The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Got a new pipe in a few days ago.  I had pretty high expectations for it. These were met and then some.

A Missouri Meerschaum Charles Towne Cobbler Cob.  There’s a mouthful.  Something about it being done in cahoots with Cornell & Diehl. Whatever.  Very, very nicely crafted. Everything straight and tight. The stem is what really makes it. Lucite. The perfect bend to hang effortlessly while puttering.  Lovely draw, nice and open.  Smokes like only a Cob can.  Wonderful.  

You know...if there were only ever cobs to use to make Pipes...no briar or maple or Morta or olivewood, or real meerschaum, etc. we’d actually be just fine, IMHO.

My first smoke was with a bowl full of Straus Sleepy Hollow.  A new blend for me and very highly recommended. Spice (nutmeg) and sweet dark bread aromas.  Pretty wonderful.

Be all that as it may...this Cob is likely the ideal combination of design and materials.  The result is, to my mind, perfection.  I’ve had lots of cobs over the years. My last favorite was the Natural. A great pipe in many regards. This Charles Towne Cobbler surpasses it.

It’s $25 plus shipping. It’s likely the greatest bargain in the entire world.

I've only had one cob and that was pretty recent (within the last month). After about the 3rd or so smoke out of it I noticed a nice big Crack along the bowl, was quite dissapointed. Will order another one soon as I'm sure, after everything I read about MM cobs, that mine was a fluke.

It was the Missouri Meerschaum Eaton, was only like 2 or 3 dollars so no biggie, will probably get one of their more quality ones in the future

I like it so much I just ordered a second one.  Who knows...some day I might wake up and discover I have one for each day of the week. Lucky seven.

Someone else here said they had seven of these.  I think it was seven...anyway, a whole passel of ‘em.

Anyway...I also took the opportunity to pick up a couple of blends from The Country Squire. Some “Second Breakfast” and “Old Toby” are on their way. That should add to the fun.

Great looking cob there BH! Hope those Country Squire blends hit the spot for you.

Jim

Lord help me but I think I'm gonna order one of those, and fer sure I don't need another pipe.Yet there's something about it that beguiles me.........

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

I told ya' in an earlier thread you were gonna' like the "Cobbler!!" I bought two, saving one for later. The thing just smokes great plus the stem & button just sit in my mouth so dang comfortably!!! Welcome to the club!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":ejadapk8 said:
I told ya' in an earlier thread you were gonna' like the "Cobbler!!" I bought two, saving one for later. The thing just smokes great plus the stem & button just sit in my mouth so dang comfortably!!! Welcome to the club!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Yup. It really is a remarkable stem. And everything else is “right” as well.

I bought a Charles Town Cobbler and it’s a remarkable pipe. Most cobs feel very light in the hand. This one has briar-like heft and very nice balance. Haven’t smoked it yet. Just been admiring it.?

Wanna spruce them up a bit?  1. First sand the cobs lightly using  320 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

2. Then apply Fiebings saddle tan stain to the cob and shank ( I usually put a pipecleaner through the shank with a bend on the
end to keep it from falling out, and for hanging it up to dry. Make sure you wear gloves.

3. Make sure you apply an even coat to the cob and shank. You may want to stain it twice to make sure you have an even coat.

4. Let it dry for several hours (if tacky, let it dry longer)

5. Apply Dura Clear High Gloss Polyurethane Gloss Varnish.  Usually
2 coats.

6. Let dry for 3-4 hours to make sure it is dry to the touch.
WtvpHq9l.jpg