The Great Best of the Best of the Best Aromatic Project

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you order more of the Person's blend in the next couple of months and want it included in this event by all means send me an ounce. At this point, after several hundred dollars worth of weed, I'm tapped out. Thanks for your suggestion.

Blackhorse":6o7fp390 said:
If you order more of the Parson's Blend in the next couple of months and want it included in this event by all means send me an ounce. At this point, after several hundred dollars worth of weed, I'm tapped out. Thanks for your suggestion.
Will do. I'm sure I'll be ordering more before the month is out.

Arrrr. Be a tobacco pirate, sez I.

Really though, never heard of that B&M before. It sounds like that blends is really done right there, not a Lane or C&D item. Glad to learn of the pkace as online ordering looks easy.

Blackhorse":efknccqm said:
Arrrr. Be a tobacco pirate, sez I.

Really though, never heard of that B&M before. It sounds like that blends is really done right there, not a Lane or C&D item. Glad to learn of the pkace as online ordering looks easy.
Yea, I just happened up on them about a month ago. But you're right, they do their own blending. They have some really nice sounding blends.

Life is short. Ordered the following 2 oz bags:

Cherokee (Virginias and Steamed Cavendish)

Parson's Blend (Fruit and Burley)

Rivendell (Nutty, Woodsy, Cocoa)

That should give a good cross spectrum of flavors.

Blackhorse":fkimt2v2 said:
Life is short. Ordered the following 2 oz bags:

Cherokee (Virginias and Steamed Cavendish)

Parson's Blend (Fruit and Burley)

Rivendell (Nutty, Woodsy, Cocoa)

That should give a good cross spectrum of flavors.
:cheers:  Sound like good choices. I'm also very interested in trying their Pirate's Alley which is a new VaPer blend, (non-aro, of course)...

After hearing you two chat about this company I checked out their website. While not an aro and there for not appropriate for this great experiment, I must say the Faulkner Flake has me intrigued.

Blackhorse":wg02g5h4 said:
Via what? There wasn't much description there about it.
True, that's why I'm intrigued and not excited. I know just enough to wonder endlessly.

juanmedusa":iwjiz3g0 said:
Blackhorse":iwjiz3g0 said:
Via what? There wasn't much description there about it.
True, that's why I'm intrigued and not excited. I know just enough to wonder endlessly.
It's a flake tobacco from a Mississippi tobacconist, it's named after William Faulkner. Would a Mississippi tobacconist name a flake tobacco after their famous local author if it was bad??? :face: ;)

And today...drum roll...we have another blend from Milan up for review...

Doctor's Orders! Described by Milan as "...a great all day smoke comprised of golden Virginias, Burleys, and toasted Cavendish. Offering delicate subtleties of white chocolate and sweet cream, a mild to moderate sweetness on the finish, and pleasant room note..."

The single review on the review site says: Very good smoke all around. Very mild and pleasant with an excellent finish. Makes you want to smell your mustache all day! This one will be on my favorites list from now on!

My comment? Comes slightly moist. Packs and lights and burns down the bowl with ease. Very mild aroma in the bag. Very mild flavors on lighting. White chocolate and cream? Could be. I did get that very slightly later in the bowl but not so much early on. First half light creamy tobacco. Second half more white chocolate by a smidge. All in all a mild smoke...no warts on this toad though, very nice and pleasant from start to finish. Flavors present all through the smoke with tobacco notes more as it goes on. I could get to really like these Milan blends. Think I'll try another!

And here we are right before lunch with an Evening Stroll by Milan.

From the folks at Milan..."a mixture of light and dark Virginia and Green River tobaccos topped with a subtle vanilla flavor."

Comments from the review site:

"This is a wonderful weed all around. The pouch opening is a wonderful experience. Just a wonderful mild aroma of a light sweet chocolate. Slightly damp, so a little drying may be in order. This is a ribbon cut with brown, yellow and black specks of tobacco. I did not dry it out due to the fact I just simply could not wait to taste it. Although I did have trouble keeping it lit...I really enjoyed the taste and bouquet on the end of the nasal exhale. You Get a firm tobacco flavor infusion that is clean and peppery, kind of like the way horseradish reacts. You get a blast and a quick dissipation. All the time a mild chocolaty flavor is in the taste and aroma. I used a Peterson Kildare 999 and despite the many relights the bowl stayed cool. I do get a little peppery tongue taste which I suspect a bit of drying would cure. Produces a good dense white smoke with very pleasant aroma."

"A very pleasant scent and flavor, and the smell from the pouch is so intoxicating it makes you want to carry it around in your front pocket so you can sniff it all day. The tobacco produces a nice, thick smoke that leaves a pleasant room note. I quite enjoy this smoke and highly recommend it to anyone who likes aromatic blends."

My thoughts? Slightly stronger flavors and overall presence than the Doctor's blend. This might be a difference in the casing or the VA to Burley difference.  I'm getting a little feeling for these Aros now and realizing there is a big ol' red line right down the middle of the bowl. A first half vs second half experience. So far the first half has been about the burning of the cased offerings...then these kind of cook off leaving the tobacco experience...if it's there. And these Milan blends have it in spades. In some blends a flavor will last down the bowl til the end. The Milan blends have done that as well, an added dimension, and one I appreciate. I do get a mild cocoa flavor with this one...against the Burley it's very nice. Also, this one provides those thick billows of smoke most of us find enjoyable. And ultimately the end game here is quite a bit stronger re the base tobacco flavors.

Given that I'm only smoking each blend once, in one pipe, it's unfair to judge them against each other overall. There will be significant differences derived from this or that bowl shape, Brian vs cob, etc. All three have been excellent in their own slightly different ways.

On a roll baby! Another one from Milan. This one is another popular blend in their lineup...Wallstreet.

Milan sez..."A mild Burley blend with a mixture of Virginias and aged maduro Cavendish. Subtle notes of chocolate covered hazelnuts and a hint of creme make for a sweet finish."

Comments from the review site...

"An outstanding, distinct and hauntingly "familiar" aromatic blend! Burns cool with tons of dense, smooth smoke, down to a fine white ash. High quality tobaccos throughout. Not at all overly sweet or heavy, and will not goop your pipe. The tasty chocolate hazelnut and delicate buttercreme casings combine to make a sort of nougat flavor and aroma that is both unique and delectable. Even more amusing, the tiniest dash of cigar leaf in the mix brings me back to the smell of bank lobbies and high end office buildings of the 1950's where the fragrance of various aromatic pipe tobaccos once mixed freely with the occasional cigar, and created a most memorable, harmonious, and entirely random bouquet. This bouquet. This blend is quite aptly dubbed "Wall Street". Highly recommended."

"Hauntingly familiar indeed! The taste of Wall Street vaguely rings a bell in my mind but the actual memory is just too hazy. What is clear is that this is an absolutely enjoyable smoke, particularly the slight cigarish taste and aroma mixed into the hazelnut cream... how unique it is. And I don't even care so much for the taste of cigars, but it just works really well here. Will definitely be getting ahold of more, Wall Street is well on it's way to becoming my favorite aromatic. Very highly recommended."

For me the great benefit here is that the base tobacco flavors are not totally masked but enhanced by the added aromatics...in this case what I notice most is the dark chocolate hints against the cigar leaf. A complaint from non-aro smokers is typically that cheap casings are covering up the real tobacco flavors. Hmmm. Well, given that ALL tobacco is treated with flavoring agents at one or more times in their processing it really depends on how good the aromatic agents are and how good the base tobacco are. Here, as with the other Milan blends I've been trying, the quality of both is extreme. The tobaccos used seem top tier and the flavorings and scents are applied with a restrained and knowing hand. The results are blends that anyone would enjoy, given the opportunity. This smokes pretty cool and very dry...good. I continue to pick up those Cigar notes all the way down the bowl...good. There is no bite...good. The room note, as much as anyone on the business of the pipe can tell, is excellent...good. Hey! It's all good.

A further general comment: This little experience is opening my eyes to a class of pipe blends I admit that I snubbed before. It's turning out that the world of quality aromatic blends holds rewards, uniqueness and subtleties equivalent to any other genre if approached with a willing and thoughtful attitude. The operative term there is 'quality'. In the above case, Milan blends have that in spades.