The Man With the Golden Dunnie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
Ok, I like Dunhills. They are a great pipe - a bit on the expensive side, but a nice looking classic pipe that you can expect will perform well. Mostly, I like the looks of them as well.

But what is the story here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DUNHILL-GOLD-SHELL-1975-PIPE-RARE-/110992015896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d7a3c218&_uhb=1#ht_1866wt_1114

Does anyone know how someone decided it would be a good idea to create a gold dunnie? And is that real gold leaf, or is it just painted gold?

It is hideous to my eyes, but I am interested in the back story of how this came to be in 1975.

I think it belonged to this guy:

He didn't like how it smoked, and you DON'T want to disappoint him!

goldmember2_zps7ffea411.jpg

I would like to know what karat the gold is. Also how does that pipe breath? It is definitely unique, maybe people buy those to look at and not smoke. I also wonder how many grams of gold is on it? At today"s gold close of 1666.00 an oz, the cost per gram of 14kt gold is 31.00 per gram. If it is 18kt, the cost is 40.00 per gram, and for 24kt it is 53.00 per gram. If it has 3 grams of gold on it, that would be a lot.