The Great Larder Tour 2011, pt. 4 -- SG Kendel Cream Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Samuel Gawith Kendel Cream Flake

Described as:

“This selection of blended Burley and Virginias offers a mild and creamy smoke from a medium density flake. With an added essence, the pipe smoker who derives pleasure from an easy to rub out flake will certainly enjoy Kendal Cream Flake.”

As one would expect from SG, this is a well-prepared, light to medium colored flake which is easy to smoke. While not particularly a fan of the Lakeland style, the topping here is applied quite lightly, reminding of the subtle hints of added essences one encounters in the K&K versions of the Fribourg & Treyer flakes, for example. What the essence is, I cannot tell, but one knows it is there (I suspect it would be much more prominent in a fresh tin, this sample having been bagged). When it comes to blends containing Empire leaf, detecting the proportion of burley to Virginias is a bit tough for a palate accustomed to the corresponding American varietals used by McClelland and C&D, but the balance is nice whatever it may be. Smooth with a, yes, creamy mouthfeel, Kendal Cream Flake is a pleasant diversion (especially when sipped), although not one I would likely put much effort into seeking out. That said, I would likely not pass up a bowl either.