they kept the ordering window open today.
4:00 pm, 24 bottles of Glenlivet Enigma remaining.

Shortly after Morelli's opened this morning, I picked up the two bottles I ordered. The young female cashier asked me what was so special about this liquor. I said I really didn't know, as I'd never tasted it, but the price was less than half of any other liquor store. She said that when the store opened, a customer was waiting at the door to pick up his 24 bottles.
I'm sure another shop must have been stocking up. In MN, that's illegal. All liquor purchased for on or off sale must be purchased through a distributor. Morelli's rarely imposes a limit and there was none on the Enigma.
I'm not going to open a bottle until I can throw a party where everyone can feel comfortable sans mask.

Last edited:
The variety of available Single Malts available today still bogles my mind!! Same with Irish Whiskey!! I do love'em both!!!!!! FTRPLT

I lied; couldn't wait for a party and opened a bottle of Enigma. I made a terrible mistake....by not buying a case.(6 bottles) If you enjoy a scotch without peat and smoke, you'll truly enjoy this Speyside. I like scotch from Speyside to Islay; from no smoke to smokey Talisker Storm. The Enigma is 60.6% alcohol by volume, but it is very smooth. I dropped by Morelli's this morning to see if there were any remaining bottles at the 39.99 price, but no luck. I was mistaken when I posted that it is only 96 proof. It's 121.2 proof.

Last edited: