The Great Larder Tour 2011, pt. 1 -- Peretti's Cuban Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
According to the L.J. Peretti website, Cuban Mixture is:

"Our oldest mixture, this combination of seven different tobaccos was originally blended by L. J. Peretti at the turn of the century. Exceptionally mild and smooth, it can be smoked all day by itself or blended with other mixtures for a milder effect."

Comprised of broken ribbons of darker shades, the first thing which stands out with this blend is its tell-tale "Peretti funk," an unmistakable quality which I have encountered across much of the Peretti line (both Burley and VA blends). It is delicious, and something I have not encountered elsewhere. While certainly smooth, Cuban Mixture is not mild, but rather quite rich and heavy bodied, with a bit of the old vitamin N making itself know fairly early on. The flavor profile tends towards the darker side of things, earthy like a well-aged cigar with a savory, mushroom-like quality that I find quite appealing. I would cellar this.

sometimes that herbal additive overwhelms me and I do not like this, other times I think it's the best Burley ever. I have kind of jumped ship to C&D Burleys because of my inconsistent reaction towards Peretti.

Kapnismologist":wldc613s said:
According to the L.J. Peretti website, Cuban Mixture is:

"Our oldest mixture, this combination of seven different tobaccos was originally blended by L. J. Peretti at the turn of the century. Exceptionally mild and smooth, it can be smoked all day by itself or blended with other mixtures for a milder effect."

Comprised of broken ribbons of darker shades, the first thing which stands out with this blend is its tell-tale "Peretti funk," an unmistakable quality which I have encountered across much of the Peretti line (both Burley and VA blends). It is delicious, and something I have not encountered elsewhere. While certainly smooth, Cuban Mixture is not mild, but rather quite rich and heavy bodied, with a bit of the old vitamin N making itself know fairly early on. The flavor profile tends towards the darker side of things, earthy like a well-aged cigar with a savory, mushroom-like quality that I find quite appealing. I would cellar this.
First of all, great review Kap! Secondly, Cuban Mixture is something that I bought from Peretti's a few years back and cellared a good bit. I have never really been able to decide whether I love it or just like it, if that makes any sense. I will say that after two years, it has mellowed out considerably and is much better than I remember it being fresh. With an open jar in my desk drawer at the moment, I think I will smoke this mixture a little more frequently in several different pipes and try to decide whether or not I truly love this blend. If so, I will probably be sure to order more. Other than Solani ABF, I still haven't really found my quintessential Burley blend.

-Scott