The Great Best of the Best of the Best Aromatic Project

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like great stuff. Btw, the packaging is beautiful in its simplicity.

Today I opened a pouch of Peretti's " Boston's Best Cavendish ".

First blend here that resulted in a ho hum, meh experience for me...smoked in a trustworthy Peterson uber fine Rosslare Classic blasted black and amber apple.

Mechanics (packing, lighting, tamping, burn down the bowl) were fine.

Manners (heat & bite):were fine.

Started nutty and very mild...then went merely mild...in all respects...for the duration. No significant goodness, no badness, no real anything. Maybe this defines the 'Cavendish experience'... don't really know. First Peretti I've ever had that was boring.

_________

In order to verify that I had indeed smoked SOMETHING, I stuffed my Sherlock-n-Watson CAO Meer with Peretti's Thanksgiving Day. Bada Boom! Now THAT'S a smoke!

_________

Next time I think about doing the Cavendish thing...I'll take a nap instead.

Well boys and girls, it's Fall. The frost is on the pumpkin, Trick-or-Treating is done and Turkey Day is soon to be upon us. What better blend to stuff into a cob than Russ Oulette's Candy Corn? One place says it's VA and Cavendish, another says Burley is the prime. Whatever. It has a vanilla flavoring that lasts about half a bowl. I'd smoke this after the stuffing but not after the pie. Anyone that has trouble keeping this one going needs new matches as it combusts eagerly producing a nice thick smoke. Not hot, no bite. Burns fairly slowly. No problems, but since half of every other Aro blend out there is vanilla this one is is trying to make a name for itself in a tough crowd. In it's favor it has no issues...against it it's nothing much special. But when you're spending your hard earned on something...having it be dependable and cause no problem can be very worthwhile.

Boston's Best Cav, IMHO opinion belongs in a cob. I find that it loses some of its subtleties in a briar pipe. For a mild blend, I dig it.

I recently discovered Peretti Blend DD. It's as good as it sounds.. :p Good burley flavor and a nice floral flavor. Reminiscent of Thanksgiving Day but more florals..

Today...the classic McClelland Fragrant Matured Cake.

Manufacturer's notes: This is a really distinctive tobacco that will enable you to satisfy and upgrade many aromatic smokers who have been sacraficing cleaness of burning to obtain a sweet aroma.

Drums and Beer, whose tastes I've found nearly identical to mine, says...

"Fragrant Matured Cake is one that I have been enjoying quite a bit. The flavor has a delicate vanilla, coconut and clove taste and the smoke is somewhat sweet. At a slow sip it's gentle and creamy, when puffed more aggressively there's a touch of spice and a tasty bittersweet edginess tingles the senses. It's just as sweet as most quality aromatics only with more tobacco flavor and without any bite or chemical like off-flavors. Like most McClelland broken flakes it comes overly moist, firmly pressed and requires a thorough rubbing out and a good amount of dry time. All of this of course is well worth the effort. From top to bottom, this is a very enjoyable tobacco with a delicate flavoring that perfectly enhances with the naturally-sweet Virginia. Fragrant Matured Cake produces a pleasant room note that my wife continually compliments. An outstanding bulk blend that seems to only get better with age and it's also a great value."

My experience in the Cobbit Elf...(rapidly becoming one of my favorite pipes)...

Ahhh. A standard form McClelland broken VA Flake...Dark and rich...easy to work...good manners...edging up on the Brit fragrant flakes likely without intending to. Proof that an American maker can produce a lively stinky Flake of the highest quality and most delightful scenting. As I do with my beloved No. 7 Broken Flake or Glengarry, I took a nice pinch of the stuff and inserted it lightly into the bowl of my MM Cobbit Elf tamper it to fit, then topped it with some well rubbed to ease the lighting. Mine was not delivered damp and easily took a flame from my favorite...a silver Pearl Eddie...the world's only truly flawless lighter. This blend is nirvana in a bowl. Truly fine. It's what an aromatic tobacco blend should be...has it all. Great price for the quality purchased as bulk. Do yourself a favor, etc., etc, etc. Five stars. This was my first bowl of this blend and I'll never be without it again. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

How out this then...

McClelland Master Penman (provided by NISMO)

TIN note: "With this mellow aromatic blend we honor Master Penman Michael Sull whose incredibly beautiful Spencerian penmanship is internationally recognized and can be seen on many pipe club presentations. His preference for soft, fragrant blends is the inspiration for this elegant pecan-flavored pipe tobacco. We hope it will enable you, in Mike's words, "to achieve the highest degree of pleasure and blow the perfect smoke ring.". Released at the 2014 IPCPR trade show in Las Vegas, NV

JIMLNKS SEZ:

The pecan topping is sweetly nutty as you would expect, and though it's the main flavor, it does not overwhelm the other toppings. The cinnamon adds a nice, mild spice note that contrasts well with the light vanilla hit. The black cavendish has the vanilla notes you expect, but in a small amount. The burley is barely noticeable, and I suspect the light honey comes from gold cavendish, though I wonder if there's some Virginia present because I get a hint of grass in the smoke. Burns a little slow and requires a few relights, and will leave some moisture in the bottom of the bowl, but not really any dottle. The flavor is consistent all the way to the end, but at times, I get a syrupiness that hints of a chemical. It really isn't distracting, but I have noticed it. Three and a half stars, but not quite four."

Me? Interesting in the pouch re the mix of cuts here...large black chunks + medium brown medium size torn leaf + almost shag-like lighter brown leaf. Supposed to be black cavendish, Cavendish and Burley. Looks right. Good mechanics, good manners. Good flavor...yes, consistent down the bowl...nice & smokey...mild approach to its Aro flavors of pecan & light cinnamon...lets the Burley peek through on occasion. Pleasant. Easy. For me, if I'm going to have an Aro with a very light presentation of the flavors...I'd then like to have the Burley showing through a bit more. But this is intended by McClelland, as described...so they achieved what was intended, and nicely. Bitters a tad at the end. If you're looking for Vit N, look elsewhere.

Smoked in my MM Cobbit Shire..

Blackhorse":6lns42vb said:
Today...the classic McClelland Fragrant Matured Cake.

Manufacturer's notes: This is a really distinctive tobacco that will enable you to satisfy and upgrade many aromatic smokers who have been sacraficing cleaness of burning to obtain a sweet aroma.

Drums and Beer, whose tastes I've found nearly identical to mine, says...

"Fragrant Matured Cake is one that I have been enjoying quite a bit. The flavor has a delicate vanilla, coconut and clove taste and the smoke is somewhat sweet. At a slow sip it's gentle and creamy, when puffed more aggressively there's a touch of spice and a tasty bittersweet edginess tingles the senses. It's just as sweet as most quality aromatics only with more tobacco flavor and without any bite or chemical like off-flavors. Like most McClelland broken flakes it comes overly moist, firmly pressed and requires a thorough rubbing out and a good amount of dry time. All of this of course is well worth the effort. From top to bottom, this is a very enjoyable tobacco with a delicate flavoring that perfectly enhances with the naturally-sweet Virginia. Fragrant Matured Cake produces a pleasant room note that my wife continually compliments. An outstanding bulk blend that seems to only get better with age and it's also a great value."

My experience in the Cobbit Elf...(rapidly becoming one of my favorite pipes)...

Ahhh. A standard form McClelland broken VA Flake...Dark and rich...easy to work...good manners...edging up on the Brit fragrant flakes likely without intending to. Proof that an American maker can produce a lively stinky Flake of the highest quality and most delightful scenting. As I do with my beloved No. 7 Broken Flake or Glengarry, I took a nice pinch of the stuff and inserted it lightly into the bowl of my MM Cobbit Elf tamper it to fit, then topped it with some well rubbed to ease the lighting. Mine was not delivered damp and easily took a flame from my favorite...a silver Pearl Eddie...the world's only truly flawless lighter. This blend is nirvana in a bowl. Truly fine. It's what an aromatic tobacco blend should be...has it all. Great price for the quality purchased as bulk. Do yourself a favor, etc., etc, etc. Five stars. This was my first bowl of this blend and I'll never be without it again. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Oh my, yes, better every time I smoke it....

Indeed a yummy weed

So, the question is begged.
I cannot count how many aromatics to which you've subjected yourself. I have not smoked an aromatic since Tinder Box Reserve 1928 which was a McClelland blend.
Of all the aromatics you sampled, which two or three would you rate as your favorites?

So, the question is begged.
I cannot count how many aromatics to which you've subjected yourself. I have not smoked an aromatic since Tinder Box Reserve 1928 which was a McClelland blend.
Of all the aromatics you sampled, which two or three would you rate as your favorites?
I would like to see the favorites too. It seems the whole thread stopped before to see the results.

Is it scientific? No way!

Will it be biased? Not at all!

Will it be selective? Very!

Is it just a big mooch attempt? You be the judge.

Have I lost my mind? What mind?

This month I have gone out on a limb and started sawing it off behind me. I decided I have never really given American Aromatic blends a fair shake and that there were certainly many fine, high quality items out there that needed... no...DEMANDED to be heard...er, smoked.

So I went on a binge and purchased 1 - 2 oz of each of the following blends after really some pretty exhaustive research on the review site. I picked things that received really good reviews and that I thought I would like...til my money ran dry.

ALSO - if I have neglected a blend that you think is just the most wonderful thing ever in the whole world...let me know...and send me a sample if you want it in this silly event.

What NOT to recommend: I will not consider Cherry blends or anything with Latakia. Why? Simple, I hate 'em both. Gak! Kaff! Kaff!

Here's the list I have purchased (shows my serious intent):

1) Lane RLP-6
2) Lane LL-7
3) Lane BCA
4) Milan Sunset Rum
5) Milan Wall Street
6) Milan Doctor's Orders

7) Milan Lucky 7
8 ) Milan Evening Stroll
9) Milan Reflections
10) McClelland 401 Darkest Caramel

11) MacBaren 7 Seas Black
12) Scotty's Butternut Burley
13) Aged Burley Kake
14) Sutliff Blacksburg
15) Orlik Racing Green
16) Orlik Club Mixture
17) Orlik Golden Mixture
18) Orlik Mellow Mixture
19) McClalland 402 - Chocolate Cream
20) McClelland TQ - Top Quality Gold & Toasted
21) Gawith Red Style
22) Peretti Boston's Best Cavendish
23) Peretti Ebony

Blends from here down were donated

24) Gawith Top Black Cherry (being submitted by Drums & Beer)
25) Lane 1Q (being submitted by Drums and Beer
26) 4 Noggins Three Blind Moose (submitted by Simple Man)
27) P&CC Snowdrift (donated by Simple Man)
28) Sutliff Peach Pie (donated by Ozark Wizard)
29) Dan Devil's Holiday (donated by Ozark Wizard)
30) Scotty's HCPS Trout Stream (from ajn27511)
31) Lane Black Raspberry ( donated by kelhammer)
32) McClelland Master Penman (via nismo270r)
33) Straus Tobacconist Sleepy Hollow (via nismo270r)

Blends purchased or donated mid-event:

34) Peretti Black Virginia
35) Peretti No Name
36) Peretti Blend 1072
37) Peretti Blend DD
38) Peretti Original Mixture
39) Peretti Belmont
40) Gawith Rum Flake (from fsu92john)
41) WO Larsen Signature (from fsu92john)
42) The Country Squire Cherokee (Virginias and Steamed Cavendish)
43) The Country Squire Parson's Blend (Fruit and Burley)
44) The Country Squire Rivendell (Nutty, Woodsy, Cocoa)

(Blends in bold type have been tested with results posted)

Anything I missed?

Anyway...results will be posted over this Fall.

___________________,

This thread will not be a forum for negative discourse on the relative merits of any brand or blend. Any and all negative or trolling comments will be removed immediately. If you like something, add to the thread...if not, keep it to yourself. It's the Bambi Rule.

Bottom Line...Be warned: Anyone donating to the cause will receive tobacco from this event back at least in the amount that they donated, and likely much more. The blends and amounts will be at the sole discretion of the author. Thanks for your support.

Now...let the games begin!
I have smoked and reviewed just a ton of aromatics and still am. it's my Friday thing . Here is my list of top 20 blends based upon my sampling for consideration:

BLENDERPRODUCT
Country SquireOld Toby
Mac BarenScottish Mixture
Paul’s Pipe ShopArrowhead
Country SquireSecond Breakfast
Country SquireRivendell
SutliffRum & Maple
BoswellCupcake
SutliffCrème Brule
The Story Teller's PipeM/M Log Cabin
WilkePeanut Butter
BoswellSweet Tea