The Great Larder Tour 2011, pt. 2 -- JP’s Cool Hand Fluke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
John Patton’s Cool Hand Fluke

According to 4Noggins, this blend is:

“A mixture of Virginia tobaccos create a rather complex background for Perique. At times it goes unnoticed, and other times you taste the characteristics of the sweet, hay like Virginias. Ever present, however, is the earthy pungency of the Perique.

A fairly substantial Va-Per ribbon blend with an emphasis on the Perique. While not overbearing, those with an aversion to the stewed leaf may want to steer clear. While the Virginias add a sweet backbone to the mix, some of their nuance (which does come through now and again) gets lost in the rich fig-like notes of the main player. The blend reminds somewhat of C&D’s Bayou Morning in overall character, although less peppery and with a bit more body. Might cellar down the road, but not high priority.

I believe the sample you smoked was rather young. It improves with age, but I've never had any more than just two years or so. For the money, it might be worth jarring a pound or so to see what develops.

Natch

Thanks for the review, Kap. I've heard great things about John's blends and being a guy who can't get enough of the "stewed leaf", I'll be checking out Cool Hand Fluke for sure.

Natch":pikx96ho said:
I believe the sample you smoked was rather young. It improves with age, but I've never had any more than just two years or so. For the money, it might be worth jarring a pound or so to see what develops.

Natch
Yes, it was dated 3/11. In that case, I may well include some in an upcoming order to jar up for aging and revisiting down the road. Thanks!

I'm on bowl 8 and this tobacco refuses to yield a consistent profile. The two-back version was my standard taste of VA/Periques, what I would call an irresistible rainbow of VA flavors, as tasty and sugary and spicy as a "3X the Chocolate Snickers"; then VA with a dominant sour, musty, deep Perique; now the same as 2 but with a vivid Perique sour and a more congenial VA pairing.

What I love most about John Patton blends is their originality, which is to say their difference from anything else I've smoked, difference that makes you take notice, a difference that enhances the blend.

Oh my god, you guys can get a lb of this stuff for £23, what the hell is going on in the UK, that would cost over £100 here ($160), no wonder you guys have got HUGE cellars.... this just aint right man, god-dam UK taxtwats always ripping us off, it's enough to make ya cry I am officially jealous, you lucky lucky devils.

Sounds like a delightful smoke though, shame we don't get it here, mind you, once the taxtwats get their own way it'd be just as costly as everything else here, oh joy.

Due to several events I sold all my pipes and tobacco last spring. But now I'm smoking again and I've tried to rebuild a cellar. I've spent $600.00 in two months and now have about 8 lbs.

Not looking forward to when the US requires the ~200% tax that the UK, Canada and Mexico have. I'm sure I have the details garbled but these are oppressive systems.

John Patton blends are a steal for $37/lb.

You have to keep in mind if we were buying in our home State or across the counter versus internet there would be a significant tax burden in most locales.

Probably not as much as the UK but I would have to add about 60% to that cost if my local guy got it for me.