The joy of stumbling upon a great pipe/tobacco combo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
wow. i cracked a tin of Union Square i bought at the pipeshow ( chicago) loaded up a Tom Eltang short, possibly nosewarmer, oval shanked billiard and found a delightful combination! At first i thought the tobacco had already changed in the four months its been in the tin , which would shock me, but now i think its one of those special combos. i have smoked many different virginia blends in this and never found the right baccy for this pipe, till now. now 2 tom Eltangs dedicated to Union Square! 8) :drool:

I believe a churchwarden or longstem pipe will never deliver the taste that
a well engineered standard length[or shorty] does.

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":6bojrc5u said:
I believe a churchwarden or longstem pipe will never deliver the taste that
a well engineered standard length[or shorty] does.

Winslow :sunny:
Oh for the love of all things Canadian ... thou blasphemer :lol:

I'm kidding of course, I've never tried a nose warmer, though some are very nice indeed. I like the look of something short and chubby myself, like a shortened Author.

Some pipe n baccys go together like peanut butter n jelly.
I've got an Akropolis Amadaus that smokes FVF beautifully (carried them with me today). I also have a Savenelli 320 with balsa filter that smokes Devils Holiday wonderfully (that was yesterday). These pipe/baccy combos are the standards of my meager collection.

My sense is that, as much as the pursuit of fine tobacco or exquisite pipes are a noble crusade, the matching of pipes & tobacco are the true holy grail of pipe smoking. This is truly where science ends & art begins. I'm still looking for the perfect Union Square match amongst my pipes. I'm close with a Pete gold spigot bulldog, but it's not perfect. The search continues.

...the matching of pipe and tobacco is the true Holy Grail of pipe smoking. Where science ends and art begins...
I think you are absolutely right. As is discovering the right technique for this specific tobacco in this specific pipe.

But nothing stays the same in pipe smoking, and yesterday's Holy Grail suddenly fades. I had several mystical experiences smoking Escudo in a fat Savinelli Punto Oro bent. And then I either lost it or the moon suddenly went over into another quarter and it all just went away. The search goes on!