The heartbreak of breaking a stem! (long)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, the other night for the third time in my life, I broke a stem!  :x  

Unlike the previous 2 times where it was due to removing the stem for cleaning, this time I was a total klutz and dropped it on the driveway pavement while knocking out the ashes after a bowl. Can't even think how this could've happened, but bang there it went!

Managed to snap off the stem about 1/2" below the button. Pretty clean break too, just the 2 pieces. And this happened to be one of my most favourite smokers too, a humble Stanny Legend 19 which I use 2 times/wk and is dedicated to 5100. So ya, I was not terribly happy when this happened. :(

OK, so the thing to do now is get it repaired or replaced. And the last time I had a snapped stem on a Ser Jacopo I sent it to Mike Myers, who not only made me a new stem but also repaired the original to where you couldn't tell where the break was. And that's the stem I use, not only since it's the original but also has the logo which the replacement does not. No structural issues when clenching (which I'm trying to do less these days).

The only downside was that it took like 3+ months for Mike to get to my work order. And while the cost was inconsequential (relatively speaking) the time it took seemed a bit much. Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all dissatisfied with Mike's work. He does a great job for a very reasonable price. And the repair job impressed me. It was only the time it took that was a downside.

To be fair, one can view all Mike's work orders on his site. And it's also fair to say he takes his time with every job to make sure it's as good as he can do. I understand and appreciate that TLC.

So, to make a long story even longer and looking at Mike's repair schedule I took the advice of many here (and on another site) and decided to have Norwood's Pipe Repair do this task.

I learned that their site had been down for various reasons, but did get an e-mail address for Ken who has apparently taken over for Floyd. And the reports I've read have nothing but praise for them both before and after.

Among the claims that interested me were "great service", "reasonable cost", and especially "short turn-around time". I'd sure like to have this pipe back on-line sooner rather than later, and 3+ months seems a bit excessive.

OK, so it's off to Ken at Norwood. And my request is to both have him repair the stem and make me a new one. I've also read that they can replicate the logo on a new stem, which Mike Myers could not. And that would be a plus. Bear in mind this is not in any way intended to be disrespectful to Mike Myers.

Ken did tell me however that he'd have to look at this before deciding if they could do it. It's just the Stanny "S" in gold with a little gold "crown" above it. It's not a deal breaker but would be great if they could.

So we'll wait and see what happens from here. And that's all TMI for many who have persevered to the end of this rather looooong post! Ya, I'm long winded at times.

And all this for a factory pipe which prolly cost me all of $100!!!!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

I've only broken two pipes, but it's an awful feeling every time. I hope the repair goes well!

I feel your pain Rande! Hope you get her back quickly with a new logo stem. Keep us posted.

Jim

That is one sounds that makes us all wince. I'll hope to see some pix of the new stem soon. On my last repair to Norwood, the pipe was delivered, he made the new stem and called me to let me know it was ready to ship all before USPS emailed me that it had been delivered to his shop.

Ah, that's tough luck Rande. Thankfully I am yet to experience the displeasure of such misfortune. Hope Ken can square that Stanny for you mate. Fingers crossed!

I remember trying to sell a nice pipe once and being on the phone with the buyer, answering questions and measuring specific dimension, etc. I was bumbling around with a ruler, the pipe and the phone when the pipe lept from my grasp, did a one and a half with a twist and landed on the brick hearth...stem went spinning away opposite the strummed. Instead of "done deal" it was "deal done". Nasty.

You've sent it to one of the BEST in the business!! I've used 'em for several years now and NEVER had a problem one !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":poc11gth said:
You've sent it to one of the BEST in the business!! I've used 'em for several years now and NEVER had a problem one !! :twisted: :twisted:
Good to know, and thanks Michael. Since I posted this there's been references to less than satisfactory experiences with Norwood. And while I now remember that thread that was posted in the link, it wasn't forefront in my mind when I decided to use Norwood. So, what can I say at this point....?

I decided to use a new service. I would've used Mike Myers again if not for his backlog. So we'll see from here. And hope for the best.

Cheers,

RR

Just took delivery. Ken from Norwood made me a new stem in exactly the same dimensions as the original. Looks great, but he wasn't able to put the Stanny logo on it.

Never mind that, just fired it up and it still smokes great with aged 5100 which it's dedicated to!

Fast turnaround, way great price (under $30), and he cleaned and buffed it. I'm satisfied and will use Norwood again. I highly recommend Norwood.

Now to see if I can repair the broken stem. :!:

Cheers,

RR