The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
A page turner for sure. Slav was captured by the Russians before the outbreak of WWII. He was sent to a Siberian labor camp. He and half a dozen other prisoners hatched a plan to escape the camp by walking to freedom -- to India. (Just look at your globe.) They figured that the Russians would search to the West, since no one with a grain of sense would attempt to walk South in a Siberian winter. Their captors believed the camp was inescapable. The ingenuity, bravery and plain old determination of these men will have you rooting for them with every page. They were even able to scrounge tobacco.

KevinM":2o4q4h5i said:
A page turner for sure. Slav was captured by the Russians before the outbreak of WWII. He was sent to a Siberian labor camp. He and half a dozen other prisoners hatched a plan to escape the camp by walking to freedom -- to India. (Just look at your globe.) They figured that the Russians would search to the West, since no one with a grain of sense would attempt to walk South in a Siberian winter. Their captors believed the camp was inescapable. The ingenuity, bravery and plain old determination of these men will have you rooting for them with every page. They were even able to scrounge tobacco.
I'll be looking to read this Kevin. Sounds right in my wheel house right now.

8)

Cheers,

RR

riff raff":72hnh5h4 said:
I'll have to get that one.  I've seen the movie adaptation, "The Way Back", which was excellent.  I didn't know it was a book originally.  The movie is definitely worth watching.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-11900920

The movie trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kezJTpyMI
Just now finished the book, and have to say it was one of those I just couldn't put down. Finished it up in like 4 days and was sorry to come to the end of it.

What an incredible story, although the account of going 13 days without water didn't seem possible, as I've heard that one can go about 3 weeks without food yet only about 3 days without water. And those 13 days were spent in the Gobi desert!

Still, one of the best reads I've ever had. Thanks again for the referral Kevin.

And now I'll have to see the movie Al, that is if I can find it.

Cheers,

RR

There is an excellent film of this book staring Ed Harris. It is defenitely worth watching. An unbeliveable story.