The "House" medical drama

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LL

Reaction score
Is a 21st century update of the Holmes character. The series creators freely admit it, and have fun sprinkling Holmesian clues throughout the show. (His apartment is #221, etc.) Lots of clever wordplay hints, too, such as "House" being a synonym of a homonym for "Homes."

Kind of cool, huh? 8)

Funny, I love SH but don't watch House. My wife watches House but has never read SH. I'll have to point that out to her and maybe she'll give it a read... unlikely though...

-Andrew

That makes such total and satisfying sense once you point it out! The narcotics addiction, the foil named Dr. W___son...

They also both really nail down that sense of "I'm not arrogant; I'm just always right." I love Holmes, and he's the "good guy" in the stories, but he never struck me as all that likeable.

I never watched the show before, thinking it was more of a "chick" show but I will have to check it out now.

jhuggett":v5tzrist said:
I never watched the show before, thinking it was more of a "chick" show but I will have to check it out now.
You're not far off on that thinking, J. I've watched it a few times, not at all a bad show, but it's more for the fairer sex than for the gents. My upstairs neighbors, women all, have every episode squirreled away on their Tivo and watch it constantly. I'll have to point out the Sherlock Holmes thing to them. They might never watch it again :) They recently blanched at the Holmes volumes in my home library while looking for something to read :)

I like the SH/House comparison, well done ol' boy. I also see it, but the tormented genius end is over played in my opinon, in one of the Law and Order franchises (I can't tell them apart anymore).

On a slight sidenote, in the preferance to a novel, Savage Detectives by a Mexican author Roberto Bolaño, they explain the appeal of detectives as literary devices. People that exist seemingly only to seek the truth, just a modern day version of people going on a quest for the Holy Grail, their existence becomes the search.

I own all four seasons of House on DVD. Me and the wife love having House marathons. 8)

jhuggett":4k8zqriy said:
It is very much a chick show, but still has some highly redeeming qualities. I've seen the first four seasons and have grown fond of the plot line. If nothing else it is extremely witty and the SH references are fun to watch for.

The funniest thing for me is that I watched the entire first season before I knew that Hugh Laurie actually speaks with a think english accent! Afterwards I started watching Blackadder and was even more impressed w/ Laurie's acting! Then he sang on Saturday Night Live and I was floored once again! This guy can truly do it all. One of the most talented entertainers in the business for sure!

The writers get carried away sometimes.A couple of weeks ago there was a
lesbian doctor who climbed into a patients bed[another woman] and clamped
on to her.I was watching with my wife and I let out a roar of laughter at such
a scene.Then I wondered outloud why no nurses crawled into my bed last time
I was hospitalized. :shock:

Winslow :sunny:

Irene Adler":qg2fgzte said:
This makes me happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5pwLzSBdBc<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e5pwLzSBdBc" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok, That was cool!

Speaking from a Guy position (Well mine anyway)- I love House. The SH references are so enlightening.....Holmes hated to be bothered with the trival crimes, and each episode, someone has to bend over backwards to show House how unique a case is before he'll even consider getting involved.
Both Played music.
The obvious narcotic references
Seems there is really only one Woman for either.
Neither were bothered much with sparing peoples feelings
So many parallels! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I started checking out House after reading the earlier posts on this thread and I must say I like it. House is such an a**h*** of which I can relate. The only other show I watch with any regularity is 24.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":ptwsaia4 said:
The funniest thing for me is that I watched the entire first season before I knew that Hugh Laurie actually speaks with a think english accent! Afterwards I started watching Blackadder and was even more impressed w/ Laurie's acting! Then he sang on Saturday Night Live and I was floored once again! This guy can truly do it all. One of the most talented entertainers in the business for sure!
I once saw an interview with Hugh Laurie. In it, he said that playing Dr. House gives him a headache because he has to keep his accent straight and remember all of the medical terminology for his lines.

I met a British couple in Playa last summer. They told me that it was really strange for them to consider Hugh Laurie in any kind of serious role because he had been pretty well type-cast as a Wayans Borther-type over the top silly comedian.

He's pretty impressive IMO

richmondesi":03r4pd74 said:
I met a British couple in Playa last summer. They told me that it was really strange for them to consider Hugh Laurie in any kind of serious role because he had been pretty well type-cast as a Wayans Borther-type over the top silly comedian.

He's pretty impressive IMO
That's sort of like if the Monty Python movies had never been a success here. John Cleese could have a serious career here, and he tried from what I understand, because no one would think of him as a goof ball.

During the past 6 months I have become a House addict, with no reasonable explanation. My wife can't figure it since I usually hate stupid serial type doctor shows. Something about House has grabbed me. Now I am enlightened, I never made the Holmes connection but it is so clear now. Thank you all.