The more I look at Don Carlos Pipes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free_byrd15

Reaction score
The more I like the styles. Mario Grandi has some nice looking pipes on ebay but I don't personally like most of the shapes or stems or just all around style. Almost every don carlos I look at on ebay I like. I think I'm gonna try to get one soon!

LOL freebyrd.... I don't know if you could find two more completely different brands of pipe. :)

I like the Grandis I have, don't get me wrong. But Don Carlos pipes are much more.... what's the word.... honed, or something. Grandis are lumpy, and lack symmetry. They are good value.

When you move up to something like a Don Carlos (or a Mastro de Paja, or a Ser Jacopo, Il Ceppo, etc) you are going into a totally different realm of expectation, and the price jump is expected too.

For example, I have a 1bs grade MdP, one of their lower grades. I could see the flame grain INSIDE the unfinished bowl. And this pipe was sandblasted for ring grain. The tenon fits unlike any other pipe I have. Just so perfect. But that pipe doesn't leave the house, either. In my truck.... Mario Grandi!

I don't have a Don Carlos, but I've heard of people who have gotten into those pipes and basically sold away every other pipe in their collection to get more Don Carlos pipes.

If you've got the cash, my guess is that 1 Don Carlos is going to please you more than 3 Mario Grandi pipes.

Just my .02 :sleep:

After a couple years of buying pipes in the under $100 range I also came to the conclusion that quality was what I wanted not quantity.As I learned more about
the hobby I was able to make good decisions about what to spend my budget on.
It was by going to pipe shows and handling the different pipes that I avoided wrong
choices and buyers remorse.
I remember when Peterson came out with the "Rosslare" series I couldn't wait
to buy one,then I saw one in person and didn't like the silverwork,it was flimsy.

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":fbuaw8z6 said:
I remember when Peterson came out with the "Rosslare" series I couldn't wait
to buy one,then I saw one in person and didn't like the silverwork,it was flimsy.

That is one thing about Peterson I can't stand.... they are indeed masters of the completely meaningless, poorly done "upgrade".

That said, their pipes still smoke real good. :lol:

Winslow is right.... there is nothing like going to a pipe shop or show and looking at pipes up close and personal. I spent about six hours in a german shop 15 years ago. They had a wall of Vauen high end stuff, and about 30 drawers full of pipes to boot. I just hadda handle each and every one before buying the only one I could afford. :oops:

I won't be able to handle Don Carlos pipes...cause if I buy one, i'll get it online....

There are some sellers that will accept returns if unsmoked,course your out the
postage but that beats remorse when a couple hundred is involved.

Don Carlos are great pipes that I do not hesitate to recommend. Years back, Bruto used to make the nicest billiards, with great proportions and a unique sense of balance between shank and bowl. Alas, the shape became impossible to find. I don't like the shapes he puts out anymore, but that's only a matter of personal taste. I'm not familiar with the prices charged for Don Carlos pipes these days, but they used to be a great value and I always thought the pipes to be underrated.

free_byrd15":7wl51s6g said:
The more I like the styles. Mario Grandi has some nice looking pipes on ebay but I don't personally like most of the shapes or stems or just all around style. Almost every don carlos I look at on ebay I like. I think I'm gonna try to get one soon!
Please let us know which DC pipe you get. I think you will be pleased. Are you interested in a straight grain or a rusticated DC?

Does Bruto do sandblasts?

I have a long-shanked lovat in a dark, rusticated finish with the new logo (g-clef). The older pipes had a white bar, 90 degrees different than Castello. (Guess that would be perpendicular, wouldn't, it?) Like Baldo Baldi's, kind of. <g>

-bw

I own a single Don Carlos, a nearly magnum sized Canadian. Very good pipe, great smoker. I'd definitely purchase another Don Carlos.

I own one Don Carlos. A 2-note bent rusticated billiard with the white rectangular stripe on the stem. Bought it, brand new/in the box, off a guy several years ago; paid all of $67 yankee dollars for it!! :pirat: Confession....It is one of many pipes I own that I have never smoked!! :shock: FTRPLT

ftrplt":az9e3ob4 said:
I own one Don Carlos. A 2-note bent rusticated billiard with the white rectangular stripe on the stem. Bought it, brand new/in the box, off a guy several years ago; paid all of $67 yankee dollars for it!! :pirat: Confession....It is one of many pipes I own that I have never smoked!! :shock: FTRPLT
Let me volunteer to remedy that situation for you :lol:

My lone Don Carlos 2 Note that I happened to smoke this afternoon to help calm me from the sticker shock of renewing my CDL. A fine smoker with a huge capacity! :D

DC4.JPG

DC2.JPG

Gee thanks, Kiltie!!!!! :lol!: What a guy!!!! :suspect: :pipe: I admit I really need to load up my DC and break it in!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":g7hyztzg said:
Gee thanks, Kiltie!!!!! :lol!: What a guy!!!! :suspect: :pipe: I admit I really need to load up my DC and break it in!!! :cheers: FTRPLT
Or send it to me! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

free_byrd15":rdnbi6gt said:
ftrplt":rdnbi6gt said:
Hey, I had dibs :!: :!: :!:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

kilted1":t5yfith2 said:
free_byrd15":t5yfith2 said:
ftrplt":t5yfith2 said:
Hey, I had dibs :!: :!: :!:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
I started the thread!!! lol

I own 4 DC pipes, all One Notes, two with the old white bar logo, two with the G clef. They are all excellent smokers and well worth the investment. The absolute best is a slightly bent poker, smooth finish, with a rounded bottom, god I love that pipe. It took a year to talk it away from the original owner. :heart: