The Holidays Are Officially Over

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holiday isn't over for me until January 7th................ :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I have heard my wife, being from NYC, talk about White Castle burgers.

Down here when I was growing up it was Blue Mist Diner BBQ, Little Dixie or Troutmans and a whole host of other BBQ joints that are too many to name. The first fast food place we got was a Hardee's and that was because it originated in Rocky Mount, NC and of course Gardner's BBQ which was owned by the same man that created Hardee's, Jim Gardner.

If you don't like NC Eastern Style BBQ there is just plain something wrong with you!

Bob, Just ask Mr. Tarler.

Is it smoky?Is it pork,beef or chicken?Does it involve eating with fingers?If so-it has to be good! :lol: I love barbeque so well that I had to learn the art.And no-my ribs are never boiled!!!
Ribs,potatoes,cornbread,iced tea,then a bowl of Escudo after....
Tony

NC BBQ is aight in ma book. The only time I ever snubbe BBQ is up in the Northern part of Wisconsin, went in asked for a BBQ with fries and a coke. They said the dont have fries and coke only fatfree taterchips and unsweet tea or bottled water... I says "Thank ya maam" as I walked out the door.

The best I've ever had is down there in Texarkana Ar, lil run down BBq shack just across from the Flying J, German style Tatersalad and both beef and pork BBq. Dadgum good.

Tony
Eastern NC BBQ is always pork! Done right it is cooked for about 10-12 hrs in a pig cooker over charcoal, never propane. The sauce is vinegar and "secret spices". The barbarians in the western part of the state add ketsup to the sauce; never done in the eastern part of the State. Nothing better than a good pig pickin

Man,ya can't go wrong with pork!And to subject it to anything like propane is pure blasphemous BBQ heresy!
I made some ribs from a recipe in a Marlboro cookbook,spice rub with a viegar and mustard "mop sauce";not bad!
I think another holiday tradition with my wife and I is missing BBQ at the end of the holiday.If I recall,I had to fire up the Weber on the Saturday after New Years Day last year.It's going to be 50' here Sunday.....hmmmmmmmm......BBQ......
Tony

Tony,

I know what the temperature can do to mess up Webering. We are at 2500 feet here in Northern Cal. and it can get cold this time of the year. We always have a Webered turkey on T'giving and a prime rib for Santa's day. Have no fear Dad! My geek ass punk dumb shit boogernose engineer son does a "quantitative" approach to Webering. Digital thermometer and copious notes from years gone by. He, literally, has charts and graphs and "plots" meat size and weather against number of coals and how often to add them. A real nerd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT. Hasn't been wrong yet. Always brings good cabernet and my grandson and daughter-in-law with him. Sounds generous until you consider that Momma and I put his ass through school.

Mega regards to you and yours.

Tony Ferrill":ttue95y9 said:
Man,ya can't go wrong with pork!

:pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: The other white meat :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

I always use a rub that's made up of brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, a little salt, oregano. I hit the meat with a few shots of tobasco and worchestershire, then rub the Rub into the meat and let it sit a while, then roast in a low oven (275 - 300) for a couple of hours (depending on how thick and what kind of cut - ribs and brisket don't take as long). Once the roasted rubbed meat cools (an hour, 2 or 3 days in the refer) then it goes over a bed of coals and maybe some damp wood chips for a slow cook to get the great smokey barbecue taste mixed with the roastiness of the meat. Regular old barbecue sauce is maybe dabbed on the last few minutes before it comes off the grill, but it's always used sparingly.

Mo betta pig! :pig: 8)

Never did experiment with the eastern vinegar sauces but always wanted to. One of these days.......