The Golden Age - Smoking Not Allowed...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwentyNine

Reaction score
I suppose the 1960’s/1970’s was the “golden age” of pipe smoking (some may disagree with this). For those old enough to remember, were there any places that you were not allowed to smoke and/or were considered impolite to smoke? Obviously, during a church service, etc.

I don't know about it being the "golden age," but as I remember there were no restrictions on smoking anywhere. Grocery stores seemed to always have the scent of cigar mixing with that of fruit and vegetables in my memory, often emanating from the meat cutter out back if not from a customer. As a child, my dentist used to work on me with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. People who objected were a rare breed; I can't even remember any. It all went to hell when restaurants and airplanes banned pipes and cigars, sometime in the late 70s, as I remember. To the extent of my knowledge, it was done voluntarily, often with the connivance and snickering of cigarette smokers, another reason to hate the silly bastards.

Ah yes, when we were treated as adults. Those were some heady years, back before deregulation of the airlines...you could travel in style...and did.

Yes, I agree that the golden age of pipe smoking is long gone. But good pipe smoking can still be had. Today, is more of a golden age of pipe collecting and of pipe information, due to the internet.

I don't recall ever smoking in stores (or in class, until grad school when it was encouraged by a pipe smoker and a chain smoker in their seminars so they didn't feel bad about lighting up), and in college, while I was forbidden by roommates and people on the floor to smoke cigars inside, no one ever complained about my pipes in the dorms or in the lounges in the classroom buildings.

I remember smoking in McDonalds as a teenager but then again it was usually a parliament menthol light due to the fact I never thought about smoking a pipe until I turned 18 ish.
I know it sucks not being able to smoke in public places, but then again I don't think I would light up my pipe in a restaurant or a plane but it does really piss me off that I cant smoke in public places that are outside.

I remember being able to smoke virtually anywhere Except in the movie theater and out of courtesy never in a elevator.

Back in the late 60's I was teaching private guitar lessons in a music store in the Mil, WI 'burbs and smoking was common amongst the various instructors in and out of their studios, as well as the main sales floor. And the sales staff also smoked, but they restricted their puffing to a back room rather than the sales area.

Of course that was all about ciggies. I didn't smoke 'baccy back then in any form.

Last time I can remember smoking being allowed on an airplane was in '94 on a transcontinental flight. The smokers were restricted to around the last 5 rows in the back of the plane.

So when one had to use the head in the very back, entering this area was like going through a forest fire such was the volume of smoke! The airflow pretty much directed it to the back of the plane where the toilets were, as well as the stewards area.

Frankly I always hated the smell of ciggies (still do), so traversing this area of the plane was like anathema to me!

:x 

Cheers,

RR

I'm too young to remember with any certainty, but I seem to recall the public library being non-smoking in the early '70s. This was at a time when the county court house still had built-in art deco iron ashtrays in every hall. I also remember nurses in the hospital smoking at their station, back when they still wore the whites. (My grandmother was a nurse.)

Way too young for that time period, but there was always a rumor around Asbury Theological Seminary about a professor who smoked a pipe in his office until he retired in 2001, which was a huge no-no. Before that though, it is common knowledge that smoking was allowed, perhaps encouraged, throughout most college campuses. Oh man, what I would have gave to be have been able to smoke my pipe in my room and dorm lounges...heck, even on campus would have been nice. I had to walk off of campus just to enjoy a bowl or two.

Started back to school at University when I got back from 'Nam in '70 and though you could smoke outside all over campus there was NO SMOKING in the classrooms and in dorm rooms either. They had smoking areas in the dorms but not in the eating areas of the dorms. Most restaraunts and bars allowed smoking but you couldn't smoke in most stores or building elevators and depending on what rules firms had, many offices were non smoking as well. Though it was not as publicly restricted as much of today's city's are, it was not some kind of SMOKE ANYWHERE world many folks seem to think it was. There were more pipe smokers around for sure, but not many were younger than around their mid to late 40's and up. Most younger folks who smoked were cig. smokers and many of my friends my age then, early 20's, thought I was weird smoking a pipe which they considered something "old men" did. It was different then, but I wouldn't call it a "Golden Age" just different.  :twisted: :twisted:

I'm relatively new to all of this still. Haven't even been smoking my pipes for a year yet and it still amazes and astounds me that you can't smoke outside in many places. Outside! Who's brilliant idea was that?

Good question from 29. I am 65 years old and owned part of and operated a Tinder Box Pipe and Tobacco shop from 1974 through 1984 and one of the really satisfying and fun things about the store was that customers could come in, sit around with a pipeful of their favorite blend and "shoot the breeze" with our employees. It really added to the ambiance of the place and very very very few people ever objected. As a matter of fact many non smokers would come in just to bathe themselves in the aromas of great pipe tobacco. As was mentioned in another comment it was a time when people were expected, and usually did, act in a responsible manner so there were virtually no laws about where you could or could not smoke. I hope we have not lost that ability to make wise decisions on these matters but sometimes, given the apparent determination of some to control every aspect of free choice, I have my doubts. Anyway, do not lament the passing of things that were, just make the most of your days as a pipe smoker and enjoy when and where it is allowed by Big Brother.

Good question from 29. I am 65 years old and owned part of and operated a Tinder Box Pipe and Tobacco shop from 1974 through 1984 and one of the really satisfying and fun things about the store was that customers could come in, sit around with a pipeful of their favorite blend and "shoot the breeze" with our employees. It really added to the ambiance of the place and very very very few people ever objected. As a matter of fact many non smokers would come in just to bathe themselves in the aromas of great pipe tobacco. As was mentioned in another comment it was a time when people were expected, and usually did, act in a responsible manner so there were virtually no laws about where you could or could not smoke. I hope we have not lost that ability to make wise decisions on these matters but sometimes, given the apparent determination of some to control every aspect of free choice, I have my doubts. Anyway, do not lament the passing of things that were, just make the most of your days as a pipe smoker and enjoy when and where it is allowed by Big Brother.

Good question by 29 although I am afraid the answer is rather depressing. I am 65 years old and owned and operated a Tinderbox pipe and tobacco shop from 1974 to 1984 and yes, it was indeed one of the golden ages of pipe smoking simply because with very few exceptions, you could light up your pipe anywhere and were usually only restricted by your own sense of responsibility. Indeed one of the pleasant and fun aspects of the traditional tobacco shop, such as ours, was that customers could come in, fill their pipe, light up and "shoot the breeze" with each other and our staff. In fact often times non-smokers would come in just to bathe themselves in the wonderfully aromas of fine pipe tobacco. It is unfortunate that these days the powers that be apparently no longer have much faith in personal responsibility as a guide as to where one can smoke but that seems to be the case in many aspects of life in the 21st century. However do not lament the loss of that world. Just smoke your pipe when and where you are allowed by Big Brother, keep calm and carry on.

Out with a bike club (human powered) we breakfasted on the patio at a golf club. Someone was smoking a cigarette nearby and one woman began covering her mouth with a napkin. The wind blew the smoke mostly away but she appeared to be in fear of smelling even just a whiff. This is becoming a common overreaction with tobacco smoke being seen as instant death with just one puff. A shame that we have infused out society with this notion that tobacco, more than diesel exhaust or campfires is so deadly. And our pipes and cigars rate the same as cigarettes in their death dealing abilities.

We are losing touch with reality. Like the phrase "zero tolerance" we have lost all perspective.

It is part of a larger movement to "properly socialize" us, much like the Marxists drive to indoctrinate society to function as one unified much loved government, even when it means shipping all dissenters to gulags and retaining camps.

Oldbear